Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

To buy or not to buy.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2005, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be great for the first few months if you got one, but after awhile the financial burden would become a pain in the ***! Your better off keeping what you have, thats a damn good car to have while your in high school.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

DONT DO IT. You are too young!!
Old Sep 12, 2005, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

i missed the part where you said you drove a eclipse already. if anythign borrow a few k and fix that up and make it faster. thats a cool car, you dont need an evo it will be a burden at your age. and then when you go to college some places dont let you take a car. there are just so many reasons not to buy one yet, than to go out and get one. wait until its not a financial burden, and it makes more sense lifestylewise too. by the way im only 20 if i had an evo in high school it would have been a total waste of money
Old Sep 12, 2005, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mistasparkle
........sometimes you realize that even if it is the perfect car for you, its the wrong time to buy it.........

u can't say any better than this
Old Sep 12, 2005, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

Dude lol.... if you dont have time in highschool to work, then you're definitely not gunna have time in college.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3vo2005
Ok so everyone is pretty much saying don't do it. So what are some alternitives. No one gave me some good ones. What is a good car for around 15-20k. I really want to get rid of the eclipse. If I can get 8-10 for it and get another 10 from parents and grandma what should I get. I really don't want a corolla. Man this SUCKS! I really want an evo but I guess its not gonna happen. haha I guess I have to just stick with going to the dealership once in a while and just sitting in it. I am thinking either mustang but I am not sure about an american car. The srt-4 is not bad but I am not a fan of the looks. What I am thinking is maybe acura rsx type s but I still don't know. If you guys would put yourselves in my situation what would you get?

The biggest, by far THE BIGGEST reason I don't think you should get an Evo is because you are only in High School. Not that I am saying you are irresponsible driver, but I really think that's too young for an Evo.

Now with that aside, I think there are some pride driving you too. Like the thoughts of how well you'll look amongst your peeps Don't let that get in your way.

SRT-4 is not reliable, from what I heard. It's turboed, it's fast, but it's not close to being an Evo.

From my perspective, I think you should get a Scion-tC, or the two-door car. It has around 160-180 hp(?) A lot of after-market support, great gas milage, nice looking interior, great stock wheels, nice exterior stance and agressive-ness, etc.

And you'll be different from everybody else in school
Old Sep 12, 2005, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by BBYBruno
No. I actually paid $475 for all four tires after 12k, Yokohama Avid H2S High Performance All Season. And for break pads i have not changed them yet and I am at 28,000. As far as oil changes and regualr maintenance the dealship takes care of that since I bought a pitpass with the evo. So no maintenance is not expensive at all.
Well, there's the difference right there. It sounds like you don't track your car and didn't stick with the advans so maintenance costs aren't too bad. I'm still surprised your pads lasted that long though. You must take good care of it.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

aa

Last edited by 3vo2005; May 23, 2023 at 07:42 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Here I will step in with advise because I am from the same age group and have had the same basic background. Don't flame me for this post because I know someone will want to do it. Anyway when I was 16 I had a gst and thought it was pretty cool and then I started having problems with it so I traded for an srt-4 when I was 17. Then I just did not like the srt-4 at all so I bought the evo shortly there after. (still 17) My parents got me the loan, but they do not pay for anything except insurance. I have my cell bill, car payment, and any other things I might want. I worked a full time job during high school and still plan to keep it during college it fits around my schedule. If you want the evo then I say go for it, but you will get messed with at school and people will do **** to your car. I really never drove it to school all that much just because I did not trust the people around there. Anyway to get to the point if you want it bad enough then have your parents cosign a loan for you and get it that way. I would not borrow from family though because that could come back to get you. I would not get it though until you get a job that can support the car. Right now it cost me around 41$ to fill up the gas take because you have to use high test gas only none of that 89 oct bul!****. My insurance is also around 250 to 300 a month. So get ready to shell out some money for that and I am still on my parents. If I were you I would just keep the eclipse until you get settled with a job and start having an income.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 04:39 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

If you get a new car you are asking for trouble. No car is worth your future. You will worry about it all the time, spend all your money on it and will not be able to concentrate on school and anything else you do besides your car. Save money.

If anything trade in your Eclipse for something more reliable around the same price. Be glad you have a car, I didn't even have a car to drive until my 3rd year in college.

But it seems you are pretty set on buying a new car, don't come here asking us to justify your purchase if you already know what you want to do.

Last edited by ZK; Sep 12, 2005 at 04:42 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

Aa

Last edited by 3vo2005; May 23, 2023 at 07:42 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Wait untill you can afford it.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

I am already driving a 2dr turbo car so I don't know about insruance but It wouldn't sky rocket that much or will it?
i'm willing to bet it goes up a good amount based on the cost of replacement alone. your 99 eclipse is worth, say, $10k. your 05 evo will be worth closer to $30k. part of what you pay for insurance is based on the value of your car if it is totalled. and i wouldn't be so sure about not getting tickets. the giant wing and a young kid driving gets the attention of police, so whether you were doing something wrong or not you might end up with a ticket.

Well the car wouldn't get involved with my education. Ill graduate high school and start working in college to pay off my grandma. Shes not in a hurry to get her money back so slowly I will just keep on paying her back. I man 15k is not that much over a long time period. I havn't made up my mind I was just asking for some more opinions. The only peoples I hear are my mom and dad.
the only thing i would worry about here is say you start working and going to school and everything is going fine, making payments, etc... then you end up with a lot of work to do (projects in college just come up sometimes and take up all of your time). you wouldn't be able to work and then wouldn't be able to make the payment. then what happens? what if your grandma is counting on your money being there?
putting yourself into that much debt without a certain future is kinda risky imho
Old Sep 12, 2005, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

No No No

Look Junior I would just work the bugs out on your car and mode it. Bushur has some good stuff for it. You dont want to borrow that kind of money at your age, and worst of all from family. You can still have fun with that GS-T and a Big 16g turbo with some supporting mods
Old Sep 12, 2005, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Aa

Last edited by 3vo2005; May 23, 2023 at 07:43 PM.

Quick Reply: To buy or not to buy.