Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Track story - MSR Texas (lapping Ferarri 360 Stradalle and Lambo Gallardo)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2005, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good stuff, get that video up
Old Sep 26, 2005, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kapolani
You have to remember..

It's all about how much speed you can carry THROUGH the turn. I'm sure his (allegedly) superior driving skills had something to do with it. Hit the apex just right - roll on throttle - and you're off!

I've been able to pull 'superior' cars on tracks not because my car was better, but because "I" was faster...

I would love to see the videos.

Great job!
isn't this only true wtih rwd cars? rwd cars will always have higher steady state speeds with a well balanced car.... evos will always just brake deeper and mash it sooner out which is where you try to take advantage.

Originally Posted by Jasil
Repeat after me it's 90% driver. Great job and I'm sure great driving too, but let's be a realist here. Where is the EVO at on Nurburgring?

Look at OLA where was the EVO during that event? I'm not talking final standings because they did have a few problems. I'm just talking lap times where the car was healthy.

Here is a link to the OLA website and click on history in the top left corner go to 2005 OneLapofAmerica. Look at the times for Danny Popp in a heads/cam Z06 with race suspension and then go look at AMS's EVO and it's times. That car has just about every mod you can put on a EVO and had a good driver too. The difference on most tracks was 10-30 seconds that is huge on a roadcourse.
http://www.onelapofamerica.com/
kent jordan does quite well against viper comp coupes... who's tuning ams's suspension? if it's not mueller i wouldn't expect them to shine for the evo pride...

Last edited by trinydex; Sep 26, 2005 at 09:47 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

I can imagine your grin! Isn't it great when drivers skill is the factor?
Old Sep 27, 2005, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Kayalap feedback (from original poster)

Kayalap,

Reading through all the threads, I am fascinated with all the race fans this forum has to offer. It's great to see my post get so much attention from those who drive our cars the right way! But your post got my interest the most because of some good points that are mostly right, but not congruent with my post.

First of all, I made it clear I wasn't running against novices. As an instructor for 15 years in the Porsche Club, BMW Club, and other groups, I agree any car with a good driver can lap exotics when skill levels are so far apart. My post clarified this was the advanced group. Essentially, I am an instructor with the TDE group and could run in the instructor group, but I didn't sign up to instruct this weekend. Nor did the Ferarri or Lambo driver who is an instructor.

To confirm my cars reality against the Ferarri and take out drivers skill, I asked the Ferarri driver if he minded me driving so close to him. Because he knows me and my driving skill, he didn't mind just as long as I would show him footage of his car afterwards. Ha! So, I posted this part too.........on the straights, I purposely compared his car and my car in a straight line where I was slightly pulling on him. Now, we all know it doesn't take a genius driver to push the gas all the way down on a straightaway.

As always the point..........upgrades or not...........driver or not...........our Evo's are flat out amazing. In the hands of real drivers with years experience..........I can say our Evo's are mind blowing. Driving moddeds Z06's, race Porsches, and GT3's and even PCA cup cars..........nothing South of $43,000 can touch my MR performance...........and nothing over $200,000 apparently with a good driver. Ha!

To answer your fairness. I am the better driver of the two exotics, but I can't discredit them, because I have seen them develop through the ranks to my level run group which is the highest. Having driven the more exotic cars in the past, I just get goose bumps driving a plastic interior/non exotic to the winners circle everytime. :-)

And most of all...................I WANT TO GET THE VIDS POSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WORKING ON IT TODAY AT MOTO PHOTO TRANSFER TO DVD.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Can't wait! After my girl watched me Auto X last weekend, she's really pumped to help me build my car to track better knowing that in it's stock form (such as mine) i can take 2nd place over modded C5's and STi's. Such an amazing car i sold my 350Z after having it for only 4 months
Old Sep 27, 2005, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

We need to see your video AA!!

to prove your point I posted video in the motorsport section.. you guys should check it out.

