Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Stock clutch engagement Point?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2005, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock clutch engagement Point?

I just picked up my evo with 14k. The clutch grabs fine and doesn't slip but engages somewhat high or seems so to me. I just want to know where the clutch engages on a new evo, so I can get an idea of how bad or good shape i'm in. thanks

Last edited by Hunt27162; Sep 14, 2005 at 11:09 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Mine grabs right at the top.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine honesly moves all over the place. I have 34k on the stock clutch (NO launches). For the most part it's up higher, but sometimes it'll grab down low and surprise me a little. I'd say your alright, as long as it hasn't been launched or abused, you should be good to go. It's probably that damn clutch restrictor that makes it tricky. If it doesn't slip and still grabs good, you're ok. Mine's grabbed up high pretty much since day one or at least since I've had any real mileage on the car.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

It should grab high.I even read a review somewhere when the Evo 1st came out and people said they hate how it grabbed so damn high...
Old Sep 14, 2005, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

My evo was my first manual, so I really didn't mind that it grabbed right at the top. Driving other cars might be a bit difficult after driving the evo for so long.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

AFAIK, there isn't a "standard" clutch engagement point on Evos, they seem to vary from car to car when new and nevermind a used one. You should adjust it so that the clutch begins to grab 3" off the floor (or higher). I've had ppl drive my car and complain that the clutch seems to engage high, but it has lasted 33K miles so far (the last 2K with a 3071 turbo).

l8r)
Old Sep 14, 2005, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
mine grabs high too, i got used to it....
Old Sep 14, 2005, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

yea mines at the very top to, i like it because it will be simular to a lot of aftermarket clutch type feelings. im so use to the evo now, most other cars i drive feel so damn soft as if there is no clutch pressure/fluid in the lines
Old Sep 14, 2005, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Evo is just not that easy to drive compared to my friends' STis and my other friend's 03 Evo. Sometimes, the engagement is nice and smooth and other times, it feels... not so nice. I don't know how to explain it. I don't launch the car at all, but I do drive the car hard sometimes. It is my daily driver.

My friend's 03 evo drives so nicely I could swear he had an aftermarket clutch and everything. But he tells me it's 100% stock (dealer verified) and he even bought it USED. I drove his car around for a bit and his clutch grabs so nicely, whereas, on my car, I would have to rev it a bit just to get a nice smooth engagement. On his, you just let off the clutch pedal and the car would go into gear without much hassle. Kinda made me jealous.

Fluid was changed to Royal Purple and I had a SS clutchline installed and that helped make the pedal feel better. Helped in the modulation of the pedal and made the feedback, 10x better. I don't think my clutch or trans is bad... but for sure.. it's not as good as some of the other cars I've driven.

Last edited by rsboy; Sep 14, 2005 at 12:35 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Little things like: adjusting the clutch engagement point, stiffer bushings, ss clutch line, and changing your tranny fluid have worked wonders for my Evo's tranny. It's getting a little notchy, but the clutch is still holding great. One other thing I've noticed on mine ... as the mods have gone on and power has gone up, the car has become harder to drive on the street ... much more finnicky these days than when it was stock. But it's an absolute blast on the track, hehe.

l8r)
Old Sep 14, 2005, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rsboy
My friend's 03 evo drives so nicely I could swear he had an aftermarket clutch and everything. But he tells me it's 100% stock (dealer verified) and he even bought it USED. I drove his car around for a bit and his clutch grabs so nicely, whereas, on my car, I would have to rev it a bit just to get a nice smooth engagement. On his, you just let off the clutch pedal and the car would go into gear without much hassle. Kinda made me jealous.
Thanks for the And you drove my car with no warmup period!
I wasn't quite happy with my clutch until after I'd gotten seat time in a few other Evos & Subarus... then I changed my opinion real quick!!
Seems that everyone who's driven my Evo loves & is jealous of the way my (28,xxx mile, OEM original, daily driven) clutch feels & engages - just got lucky, I guess!