Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Track story - MSR Texas (lapping Ferarri 360 Stradalle and Lambo Gallardo)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2005, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish I would have known about this day. I would have been out there if I could have.

MSR is a great track and there are always nice exotics out there. There are quite a bit of people here in DFW that buy the exotics and think that having a Ferrari turns you into Michael Schummacher and the car does all the work. I was out there about a month ago and it was my first time on a track. I was doing okay and I was still keeping up with the Ruf Porsches and 360 CS, etc that were out there. The EVO is a great track car and my suspension is still stock, and I'm not that good of a driver.

The original poster is a good driver, and was thus able to beat them. Good job man
Old Sep 24, 2005, 10:37 AM
__j

I'm putting money down that the track you "killed" the Ferrari and Lambo was small...
Old Sep 24, 2005, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

I totally believe this guy... here's a similar occurance...

http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/view...r=asc&start=45
Old Sep 24, 2005, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

It's funny when people underestimate the Evo, especially a modded MR. It's also funny when people look at numbers on paper and say "No way can X beat X!" but the reality is that the Evo was also built to compete also -- in ANY conditions. It's just a major plus that it does well on tarmac too. And especially in the hands of a great driver, it's as good as almost _any_ production car. Congrats on the consistently great racing!

+1 hurry up on the vids If you post them on StreetFire.net, they'd be very popular!
Old Sep 24, 2005, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

I'm tired of reading! I want to see videos!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 24, 2005, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jasil
Repeat after me it's 90% driver. Great job and I'm sure great driving too, but let's be a realist here. Where is the EVO at on Nurburgring?

Look at OLA where was the EVO during that event? I'm not talking final standings because they did have a few problems. I'm just talking lap times where the car was healthy.

Here is a link to the OLA website and click on history in the top left corner go to 2005 OneLapofAmerica. Look at the times for Danny Popp in a heads/cam Z06 with race suspension and then go look at AMS's EVO and it's times. That car has just about every mod you can put on a EVO and had a good driver too. The difference on most tracks was 10-30 seconds that is huge on a roadcourse.
http://www.onelapofamerica.com/
I do believe driv's car is pretty well modified. the evos at nurburgring are stock.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 04:27 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Too bad you have a non-standard format camera. My buddy is a video freak, has some kind of a studio at home and could transfer anything from MiniDV but it seems this format was abandoned by Sony some time ago..
Old Sep 24, 2005, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
video please
Old Sep 24, 2005, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

See the thing is, yes the evo may be fast on track but off the track as far as looks and every day normal crusing and comfort, its not a ferrari at all. yes the CS is a track car of the 360 but its still a 360 which isnt designed for track. We all known the enzo which isnt completely designed for that track, well for about 50-90k you can get an ariel atom which pretty much keeps up with enzo and would destroy your evo around the track but thats just because what its designed for. As far as daily driveing the atom would obvously be unfomertable and noisy and not particularly sexy. Oh and as for your comment about top gear with evo vs lambo, that wasnt a gallardo, that was a murcelago. haha but besides what iv just said, id still be very proud to go ground a track vs one of them and go home a winner. congrats
Old Sep 24, 2005, 09:01 PM
Former Sponsor

actually MSR is not a very small track. right now it is a little less then 2 miles around, but they are building the expansion which will make it one of the longest tracks in america at 3.4 miles all the way around, or two sections of smaller size.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The real point is how my EVO MR competes and wins against super exotics! I mean, $43,000 MR (counting upgrades) against the Ferarri who was on race tires.
Not to burst your bubble...but it's pretty clear that the Ferrari and Lambo guys were pussyfooting. The 360 CS should kill an Evo into braking zones and through the corners. Then it's got tons of power to keep that advantage along the straights. It's the total package.

Once you get up towards the instructor ranks, driver skill starts to level out and you can start to judge the relative performance of the cars. When I was an intermediate/advanced student, I used to "kill" big ticket machinery in my lowly 318is. Now that I'm an instructor, it's not quite so easy. The same way we spend thousands modding our Evos...they spend thousands modding their GT3's. I love the Evo, too, but let's not lose sight of reality.

Emre

Last edited by Kayaalp; Sep 24, 2005 at 10:37 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 11:24 PM

Motorsports Ranch is a glorified autocross. 23's are a very good time for what you have, though.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 01:18 AM
__j

I love the EVO too, I'm just saying that I have a hard time believing that he was smoking a CS on the track. Unless the CS has very little driving experience, he should still be able to run a time as good if not better than an EVO. The CS is Ferrari's bread and butter track car.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by __j
I love the EVO too, I'm just saying that I have a hard time believing that he was smoking a CS on the track. Unless the CS has very little driving experience, he should still be able to run a time as good if not better than an EVO. The CS is Ferrari's bread and butter track car.
I have no doubt the original poster smoked the CS. I know plenty of Ferrari owners that can't drive for sh*t, but think they're Schumacher. Even with r-compounds and ceramic brakes and everything, they're slow as hell.

My point wasn't that this guy is lying. All I'm saying is that, until you get to the instructor ranks, the driving skill is HIGHLY variable. Just because your Evo "smoked" a 360 CS...that doesn't mean that Evos are faster than Ferraris. If I step down into the advanced/solo group at a typical BMW or Porsche event, I can pass just about everyone with my 318is track car (or my Evo on street tires). So what? That doesn't prove anything.

Emre
Old Sep 26, 2005, 08:14 AM
SoR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kayaalp
If I step down into the advanced/solo group at a typical BMW or Porsche event, I can pass just about everyone with my 318is track car (or my Evo on street tires). So what? That doesn't prove anything.

Emre
But is fun as hell looking at their faces afterwards

Quick Reply: Track story - MSR Texas (lapping Ferarri 360 Stradalle and Lambo Gallardo)