Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

warranty and upgrade over 300hp

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2003, 12:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
warranty and upgrade over 300hp

hey all, ive sold 3 of our evos in the past two days, the last one was to shiv who is the owner of vishnu performance in pleasanton, ca.... www.vishnutuning.com ....they are known for the most powerful wrx upgrades, one is a 40hp upgrade and cant be seen, passes smog, and cant be detected by the dealer. it is an ecu code crack that flashes and reprograms air/fuel, timing, etc. and reflectively 'i beleive' will alter boost because of the way the motor runs.... you may know shiv from the project cars he did for sport compact car....
they are puting 600 miles on their new red evo tonight and tommorrow ill try and report back with the real wheel dyno, and this wont be dyno jet [thats just a mathematic guess whereas this real awd dyno -this bad boy costs a cool 120k-] and let you all know what you're putin to the pavement.
these guys are awesome to work with, and currently have the fastest wrx's on the road, 350hp plus to the wheels on the factory motor = 450plus at the flywheel, anyway, check out their link, youll be seeing lots of evo info so you can keep that 5 year 60k active while getting the peak performance from your car, when theyre done with just the ecu theyre confident this car will dust the u.s. sti, a guy that bought the white evo from me is also going to dyno his car and ill report back with the variance of power from one to the other..... have fun with your cars all.......
Old Mar 8, 2003, 12:45 AM
Evolving Member

sweet! i live 10mins from vishnu

they have a 4 wheel dyno too
Old Mar 8, 2003, 01:05 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds promising for Evo owners. I still wonder about this so 350hp eco replacement chip my dealer was talking about, covered under warranty ..
Old Mar 8, 2003, 01:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by digdat
Sounds promising for Evo owners. I still wonder about this so 350hp eco replacement chip my dealer was talking about, covered under warranty ..

maybe he was refering to the ralley art goodies that's supposed to come over. dealer installed and it will retain the warranty.

i'm sure someone else can shed more light on the subject. perhaps someone in the UK?
Old Mar 8, 2003, 03:45 AM
Evolved Member

Did vishnu pay over MSRP???
Old Mar 8, 2003, 04:11 AM

I don't know dude. I may be wrong, but it doesn't seem possible to get an extra 80 horses out of putting a chip in. maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds too far fetched to me. be cool if it is true though don't you think ?
Old Mar 8, 2003, 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

Luv,
I wouldn't doubt it. The European and Japanese cars are all running close to 300hp with the same engine (albeit a slightly lower compression ratio). I think a lot of where the Evo lacks in power lies in the ECU b/c of emission requirements the states had for this car.
Old Mar 8, 2003, 11:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
What I've heard, and have been told about Fuel injected cars, is there's power in there if you optimize the programming..Given this is a turbo car, and it was detuned to the US market.. Its a pretty good guess that 50-80hp is in there just in engine management.. Other minor tweaks to get more air in and out of the engine/turbo could be good for quite a bit of horsepower. And that would essentially be boltons without voiding your warranty...
Old Mar 8, 2003, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Lower compression ratio?....what are you talking about?
Old Mar 8, 2003, 01:19 PM

Re: warranty and upgrade over 300hp

Originally posted by concordmitsunet
when theyre done with just the ecu theyre confident this car will dust the u.s. sti,

HAHAHAHA this is the funnyest thig I have seen sice the Car mags were comparing the EVO to the base WRX 10,000 price difference and all ya thats a big difference from stock, theres a guy an that WRX boards running 12.89's with 248 whp thats 80 hp over stock so ya maybe the EVO will BARELY walk on a STi with its chip but with the same mods or stock the STi wont even be in the same class
Old Mar 8, 2003, 01:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Your forgetting that Tuning is Tuning.. the STi is a tuned version with several addons.. The Ralliart EVO will also be at the same level.. But with money, time, and technology, its a moot point, you can take any car and put it into the 12's fairly easily if its already equipped with the basics that can be tuned.. 248whp is definitely impressive, but the same basic mods can be applied to ANY Turbo car. Your right, just as comparing the stock evo, with the stock WRX is a little unfair because of the price difference.. Comparing the STi is the same unfair comparison in stock form. You really would have to compare the Ralliart tuned EVO with the STI for your argument to be valid. Truthfully, I don't know how either would fare. I have a personal preference to the evo for the simple reason that the WRX is EVERYWHERE around here, and ricers are making them look TACKY, I'm actually embarrassed to even admit that I liked the car when it came out.. and waited till a similar alternative came out.. Which turned out to be the EVO.. However mine WILL NOT BE STOCK.. at least in the driveline, I don't intend to Rice it out, or change anythinge xcept the rims (and that is to preserve the originals) because when your WRX's are as common (And as valued) as a Toyota Corolla.. our first year USDM EVO's will have collector value. Besides, if you REALLY want to take it to the track.. I have a 9 second Malibu that I do drive on the street regularly, its a supercharged 383 cubic inch small block chevy (thats about 6 liters for you tuners) running a conservative 5psi boost making nearly 670hp, and I haven't even tuned the carb or adjusted the pulleys. I am, however amassing parts for an entirely ECU Controlled intercooled twin turbo configuration since Im now sold on the turbo intercooled computer technology that the tuners have developed, and the fact that you can have a dash controlled low/high boost setting which is great for me on the street.
Old Mar 8, 2003, 01:42 PM

Shiv is a well-known Subaru tuner. It will be interesting to see what they get on the dyno since they have dynoed an imported JDM Evo VII before.

