Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

hks vs. greddy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2005, 03:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Titanium would be nice...can't seem to shave the weight off my belly so might as well make the car lighter...

I can't imagine you could go wrong with either company, they are both reputable. One thing you might look for is whether they neck down to 2.5" or so for the cat. I hate that and wouldn't buy an exhaust that did.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 04:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am with you derek, i also have the same exhust as you do and damn right i was shock!! ligther as hellmy hole cat back delete pipe and down pipe are ligther that my stock exhust!! and it also sounds nice and mean.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVOGOD21
i am with you derek, i also have the same exhust as you do and damn right i was shock!! ligther as hellmy hole cat back delete pipe and down pipe are ligther that my stock exhust!! and it also sounds nice and mean.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

i know its off topic but is it true that apex exaust actually give u 26 hp
Old Sep 10, 2005, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave2
HKS have the 1 pieces Ti exhaust released already in Japan and Asia country. Retail is around 1.3k. it have spec A and spec B.
you have to be careful of this cuz i heard it don't have an o2 bung, which is why they haven't released it in america.

i have the greddy... it's perfect and cheap.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SqEvoVIII
I have the Greddy, the first version that has a straight tip and I love it. It's kinda up there in price but I love the sound. You'll probably need a heat shield for the cut out on your bumper. Also think of it this way, you paid XXX amount of dollars for a car that come factory with alot of the top of the line parts. Why go cheap now? I say get the Greddy.
dont agree with you... HKS makes way better products. If you compare prices, HKS is usally more expensive due to the name and reputation and prodcut quality. Greddy is just a cheaper version of TRUST. HKS carbon ti is around 750 while the greddy full ti is aroun 850. THis shows how good the HKS prodcuts are (titanium tip is almost same price as full ti). However, this also shows that Greddy has better deals on their products and doesnt inflate prices. A full titanium HKS exhaust would be in the 1200 range (just like the JIC).

Originally Posted by EVORSPWR
Go with Greddy. Its full Titanium verses just the muffler on the HKS. Given the prices of both exhausts, its truly the better value. HKS and Greddy both make good products. One manufacture just does better than the other in certain areas.
I Agree with this person....

Just my humble opinion.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So how loud is the Greddy titanium? I've noticed that they now offer a silencer with it. Anyone with the exhaust give a reasonable explanation. Such as how loud it is inside the car, outside, idle, part/wide open throttle? ...I'm asking because I live in **** CALIFORNIA.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

I used to have the hks ti. I really didn't like it. The only thing on that exhaust that is titanium is the tip. There a fat resonator on it, is pretty heavy, and tapers where it connects to the cat. I now have the newer greddy ti exhaust (rolled tip) and it is defiantly worth money. Its a little loud, but when u have the silencer in it sounds almost like stock.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

the greddy is louder than the HKS. It is near the legal limit without the silencer.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for all your input. I'm really leaning towards the greddy ti, just worried about the sound. I prefer the angled tip, wouldn't go any other way. My buddy has a 240 sr20det with the greddy ti and its loud as ****, don't really want it that loud but i really want titanium
Old Sep 10, 2005, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

you just about summed it about. Titanium is better as it is WAY lighter. But it is a lot louder. Greddy is straight exit, while HKS is angles exit.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

i thought the greddy is angled as well... http://turboimport.com/catalog/gredd...i_titanium.jpg
Old Sep 10, 2005, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

titanium is the way to go.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Greddy Ti has a very slight angle at exit.
Attached Thumbnails hks vs. greddy-greddyti.jpg  

Last edited by hi_nrg_fizzix; Sep 10, 2005 at 06:36 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Just bought the "regular" HKS hi-power which in performance, is identical to the Carbon Ti HKS. The carbon ti was about $250 MORE expensive than the plain hi-power. For that $250, you get a carbon WRAPPING around a stainless muffler and a titanium tip. Oh and full stainless piping vs. the mild coated piping on the regular version. IMHO, the carbon ti just isn't worth the extra money over the hi-power. My first thoughts on the way home after having the HKS installed was "I've ruined the car" as it was much louder than the stock exhaust. Now a friend took a ride today and he thought it wasn't that bad. I slipped an apexi silencer I had sitting around in the tip and it passed the "wife" test. I don't think it would without the silencer. I have to admit, I'm not fond of the angled tip either. The fitment was perfect. Not sure if it made any additional power, just more noise. I'm sure a good tune will solve that.

I think it's downright criminal how much we as Evo owners have to pay for exhaust systems. A carbon ti exhaust for a third gen RX7 runs under $500. The Greddy Ti is about $500 even. And for what? An extra foot of piping?

If Ti is really that important to you, go with the GReddy.

Quick Reply: hks vs. greddy