Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

To buy or not to buy.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2005, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
kids in hs will probably f uck your car up. You will have a lot of haters its not even worth it. Just wait, evo is a high maintance car i hope you know that. Its not just the high price for the car and then thats it. The gas,parts and labor will kill you if you didnt have a job.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i say go with the evo if you really want it. thats what i did.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

I would definitely say wait, the financial burden would be too much. When i was in HS, i drove a POS 89 civic that you had to lift up on the stick to shift gears because the linkage was shot. Through out HS all i wanted was a fast, cool car. I saved up for one by working after school,on weekends, and all summer for three years.

I didnt end up buying anything because i went to college. After being in college for a couple years, i bought my Evo and put a $10k down payment on the car with all the cash i had saved up. i worked my a ss off during college to keep that car but it was worth the work and definitely worth the wait. I'm glad i waited and didnt buy a car in HS. I look back and i'm like "what was i thinking?!" The last thing I needed was a really fast car. Your hormones are going crazy and you want to impress everyone. Its just inviting catastrophe. Plus whatever i would have bought wouldn't have been as great as the Evo.

Dont get me wrong having a fast car in HS would have been sweet but i am glad i waited because i was more responsible and could appreciate the car more because i waited. You and your tastes will change a lot between now and when you graduate HS and after. If you wait, maybe in a few years you'll want to buy a Skyline or something.

I learned a lot about cars by working on that POS civic because something new was always breaking. I probably wouldnt have learned as much about cars if i had a new car that didnt break.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

Aa

Last edited by 3vo2005; May 23, 2023 at 07:42 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

insurance for you would be ridiculously expensive on an Evo. It would be less on a Type S but not much. They're both in the "sports car"category.

btw adding power windows to RS = waste of money IMHO.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:16 AM
Evolved Member

seriously...its just not practical...especially in h.s.!! just like evo rc said, "there are a lot of haters' dont do it!! just wait!!!
Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:36 AM
Evolved Member

one of the stupidest thing you can do is buying something you can't...just save up some more money and buy the car later; the car will always be there
Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by BBYBruno
I'm also in college and i'm fine with the evo. and i dont know what everyone is talking about with this expensive maintenance??
You haven't had to pay a $1000 for tires or change your brake pads in the first 10k miles? This car is no joke when it comes to maintenance. Unless you were driving a Ferrari before this, I think most people could tell a huge difference in maintenance costs.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:44 AM
Evolving Member

do what my brother does, go get a used 89-94 240sx and put in an sr20det in it and have fun.
Attached Thumbnails To buy or not to buy.-e08a.jpg  
Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
3evo2005,

I am going to step in as if I was your older brother. You are 16 and there is nothing better than showing up to your high school with a EVO, I know.

Be honest and realistic, you already have a bad *** car for a 16 year old dude, Cmon, ask around this forum and most of the people would tell you that when they were 16 they use to ride in a bus, in a bycicle, walking, car pooling or drivinga POS car.

You being 16 and driving a 99 Eclipse GS-T you shouldconsidered very happy with what you drive, it looks like your parents spoiled you already.

Ok, this is the plan, I don't think you are ready for the EVO yet, you should focus on your school for now. Even though your family is being so kind to lend you some money the plan B of working a part time job for the summer is not going to generetae you much income, specially when the part times jobs are bellow minimum wage for students.

The insurance is another topic, being 16 could ruin you , Yes, I know, you are going to tell me that you are going to be under your parents policy but the insurance companies already know the whole deal and they are going to ask you a lot of tricky questions(how many miles a year, how many miles to amd from work? and all that.

Then you are going to throw the upgrade factor. You are not going to leave your car stock, you want it to sound"racing and sporty" so now you want a full Turboback exhasut, then the BOV so that you can revup the engine in the parking lot of the school so that your buddies know you are there.

Realisticly, even with your family finantial aid, I don't think you are ready in this stage of your life for a EVO yet. Don't downgrade from a Eclipse to a Mustang GT or a Integra Type- S, stay with your ride and get you a Evo in a couple of years once you are graduated from High school.

When I was younger I was cocky too, I was 25 and had a Stealth R/T Twin Turbo AWD modded, then I was 27 and I got a Porsche 911(964) Carrera 4(AWD) Cabriolet red and yes I was very cocky, I use to pull over into a gas station then close the electric top, stick the the rear electric spoiler out and roll up the window with black limo tints just to make the car look like is was all full of gadgets. (silly me)

Everything goes with time.. be patient

my .2c
Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:52 AM
Evolving Member

Dont do it, just keep your Eclipse and have fun in hs. If your not 100% sure about getting one, just dont get one at all. The last thing you want to do is struggle to pay it off, especially while in hs. I had a civic when I was 16, and I wasnt rich either. Wait until you get a little older and have everything under control financially. Good things come to people who wait.......good luck
Old Sep 12, 2005, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

You haven't had to pay a $1000 for tires or change your brake pads in the first 10k miles? This car is no joke when it comes to maintenance. Unless you were driving a Ferrari before this, I think most people could tell a huge difference in maintenance costs.
No. I actually paid $475 for all four tires after 12k, Yokohama Avid H2S High Performance All Season. And for break pads i have not changed them yet and I am at 28,000. As far as oil changes and regualr maintenance the dealship takes care of that since I bought a pitpass with the evo. So no maintenance is not expensive at all.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

why not keep the eclipse? spend a grand or so to fix it, another $2-3K making it faster/better. that'd be enough to make me happy with it and you'd save a hell of a lot over buying an evo
Old Sep 12, 2005, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

dude... do you realize how fortunate you are to have a GS-T at 16?
Old Sep 12, 2005, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

i was 16 when i got my evo.
i paid for all of it, BUT it was all fun and games for a while, then you realize.
if i could do it again i would have saved all that cash i spent buying, modding and maintaining the car, it simply isnt worth it. save the cash, dont lower yourself to the level of taking money from your gma and parents like that for a stupid car. Sure its an evo, but just wait and be patient i garuntee you something faster will come out.
dont listen to the people who drive their car 1 mile every year, its your daily driver and your 16, expect your $$$ to disappear as if its stolen, the maintainence is skyhigh, i know mine was.
I would honestly go back, spend 200 bucks FIRST on a drivers course, then buy a used 300zx with your own money. i ended up doing a drivers course after i had my evo for a while, and i realized that the car i was driving had the limits that a 16 year old will want to touch everyday, especially on the streets.
I just turned 18 and i sold my evo (SMART DECISION) for a loss, but sometimes you realize that even if it is the perfect car for you, its the wrong time to buy it.
ill be buying the evo later where i wont spend a good 20-30% of my cash on it alone. Our s500 AND rx330 is easier to maintain than the evo, we even get service visits at home. I could have easily kept my evo, but i was going for college, and looking back i realize i could have made a better decision.

Buy Gran Tourismo 4 and pm me if you need any further advice.

best of luck to you

Quick Reply: To buy or not to buy.