If they are able to do ECU re-flashing or piggyback tuning (Exceed, unichip, etc) expect 25-30hp at most. That is nothing to sneeze at, but it will almost certainly have to run on better than 91 octane to get that safely. That is my guess based on what appears to be the highly tuned state of the stock US EVO with 91 octane. If the ECU turns out to be conservative (the Evo VII Shiv dynoed kept retarding timing on the crappy Cali 91 octane) the gains may be better with better gas.

The JDM cars get more hp from the same engine primarily from higher octane gas that allows tighter ECU tuning. Less strict emissions help too.

Beyond just a piggy-back or ecu re-flash, the potential for power increases are obvious. But you guys have really got to stop ******* on the STi. All the upgrades you can do to your Evo are the same things STi owners will do...with similar gains. They are both great cars...so the next time you see a WRX, thank the owner because that is why the EVO and STi are in the US now.

TRS
Old Mar 8, 2003, 01:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally posted by trs94
Shiv is a well-known Subaru tuner. It will be interesting to see what they get on the dyno since they have dynoed an imported JDM Evo VII before.

--snip--

Beyond just a piggy-back or ecu re-flash, the potential for power increases are obvious. But you guys have really got to stop ******* on the STi. All the upgrades you can do to your Evo are the same things STi owners will do...with similar gains. They are both great cars...so the next time you see a WRX, thank the owner because that is why the EVO and STi are in the US now.

TRS
You actually took the words out of my mouth before I got sidetracked by my ego...
Old Mar 8, 2003, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by MalibuJack
Your forgetting that Tuning is Tuning.. the STi is a tuned version with several addons.. The Ralliart EVO will also be at the same level.. You really would have to compare the Ralliart tuned EVO with the STI for your argument to be valid.
No. There is no Mitsu equivalent for the WRX. The STi and Evo have always been arch rivals and directly comparable. The spec c STi and Evo RS are light-weight versions and directly comparable as well.

If there will be a US Ralliart Evo, it will be comparable to a Prodrive Performance Pack STi (which Prodrive US is releasing for US WRXs now, and will for the STi as well). In the UK these retain the warranty. That remains to be seen in the US, but I doubt it.

In the past the Evo has always had the edge on power and track handling, but it seems the gap is almost gone with the JDM Evo VIII and v8 STi. The new STi has many suspension changes and DCCD (optional in Japan). Both have twin-scroll turbos.

The US STi is it's own entity now. Different engine, DCCD standard, spec C front suspension geometry...Subaru brought over what it wanted and Mitsu did the same. The US Evo and STi are direct competitors wether you like it or not. Magazines are mentioning the WRX because that is the only thing they have to compare it to, but they invariably mention the STi is the real competition.

I'm just happy we're finally getting these cars. There will be Evos that are faster than STis and STis faster than Evos. It's all good! Stock for stock nothing will be able to touch Evo or STi.

TRS

Last edited by trs94; Mar 8, 2003 at 02:03 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2003, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: warranty and upgrade over 300hp

Originally posted by concordmitsunet
hey all, ive sold 3 of our evos in the past two days, the last one was to shiv who is the owner of vishnu performance in pleasanton, ca.... www.vishnutuning.com ....they are known for the most powerful wrx upgrades, one is a 40hp upgrade and cant be seen, passes smog, and cant be detected by the dealer. it is an ecu code crack that flashes and reprograms air/fuel, timing, etc. and reflectively 'i beleive' will alter boost because of the way the motor runs.... you may know shiv from the project cars he did for sport compact car....
they are puting 600 miles on their new red evo tonight and tommorrow ill try and report back with the real wheel dyno, and this wont be dyno jet [thats just a mathematic guess whereas this real awd dyno -this bad boy costs a cool 120k-] and let you all know what you're putin to the pavement.
these guys are awesome to work with, and currently have the fastest wrx's on the road, 350hp plus to the wheels on the factory motor = 450plus at the flywheel, anyway, check out their link, youll be seeing lots of evo info so you can keep that 5 year 60k active while getting the peak performance from your car, when theyre done with just the ecu theyre confident this car will dust the u.s. sti, a guy that bought the white evo from me is also going to dyno his car and ill report back with the variance of power from one to the other..... have fun with your cars all.......
Not to knock Shiv - who does decent work . . . but

MY personal car - as tunned by www.pruvenperformance.com - WRX 2.0 L - had the biggest HP dyno number of all time so far with 412 wheel HP without any NOS

Pruven perforamnce is the # 1 upgrade HP tunner in the US - - thier dsm is the fastest non nos dsm in the world in the 1/4 mile

My WRX ran 124 mph in the 1/4 mile - before Shiv gets his pampered panties all in a buntch over the differences between his 350 "real" dyno number vs. my dyno jet 412 hp number - - lets ask - how many fast WRX 1/4 records does Shiv or Vishnu have to thier credit????

I know www.pruvenperformance.com is also getting a Evo VIII and will be realeasing power upgrade kits and parts for the evo viii

By the time Shive releases his evo stuff my car (new evo eviii) will already be running into the 10's

Quick Reply: warranty and upgrade over 300hp