Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

who does there own oil changes here?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2005, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just buy my own mobile 1 and take it to the dealership and for $20 they change it. Mitsu will charge you out the a$$ for Mobile 1 oil. Much cheaper to buy it yourself.
Old Sep 18, 2005, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cabo
Huh?

Cabo
crusher washer...not ring...I call it a ring..
Old Sep 18, 2005, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

I always do my oil changes first thing in the morning. Just making sure the oil is not hot and its all down in the oil pan. keep your receipts, especially the one from the oil filter you bought at the dealership. keep a excel sheet on the date, mileage, oil type (Mobil 1) and amount. Hopefully the mileage matches the required intervals. Mitsubishi should have a web site where you can log your maintainance. Subaru, Honda, Nissan, Toyota and many others have a web site where you and the dealerships log the work your car has gotton done. Here the one I had when I had a STi: http://www.my.subaru.com/login/login.jsp
Old Sep 18, 2005, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

funny this **** is going on so long.
u dont even have to lift your car or ramp it if it is not lowered. you can reach it as it sits.
good thing i have a ramp at work and i am the boss.
Old Sep 18, 2005, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mdosu
crusher washer...not ring...I call it a ring..

Yes, but your original post said something about a crush washer on on the oil filter . Are you talking about the filter or the drain plug?

Cabo
Old Sep 18, 2005, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cabo
Yes, but your original post said something about a crush washer on on the oil filter . Are you talking about the filter or the drain plug?

Cabo
damnit, lol on the drain plug right...act like I never changed oil before...man my mind must be on something else when I wrote that original post..lol
Old Sep 18, 2005, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mdosu
damnit, lol on the drain plug right...act like I never changed oil before...man my mind must be on something else when I wrote that original post..lol

Just making sure I wasn't missing anything with my changes

Cabo
Old Sep 19, 2005, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

the car needs oil?
Old Sep 19, 2005, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by r.m.s.
the car needs oil?
No if you find some sand you can use that instead. Or gravel if you don't have sand.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 08:22 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Noone mentioned... you can get a magnetic oil pan plug from ebay for few bucks and forget the crush washers all together. I put one on (although it was not needed) and the new plug has a big metal washer and you never have to worry about the stupid crush washers.

With the Evo I don't get to oil all the axles, the exhaust, the floor myself and all the wrenches like with my Civic Whoever put the filter in the back of that car was a dumbass.
Then again, it's hard to knock it out if you sit in a big pothole
Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Am I the only one here who just uses Fram ToughGuard (TG7317) filter? Don't see what makes the so special... The Fram is really easy to remove and replace.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by machron1
No if you find some sand you can use that instead. Or gravel if you don't have sand.
water is the best because of it's low viscosity. Plus if you don't change your oil right on schedule you can add some dish soap as an additive to clean the engine.

BTW expect bubbles to flow from your exhaust. its normal, its all part of the cleaning process.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joeymia
Am I the only one here who just uses Fram ToughGuard (TG7317) filter? Don't see what makes the so special... The Fram is really easy to remove and replace.
i use the Fram. That rubber grip on it is worth the extra $$.

any one use the power enterprise filter? its like 20 bucks but it has a magnet in it. i know magnetic drain plugs work but do magnetic oil filters even work or is it just a gimmick. but power enterprise is a pretty good company so it must work a little. maybe i'll try one and cut it open. i just changed my oil.

group buy for power enterprise oil filters so we can experiment
Old Sep 20, 2005, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

I'm suprised no one mentioned it, so I will. Buy a fumoto valve and oil changes are positively simple. Just put an oil pan under the car, turn the valve and the oil comes out. Take the filter off (which should be possible by hand if you didn't overtighten it) and replace. Then turn the valve back and fill up with fresh oil. The best part is that if you over fill, just put the pan back and let a little bit out.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i didn't read all the posts, so sorry if this is a repeat, but you want to make sure you do NOT wrench the filter on, it will damage the filter. Just twist tight with your hand and that's good enough.