Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Problems, problems ... any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2005, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems, problems ... any suggestions?

I love my car. I'd love to go faster, and faster..... Trouble is I dont know much more that I get from this forum so I depends on your guys, my ability to read and understand and the guys at the garage I go to.

So far I've made a fed mods as follows:

xede, 272 cams, cam gears, injectors, walboro fuel pump, exhaust (headers) manifold, downpipe, race flow cat, complete exhaust, apexi avc-r, supposedly better plugs and wires and maybe a few other small mods that I can't remember right now. I've also installed some important meters and a turbo timer.

I have replaced my k& N cold air intake with the stock intake box but changed to aftermarket filters as I experienced many months of fuel cut problems that I've given up on solving for the time being.

Recently purchased but not yet installed hard pipe intercooler kit and fmic intercooler kit.

Seriously considering to purchase the apexi s-afc 2

Ok, so here goes:

From 'playing' with my avc-r (boost controller) I'm about to boost to about 24lbs. Over 1.69 bars I get boost cut. But lately I get a stuttering (slight backfire) sound when I flatten the pedal. Only when I go Flat out. First I thought it was my fuel level so adjusted my fuel regulator (oh yes, I have one of those also) to abot 24 psi, although another tuner tells me it should be at 38 but still I get the problem. I've tried dropping the boost but the condition remains. Now I'm hearing that it could be the fuel filter (which I can't find and yes, I'm embarassed to admit) and / or dirty injectors.

Question 1. Have any of you experienced and over come this problem? If yes, what did you experience and what solved it?

Question 2. Recently I installed my headers and down pipe but now getting mant metal rattling noises from the back. Garage says that some heat shieds that runs between the pipe and body is displaced with the new mods. Is this an acceptable reason for this noise. I don't buy it.

Question 3. I want the tuners only to answer this. With my mods will a fuel man. system help me get faster? If yes, whats the best one to have why wil it help? Please remember, I already have an xede.

Phew, I've asked a lot here and hope some real help can follow.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 04:35 PM

the fuel filter is attached to the in tank fuel pump under your back seat (driver's side).
Old Sep 8, 2005, 04:38 PM
Account Disabled

Wow, I have no idea why you would need a fuel pressure regulator at your stage. Have you been on a dyno? What is your air fuel ratio? What power are you putting down?
Old Sep 8, 2005, 04:40 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by whiteghost
the fuel filter is attached to the in tank fuel pump under your back seat (driver's side).
That is the pump screen. There actually should be a fuel filter off of the supply line to the fuel rail attached with banjo bolts if it is like the rest of the 4g63's.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 04:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Why are you running an AVC-R when you have an XEDE?
Old Sep 8, 2005, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Wow. I'm just reading my post and seeing all my spelling errors. My english teacher will flip from how good my grammar and spellUn's got.

Thanks for the location of the punp. I just remembered its under the seat. I believe (but may be wrong) that filter inside the tank is more a strainer.

How come you think I wont need a regulator? The one I have is crappy and moves on its own so give me a reason and I'll kick it out like I did my intake.

Unfortunately, I'm in another country and there's no awd dyno here. In fact, there's no dyno at all. So while I have globs of power, all tuning is done while driving up and down the street. Sad but true. So it takes me months to get what you guys can get done on a weekend.

Actually, does anyone know the world's fastest 4g63? Hint: Its a 7 sec 1/4 mile machine.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

avc-r is to directly control the boost. Remember I can make changes immediately, without a pc. And never mind what anyone says .. IT's COMPLICATED!!!
Old Sep 8, 2005, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

come on guys. I really appreciate your input on this. I'm thinking many people in here will meet up with my probs once they continue modding and I'm sure some guys in here have experienced and solved there probs already. So please share your info.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
24psi is too much boost on just pump gas.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo 8 ya
24psi is too much boost on just pump gas.

No it's not. I have been for almost 2yrs. No problem.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

if u say too much boost. tell me what u think can happen at 24psi on pump gas. Keep in mind that boost cut comes in when I really over boost.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOFQ300
No it's not. I have been for almost 2yrs. No problem.
Hell yes it is. Just because you do it doesn't mean there's no problem. At 24psi on pump gas (93oct), you will knock and lose power unless you're tuned overly rich to compensate for it, which only makes you lose even more power.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Hell yes it is. Just because you do it doesn't mean there's no problem. At 24psi on pump gas (93oct), you will knock and lose power unless you're tuned overly rich to compensate for it, which only makes you lose even more power.
Oh I forgot, as I see you have an opinion on every topic posted here you know everything. My car is fine and very well tuned.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOFQ300
Oh I forgot, as I see you have an opinion on every topic posted here you know everything. My car is fine and very well tuned.
I don't know everything, but I know you're not running 24psi on pump gas without knock. By pump gas, that means no alcohol/water injection either...
Old Sep 8, 2005, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Finally a response from a name that I respect. I try to read most of your posts as they seem to be based upon facts and experience.

So, what boost should I plug for? I use the xede maps for 93 octane and use the most radical one they've got but dont know much about adjusting my garphs myself.

Also, what are your thoughts of my stuttering when I go WOT?