Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

To buy or not to buy.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2005, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SushiSamurai
hey bro. since i was i kid i've been dreamin to get an evo and it became my dream car. it all started since evo 3 came out. no i'm 21yrs. old i can finally afford it. it took me 3 yrs. to to earn for a down payment. i'm in the military and i'm just a low ranking guy. we don't get payed as much as u think and it took me a while to buy it. other than that i'm also in college spending books and all that. i'm 21 and my insurance is still expensive. i deeply understand how u feel bcoz i was in ur shoes when i was 16 but it took me all this time to buy one. honestly i just got my evo last month, used and a 2003 model. just take time and start earning until u have the right anount of money and monthly pament for everything. listen to al of us who replied u. u got to consider gas too that thing has to have premium. just take ur time bro. we know how u feel
I'm with him. I wanted an Evo since before they were even in the US... and guess what, I still don't have mine yet. I'm 23, graduated college and have been working full time as an Engineer for ~ 9 months. Now, I am finally able to look into it (especially with 0%).
Old Sep 12, 2005, 08:22 PM
Account Disabled

Dude I am only 20 and I have had my WRX and EVO. Just be smart when you get out of school and learn to play the system and you will be able to rock 20-30k cars. Besides like mentioned above it could cause family problems and such. NTM for me it was like a milestone in my goals. I had finally reached one of the Japanese supercars I had longed for and all on my own.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 01:16 AM
Evolving Member

here's wat you have to do. go to a stadium during baseball, basketball or football game and wait till the game is over. when it's over ask every person for a dollar who exits from the gate. Do this for couple of months or so then you would have at least 30 grand cash.

example:
10,000 fans x 1 dollar = 10,000 dollars
10,000 fans x .50 cents = 5,000 dollars
10,000 fans x .25 cents = 2500 dollars

Sometimes you gotta work smarter than harder
Old Sep 13, 2005, 01:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get the new civic si and call it a day...evo's are def high maintenance and unless you plan on being single for the rest of your hs life and college years - save up until you can afford one...just my 2cents besides if your 16 and you have the car of your dreams what's the point of going to college and getting a steady 9 - 5?
Old Sep 13, 2005, 02:13 AM
Evolving Member

lol this is still going on? if he wants to get an evo then he should get an evo. hes gonna rely on his parents for the loan anyways, theres no value in a car unless u earned it urself. hes only 16 and no job, so everything is going to be pretty much on his parents. if u choose to get ur car now then ur going to get ur car now, u wont have a life after u get the evo. trust me, when u think u figured out with the 333 payment is not what ur going to pay at the dealership, that 0% interest is only for those whose qualify. good luck.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3vo2005
Ok lets do the math.

According to mitsubishis website at 0 percent financing 20,000 for 60 months come down to $333.33 Where did you get $600?
Now insurance I already have so lets say about $200 more a month.
Gas is about $3.25 right now, so what a 13 gallon tank would be 42.25 and thats per week so thats about $150 a month for gas. Now date money isn't included we are talking strictly car. Now why would I be paying mitsubishi and my grandma? If i borrow money from my grandma I pay the car in full and only owe my grandma or not borrow from her and just pay mitsubishi. So for a summary:

$333.33 Car Payment
$200.00 Insurance
$150.00 Gas

Grand Total: $683.33
Did I miss anything? Now lets say my parents pay for insurance that comes down to $483.33 per month. So I get a job for 2 hours a a day for 5 days a week and 6 hours per day on the weekends. Thats a total of 22 hours a week, If 4 weeks in a month than we are at 88 hours a month. At around 8 dollars an hour I would be making $704 a month. I think that 704 will cover the evo and thats if my parents don't pay crap. I'm sure they will help me a little so I could easily pay for it.
so you have a whopping $21 a month to live off of? and did you forget about taxes (gonna knock at least $100 off per month)? plus if insurance is only $200/month you better have a lot saved up cause you're down to bare minimums on coverages. at 16 i'm guessing it's closer to $400/month. and your extra $21/month will need to be saved so you can maintain your car, oil changes, brakes, tires, etc...

plus the whole you don't have a job yet thing, plus you probably won't find one that'll let you work 2 hour shifts, and minimum wage is less than $8/hr and being 16, barring connections, you're probably gonna be at minimum wage or maybe slightly higher

your math proves that you can't afford an evo. enjoy life, have some fun. maybe you'll have your evo, but all it'll be able to do is sit in your driveway because you won't be able to afford doing anything. keep the eclipse, spend a few grand on it, it has (essentially) the same engine as the evo, it'll go fast for cheap. plus you won't be bought into years of payments that you don't know if you can afford or not yet.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

I think you mentioned that you assumed yourself making $8 per hour? I think it is difficult for you find a job that is paying you $8 per hour if you do not have much experience. I would assume you do not have much experience because at this moment, you are not working. If you got experience, you should be working while we have all these conversation for like 5 pages long.

In addition, $8 per hour is before tax also. Not sure where you come from, but in Cali, tax is a big hit on pay check for us.

Anyway, these are all of our opinions for a 16 year-old. I would say borrow a few grand's from you family to fix or even fix-up your current car rather than spending all those to a new Evo. Or better yet, get the new Civic Si and you will be worry-free. You will be happy about this choice.

Good luck to you.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

This thread is cracking me up. First you cant afford the car, that is reality. Yeah blah blah blah, my parents money my grandma money, etc. DUDE! You can't afford the car! Wake up! A minimum wage job aint going to cut it. 15000 is alot of money to pay off to your grandma. Let say to yourself how long would it take you to save 15000. Dude it will take a very long time. But then you know what if you are so hard up on getting the EVO then get it and then when reality smacks you in the face and now you realize you cant afford the car. So do yourself a favor and keep your car you have now and be greatful you have a nice car to drive around.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SR20DE-T
This thread is cracking me up. First you cant afford the car, that is reality. Yeah blah blah blah, my parents money my grandma money, etc. DUDE! You can't afford the car! Wake up! A minimum wage job aint going to cut it. 15000 is alot of money to pay off to your grandma. Let say to yourself how long would it take you to save 15000. Dude it will take a very long time. But then you know what if you are so hard up on getting the EVO then get it and then when reality smacks you in the face and now you realize you cant afford the car. So do yourself a favor and keep your car you have now and be greatful you have a nice car to drive around.
He's planning on his poor grandma dying before he has to pay back the full $15g.
You're sick, shame on you!!
Old Sep 13, 2005, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

this kid is gay as hell not appreciating his gs-t at 16.

it was probably free too.

i wonder why his parents would dish out so much more money if he doesn't even appreciate the car he has now. craziness
Old Sep 13, 2005, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Aa

Last edited by 3vo2005; May 23, 2023 at 07:44 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

needing a new clutch isn't a major problem for a car, it's what, like a $600 job for a new clutch and labor? plus at some point, possibly relatively soon and while you're still in school, your evo would need a new clutch too. then what? stick with your eclipse, any mechanical parts that need replacing just upgrade, do a new turbo, intercooler, bov, mbc and exhaust and you're set. you can probably do all of that yourself too so you won't need to spend money on labor and for a total of a few grand you'll have a car that is entirely too fast for a new driver to have and will be able to walk a stock evo
Old Sep 13, 2005, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

aa

Last edited by 3vo2005; May 23, 2023 at 07:44 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Can't believe this thread is still going! It should be called buying a Evo with someone else's money
Old Sep 13, 2005, 04:55 PM

buy a car you can afford and hit up grandma and pops for a loan when you want a house.
cars depreciate way to quick, dont throw your money away like that
if you really need an evo, look used

Quick Reply: To buy or not to buy.