Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Track story - MSR Texas (lapping Ferarri 360 Stradalle and Lambo Gallardo)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2005, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Track story - MSR Texas (lapping Ferarri 360 Stradalle and Lambo Gallardo)

2005 Evo MR! What a weekend. First time at Motorsports Ranch with my MR. Went hoping to get into the 1:25's which would be a stretch considering Porsche Club racers in RS Americas with high mods run 1:27's. For those who enjoy reading my summaries on my race weekends, here it is!

How about a 2005 Ferarri 360 Stradallee race car. All carbon fiber interior and get this.........$32,000 brakes! 15" rotors front and rear. I counted 8 piston up front and 6 in the rear. Would you believe I have some SERIOUS in-car bumper cam of eating him alive on the track. Even lapping him. Yes, I am a better driver which aids the successful domination of him, but on the straights, I purposely wanted to video straight line acceleration on the straights.........And I am happy and estatic to say I pulled on the Ferarri ever so slightly!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you 4g63 stock turbo!

Alright, this group of advanced drivers consisted of modded viper GTS's, modded Z06's, modded Porsches mainly practicing for PCA races, some other fine BMW's with mods, Lotus's, and the usual multi STi crowd trying to go fast. The advanced group was put together based on racing skill and experience.......not car power. So it was with great adrenalin I conquered the field and was recognized as the fastest car on the track. While 1:25 is almost an impossible time to hit for a street car.........I stunned my pit crew and the track officials with a low 1:23, some 1:24's, and consistent 1:25's!!!!!!!!!! Come on,,,,,,,,,you know the entire field of "big money cars" were stunned when my 4 door was setting FTD...."Fastest Time of Day". Ha!!!!!!!

How about a 2005 Lamborghini Gallardo (V-10). Just like on top Gear....anyone remember????? I was all over it and blew past coming off a turn with a beautiful apex out of a corner coming onto the main straight.

Drifting fun! There are a series of switchbacks called "The Rattlesnake". Once my tires got a little hot and greasy, I told the crowd I would give them some video shots. After a few tries, I got the car to completely 4 wheel drift the entire U-shaped "switchbacks" going back and forth like a controlled slalom. I tell you all this because the EVO is so amazing!!!!!!! Seriously, I was grinning ear to ear and the crowd (50) was all cheering and giving me a standing ovation as I drove the car like a drifter around the track. One time, I slid the car completely off track into soft dirt. I got outside video of me on this one. The dirt quickly became a thick cloud of smoke.....so much you couldn't see the car at all..........and then I suddenly appear coming out the other side of the dirt back on the tarmac!!!! It was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! Remember, the tires are screaching and everyone is looking to suddenly see all the excitement and dirt flying etc........ Man this car is fun!!!!!

I had a couple of other excursions where two tires dropped off the edge. This is usually where a driver lifts out of panic and resets the car on the pavement. But, in the EVO, it's full throttle all the way as a rooster of dust cloud and gravel shoot out from behind the car!!!!!!! Slow careful corrections back on tarmac keep me on pace for the apex!!!!!!!!!!! Love AWD!!!!!!!!!

It was such a great event! I am so excited to have gotten into the 1:23's. So much of the EVO's fun is people coming over to see what it's all about after you make such a winning impression on the track!

Thanks to all the other EVO owners who came out to watch. Their tips with tire pressure differences front to back really helped with the rear rotation and reduction of understeer!

As always, if I could only post clips of my incar on this forum........we would all be glued to our screens. I am constantly searching out help with this. If anyone has a Sony Micro video camera and can play my MV tapes......I will send them to you for duplication and internet posting. These are smaller than the mini tapes. These are called Micro. At least my local friends can see the vids!!!!!! Action Andy.
Old Sep 18, 2005, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SWEET! someone get his vids up and running so we can check them out. : )
Old Sep 18, 2005, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Give me that Ferrari or Lambo and the story would be reversed. Sounds like you're a much better driver that those rich bastards behind those Italian machines.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Yes, you're right I am! But I thought about it while I was there...........If I were driving against myself in the other cars, I am not so sure they would be faster. That's why I talked about running down the straights and measuring my speed. Anyone can race around a track down the straight so it's a good measurement of the cars vs one another. I would drive deeper and brake deeper, but if I were driving all 3 cars at the same time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I got tell you................the $200,000 exotics would still be scared!

This is my point really. Although I clarified the "advanced drivers group", the Ferarri and Lambo drivers weren't to shabby. The real point is how my EVO MR competes and wins against super exotics! I mean, $43,000 MR (counting upgrades) against the Ferarri who was on race tires. I don't think the Lambo was on race tires.........but it's a Lambo V10!!!!!!

I wouldn't believe it either if some guy kept writing here on the forum about beting up on all the super cars and never showing video. What can I say?????

I just learned Moto Photo can put my tapes to DVD.........which I hope will let me post to internet. OR I WILL SEND OUT THE DVD VIDEOS ONCE COPIED!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:33 PM
Evolving Member

please post vids quick. I wanna lookie
Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

Vidz Pleazzzze
Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

+1.. show me the video
Old Sep 24, 2005, 12:00 AM
__j

So you're telling me your car pulled a 400hp Ferrari?
Old Sep 24, 2005, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

I believe it could have pulled a Ferrari on the track. Why not? The Evo is an incredible piece of equipment, a "tool" for the track if you may. If there is a good driver behind the wheel, one who knows the car as well as the track, the Evo shines
Old Sep 24, 2005, 01:02 AM
Evolving Member

You don't always get what you pay for. I would be pissed if my $200,000 machine was passed by a 4 cylinder Japanese import. Nice work.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you do get what you pay for. its not nececerraly a track prepped car....its an exotic. gets you waaaaaay more ***** than our evo ever would, LOL.

but, maybe they'll get some insight and scoop up a MR and leave those exotics at home.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by __j
So you're telling me your car pulled a 400hp Ferrari?
You have to remember..

It's all about how much speed you can carry THROUGH the turn. I'm sure his (allegedly) superior driving skills had something to do with it. Hit the apex just right - roll on throttle - and you're off!

I've been able to pull 'superior' cars on tracks not because my car was better, but because "I" was faster...

I would love to see the videos.

Great job!

Last edited by kapolani; Sep 24, 2005 at 10:23 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 09:54 AM
__j

The Challenge Stradale is Ferraris bread and butter production track car. Not dissin the EVO at all, I just have a hard time believing it was kicking a Ferrari's *** on the track that bad.

How big is this track? Straights, how many corners, etc?
Old Sep 24, 2005, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

that must be the greatest feeling passing such exotic cars like that, or looking as his $32k brakes and thinking, "with that money u should have just bought an evo!!!"
Old Sep 24, 2005, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Repeat after me it's 90% driver. Great job and I'm sure great driving too, but let's be a realist here. Where is the EVO at on Nurburgring?

Look at OLA where was the EVO during that event? I'm not talking final standings because they did have a few problems. I'm just talking lap times where the car was healthy.

Here is a link to the OLA website and click on history in the top left corner go to 2005 OneLapofAmerica. Look at the times for Danny Popp in a heads/cam Z06 with race suspension and then go look at AMS's EVO and it's times. That car has just about every mod you can put on a EVO and had a good driver too. The difference on most tracks was 10-30 seconds that is huge on a roadcourse.
http://www.onelapofamerica.com/

Quick Reply: Track story - MSR Texas (lapping Ferarri 360 Stradalle and Lambo Gallardo)