n
Old Sep 27, 2005, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

It's definitely all about the driver and what the driver is comfortable doing in his/her 200K sports car. I attend lots of different track events from NASA to PCA and BOC to FOC (Ferrari owner's club). Let me tell you, Ferrari owners are often the SLOWEST on the track, especially at official Ferrari events. It's such a waste of money. With that said, we have a few guys who run Ferrari Challenge cars and they're exceptionally fast and like to beat up on the GT3 and Z06 guys. None of the Evo's on track, even mildly modded ones with experienced drivers, can match any of the Challenge cars. Now there are plenty of regular 360's which get passed. In general, the Evo guys are going much much harder. It's a much easier car to drive at the limit! Bang for the buck, there's no contest. The Evo wins. But power to weight, the Ferrari wins. So unless he had a really bad drive off the corner (very possible), you'd be hard pressed to outrun a Stradale from a roll. 3100lbs@420hp vs. 3300lbs.@276hp. Now if we see a finger sticking out of his tiny window telling you to pass on the left....
Old Sep 27, 2005, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by __j
So you're telling me your car pulled a 400hp Ferrari?
Yeah, why not? In my first road racing event this past weekend, I blew past the following cars (could only pass on straights):

'03 Cobra (supercharged)
'04 Z06
Replica Shelby Cobra 427
Lotus Elise
'02 Cammed LS1 SS

I'm not saying if we lined up side by side at 80mph and floored that I would outrun all 5 of these cars, but I ate them alive through the entire course to the point that they had to give me the pass signal on the straights. Keeping in mind that I don't even have cams and was a beginner, I have no doubt that Driv was able to do it easily...
Old Sep 27, 2005, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
First of all....nice driving..... Second of all I hope you understand that most of the yahoos that are doubting you probably have never been to a road race. At a track driver IS 90% of the the race and there is absolutely no way you can compare reckless driving on the street to controlled racing on a track. If you have never been to a road race you wouldn't understand the difference.

Why take my word for it....well I road race nearly every weekend....and I actually race on the largest road course in America (www.roadamerica.com). Every time I visit RA there are exotics and very capable cars on the track. Everyone knows horsepower should dominate on a larger track....but most of the drivers are scared to push the limits of their vehicles. Those guys with 100k cars are worried about wrecking them or its just simply too much car for them to handle. It doesn't take much to loose control and wreck. In 2-3 hours of track time I spin out at least twice. Fortunately I havent hit anything.

Prior to the EVO my track car was a 96 ford probe GT. It was a high 13 second car but was set up for road racing. With the PGT I have dogged Vipers, Z06s, porsches, and yes even a Lambo. (www.jeffjeske.com/pictures.html)

Now I have the EVO with basic bolt on's and an aggressive alignment. The car is still slow at 12.7 but I have yet to get passed on Road America even by cars that have twice the horsepower. The EVO is such a great car it saves your *** simply by staying in the throttle. Go into a turn too hot....stay in the throttle.....car is starting to slide...stay in the throttle.....I'm not even that great of a driver but the EVO makes me appear to be much more skilled than I am. I think that is what this guy is saying as well. He's not the best in the world but with the EVO in his hands he was the fastest that day on that track.

Again for those of you that are strickly drag racers and street rebels.....you wont understand.....the "line" at a road course is an animal of its own.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Driv200
Kayalap,

Reading through all the threads, I am fascinated with all the race fans this forum has to offer. It's great to see my post get so much attention from those who drive our cars the right way! But your post got my interest the most because of some good points that are mostly right, but not congruent with my post.

First of all, I made it clear I wasn't running against novices. As an instructor for 15 years in the Porsche Club, BMW Club, and other groups, I agree any car with a good driver can lap exotics when skill levels are so far apart. My post clarified this was the advanced group. Essentially, I am an instructor with the TDE group and could run in the instructor group, but I didn't sign up to instruct this weekend. Nor did the Ferarri or Lambo driver who is an instructor.
I didn't appreciate that you were an instructor running against other instructors. When you mentioned you were in the Advanced group, I took that at face value. From my experience, the Advanced group has drivers of wildly variant skill levels. Some guys are really fast and consistent...but most are there because they are safe and have been doing this a while without getting into trouble.

On top of that, my experience has been that "most" (certainly not all!) Ferrari drivers are among the slowest on the track. Rain or dry, they seem to get passed like crazy. However, I don't doubt that the cars have LOTS of potential in the right hands.

