Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

NEW EVO OWNER... some tips please

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2005, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking NEW EVO OWNER... some tips please

well i just got my black 05' evoVIII just about a week ago. i could really use any tips or advice as far as maintaining the car. also, i'd like to know whats the best way of breaking it in. if theres a thread like this already i havent found it so if you can link it please.... anyway im sooo happy to be an evo owner.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 03:16 AM
Evolving Member

well congrats and yea evos are the best car ever anyways i just got my new evo too a couple days ago after trading in my own one i would recommend going easy on it untill u hit 1000 miles no less, just shift no higher then 5 grand i shift at 4 for now and dont accelerate quickly or brake hard just drive it easy till ur atleast at a 1000 miles and ur engine should be set
Old Sep 11, 2005, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by EvOwanKenobi08
well congrats and yea evos are the best car ever anyways i just got my new evo too a couple days ago after trading in my own one i would recommend going easy on it untill u hit 1000 miles no less, just shift no higher then 5 grand i shift at 4 for now and dont accelerate quickly or brake hard just drive it easy till ur atleast at a 1000 miles and ur engine should be set
ok cool! ive been shifting at around 3 cause i was afraid 4 would be too much. but i guess i was being a bit too careful... ive got about 420 miles on it so far. but man it takes sooo much self-control to not just mash on it. thanks !!!
Old Sep 11, 2005, 03:28 AM
Evolving Member

haha yea tell me about it when i had my first one it was like almost impossible not to mash but now that i have my second one i can control a little bit better since i already know what is capable of it just sucks to have gay little hondas with exhaust go by you when all u wanna do is blow them away. it takes some real self control
Old Sep 11, 2005, 03:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Congratulations! Nice ride...

I drove mine just the way I would always drive from my first test drive in my car. That is just my opinion. Most don't recommend this. No side effects after 20,000 miles though.

Keep the shiney side up.

Flybyevo....
Old Sep 11, 2005, 03:44 AM
Evolving Member

My best advice would be to read everything on this board and maintain the car yourself. Keep all your receipts and detailed records of your maintence. I would never let mitsubishi touch my car. The first dealership I went to told me that they use mitsubishi tranny fluid in the transfercase and the rear diff=bad. Just take it easy the first 1000 miles (<4k rpm), then change the oil and your all set. Do a search on bedding in brakes. Good luck and have fun. Also my advice is to get hooked up with a local club and give autocross a try. It is fun and will teach you alot about car control.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by cuprsnel
My best advice would be to read everything on this board and maintain the car yourself. Keep all your receipts and detailed records of your maintence. I would never let mitsubishi touch my car. The first dealership I went to told me that they use mitsubishi tranny fluid in the transfercase and the rear diff=bad. Just take it easy the first 1000 miles (<4k rpm), then change the oil and your all set. Do a search on bedding in brakes. Good luck and have fun. Also my advice is to get hooked up with a local club and give autocross a try. It is fun and will teach you alot about car control.
awesome thanks man. i've been looking for a local evo club but havent found one yet. theres a car meet that meets every tuesday. they call it "tab tuesday" . damn its hard driving the car easy but for the most part ive been good about that. thanks!
Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:21 AM
Evolving Member

socalevo.net thanks.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by 7for8
socalevo.net thanks.
hey thanks! i see your from walnut i live right by there. do u go to tab tuesdays? im sure you've heard of it.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

tapioca X ?
socalevo.net would be the best place you want to go
by the way, some recommend drive like nuts (rev to redline) for your first 0-7 miles off from the dealer to completely seal your piston rings.. but .. this doesn't apply to you anymore. So, just take it easy, take a vacation to nor cal or something and drive ur evo. by the time u got back, you're ready to mash the pedal
Old Sep 12, 2005, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

My recommendation (as a fellow black EVO owner) is purchase some top quality car care products. The paint is pretty prone to swirls so I would highly recommend a good microfiber towel, wash mit, buffing rags along with a good wax, polish, and protectant.

Here's a site that has some very good information:
http://www.autopia.org/
Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:01 PM

Hey congrats on the new car and welcome to evom, and I guess socalevo soon!
Old Sep 12, 2005, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

sup evo pinay
(what's pinay anyways?)
for the new owner... please go get a clear bar installed.. or you'll regret sometimes later when lots of paint chips in front.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by j
also, i'd like to know whats the best way of breaking it in.
follow whats written in the owners manual
Old Sep 12, 2005, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

DONT GET CAUGHT SPEEDING! (read my sig)