Personally, I've never been up against a Ferrari driver with equivalent skill level to myself. Few instructors around here have the budget to maintain one as their "track b1tch." So, we tend to see them in the hands of well-heeled dabblers rather than hardcore track nuts. However, I did have the opportunity to drive a 355 Challenge race car and it was mind-blowing. Of course, I didn't have my Evo at the time, so it's hard to make a direct comparison.

Anyway, all of that taken together is why I was cautious about your formulating any conclusions about how well an Evo VIII MR would do against a 360 CS based on your anecdote. But, based on your last post, it sounds like it was truly a fair comparison. So, yay to Mitsu!

Emre
Old Sep 27, 2005, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
there was antoher video hosted yesterday by rapid share... not hte best place... but at least it's a place
Old Sep 27, 2005, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by drivethrufinch3
See the thing is, yes the evo may be fast on track but off the track as far as looks and every day normal crusing and comfort, its not a ferrari at all. yes the CS is a track car of the 360 but its still a 360 which isnt designed for track. We all known the enzo which isnt completely designed for that track, well for about 50-90k you can get an ariel atom which pretty much keeps up with enzo and would destroy your evo around the track but thats just because what its designed for. As far as daily driveing the atom would obvously be unfomertable and noisy and not particularly sexy. Oh and as for your comment about top gear with evo vs lambo, that wasnt a gallardo, that was a murcelago. haha but besides what iv just said, id still be very proud to go ground a track vs one of them and go home a winner. congrats
Cool thing is though, the Evo is based on a small family sedan platform, can carry four in relative comfort, has trunk space etc. And cost nowhere near as much as an Enzo. The Ariel atom is an awesome car, but it's hardly practical. That's one of the thing's that makes it so impressive. The Evo's such a multi-purpose tool.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
"you'd be hard pressed to outrun a Stradale from a roll. 3100lbs@420hp vs. 3300lbs.@276hp."

I forgot whos post this came from....I thought it made sense right up until the above quote. My MR is 3150lbs @ 430HP or 380AWDHP. Otherwise, it makes sense on paper what you said, but if I were in a stock Evo, I would still run from a roll just for kicks. Probably get the jump to 60 but then.....................

It's great seeing the road racers keeping up with this thread along with all the other EVO fans. I wish we could all get together at Road America or similar track and race together and share notes.

Man, I would love it! I raced Road America one weekend with the Porsche Club. Truely the best track I have ever raced. I raced a Porsche 930 Turbo race car at the time. Topped out my gearing of 155mph before turn 1. Wow!!!! Remember it like it was yesterday. That car was great. It shot flames out the back between shifts and during deceleration. Huge Flames. Everyone loved it for pics etc.....

Surprised how many Ferrari cars run so slow according to all the posts. The challenge cars look like a blast. I bet those are hard core and great track cars. I had never ran against one before, much less a Stradale 360 F1. Did I tell you this same guy just bought an Enzo? The 360 is his true track car. Must be nice.

OH, and someone said it best a few threads ago. As we are talking and comparing notes to Ferraris, Lambos, and everything else.........WE HAVE 4 DOORS and only 4 CYLINDERS! I love it!

Anyway, computer update. I looked at Sony computers yesterday and took my Sony Micro Video Camera in with me. Wanting to see how to burn a DVD from digital tape, I plugged in the camera for the service tech and suddenly I had a crowd of 10-15 people watching the in car video and it became a EVO MR field day with everyone chiming in about their cars and their experiences. Finally back to the computer DVD burning, it didn't work. Ha!!!!!! I swear, nobody can transfer this stuff........much less get it to internet. My offer still stands, if anyone has a Micro Sony, I will send all my tapes. Hopefully, I can get a new computer soon to learn how to do all this.

AA
Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

It does NOT surprise me that a moded EVO could smack on a lot of cars including Lambos, ferrary, vipers, vettes....

Im shocked to see how Evo owner dont understand this!!!

EVO RULES!!!!
Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

3 pages!!!!!!!!!!where s the frikin video!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Track story - MSR Texas (lapping Ferarri 360 Stradalle and Lambo Gallardo)