Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Fujitsubo vs. HKS Hi-Power (review)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2005, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fujitsubo vs. HKS Hi-Power (review)

I purchased an HKS Hi-Power a bit over a week ago on several recommendations that it was about the quietest exhaust out there short of the Fujitsubo. Turns out, it was too loud for me as the car is a daily driver, I have a "professional" job, and it doesn't pass the "wife test". Fast forward a week, I'd been talking to upstarts Kami-Speed, a shop in Orlando as they had two RM01A's in stock as well as a full titanium Fujitsubo. the Ti version was a bit rich for my blood but they gave me a KILLER deal on the RM01A. Their customer service was also top notch and they were a pleasure to deal with. So big thumbs up for this shop. They also had a number of neat, rare Evo parts in stock from Beat Rush, the aforementioned Ti exhaust from Fujitsubo and they even had a set of Bride Low-Max kevlar reclining seats. They're VERY hard to get and they actually had a set on the showroom floor! Cool place...

Anyway, back to the exhaust. I picked up the exhaust Saturday after a dyno session at Central Florida Turbo. Did the tuning session with the HKS on the car and I drove about four hours to get up there. I'm very familiar with the sound characteristics of the HKS!

The Fujitsubo, being one piece, not a separate muffler section, was a very tight fit into the Evo. It'll go in if you open the rear window! We packed it in and I headed off to a local muffler shop (they can't do installs yet as they're not completely set up). About a half-hour later, the HKS was off and the Fujitsubo was on. There were minor issues because the shop that put on the HKS never returned the stock muffler mount brackets to me (Racing Zone in Tampa) and the Fujitsubo is designed to be used with the stock mounts. The HKS comes with replacement mounts so those were on the car. We had to modify one hanger on the Fujitsubo but it worked and it was on the car.

I held my breath as the car was started. I was really worried it would be as loud or louder than the HKS. The main muffler body is quite a bit smaller than the HKS although it has two resonators to the HKS's 1.

The car turned over and to my delight, it sounded virtually stock! A bit lower growl but decibel wise, it was just where I wanted it to be. On the highway there's no droning and it's within a decibel or two of the stock exhaust. Throatier when you get on it but for the average person, they'd never know the difference in sound between the Fujitsubo and stock. Just what I'm looking for.

In short, the HKS is for those who still want a quiet muffler but want others to know it's not stock. The Hi-Power fits the bill perfectly. Fitment is good and it's rattle free.

The Fujitsubo has less visually, smaller canister, and it's very very quiet. Stealthy. It's fully stainless and fits perfectly if you have the stock exhaust hangers. While many think it isn't worth the price, I feel it's worth every last penny. I'd contact Kami Speed and see what kind of deal you'll get. Here are a few images:
Attached Thumbnails Fujitsubo vs. HKS Hi-Power (review)-fujitsubo1.jpg   Fujitsubo vs. HKS Hi-Power (review)-fujitsubo2.jpg   Fujitsubo vs. HKS Hi-Power (review)-fujitsubo3.jpg   Fujitsubo vs. HKS Hi-Power (review)-fujitsubo4.jpg  
Old Sep 18, 2005, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

HKS pics on my car can be seen here;
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=158340

Michel
Old Sep 18, 2005, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

What about WOT compared to stock, and the HKS?

I'm sooo getting the RM01A, I must hear more about it!
Old Sep 18, 2005, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Holy ****, nice username.

Old Sep 18, 2005, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

right on....glad its what you wanted. I too was looking for a quiet exhaust and ended up with a JIC 505 system. It is definately not quiet, but if I insert the resonator, it is exactly like the stock sound. Of course.....I never use the resonator. Its only off-throttle when the tone gets loud though
Old Sep 18, 2005, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have the hks, very quiet, i love it! haha but nice choice on the exhaust
Old Sep 18, 2005, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Fujitsubo...... i want to sell my Helix catback and get the Fujitsubo
Old Sep 18, 2005, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
It is really not that hard to know the quiet from the non-quiet exhausts. The quiet exhausts usually have a resonator in the mid-pipe and a substantial sized can. I bought my Invidia N1 exhaust w/o hearing it and I knew it would be quiet. It has both a resonator and a decent sized can. Listen to how quiet it is:

http://www.sr20deracing.com/EVO/invidia_sound.wmv
Old Sep 18, 2005, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nj1266
It is really not that hard to know the quiet from the non-quiet exhausts. The quiet exhausts usually have a resonator in the mid-pipe and a substantial sized can. I bought my Invidia N1 exhaust w/o hearing it and I knew it would be quiet. It has both a resonator and a decent sized can. Listen to how quiet it is:

I love videos that give you no ideawhat the exhaust sounds like under load.

3000RPM in your driveway and 3000RPM on the highway sound different, no?
Old Sep 18, 2005, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

nice ...really nice!!! love it !!
Old Sep 18, 2005, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

does it taper at one point or is it a complete 3inch exhaust?
Old Sep 18, 2005, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nj1266

do you have a test pipe and dp?
Old Sep 18, 2005, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

RM01A...me want one. wanted one for a while now...glad to hear its not loud. thanks for the bumper pics everyone has been wanting to know how far the tip makes it thru the bumper.
Old Sep 18, 2005, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Good review.

I was thinking if getting a fujitsubo power getter, but I really like the HKS. Does anybody have info on the power getter?
Old Sep 18, 2005, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

The thing with the Fujitsubo is that the actual muffler is MUCH smaller than the HKS and it sits higher up in the car at less of an angle. Going by looks, you'd guess the HKS would be much quieter but it's just not the case. It's a remarkable difference between the two. What I like about the Fujitsubo is that you won't have to put a silencer in the tailpipe (and thus kill power) to keep the exhaust quiet. Not so with the HKS.

Under WOT, it's a bit louder than stock but it's a very nice growl and not intrusive in the least. Very "mature" I'd say and fitting for a $30K+ car. No droning at all. Not a hint. I could stick my grandmother in the back seat and she'd complain more about tire noise than exhaust noise. It's that good...power doesn't seem to be any less. If you've ever read up on exhaust design, it's not hard to get it right and it mostly boils down to resonator placement in relation to the main exhaust body, it's length, etc...Fujitsubo got it right for those looking for a quiet exhaust. Some like a louder exhaust and want to be noticed. The RM01A is not for them. It seems the two resonators and their placement really do the job.

I have a 2.5" downpipe and the stock catalytic converter in place. I'm confident that a resonated test pipe (high quality piece) would not make the exhaust substantially louder. I was actually surprised to see the tailpipe on the Fujitsubo is drilled for a silencer. It's not needed unless you go full turbo back.

As for the 3" question all the way back? Honestly, I don't know! I forgot to look. I will say it mates right up to the stock cat so I would think it necks down a bit right before the cat, same as the HKS. I can't imagine there's any difference between a 2.5" and 3" test pipe on anything under 350 wheel hp. If you're shooting well north of that, sound is probably your last concideration

The only issue someone might have with the exhaust is that it doesn't stick out far enough for the stock rear bumper on U.S. Evo's. It'd be perfect with the JDM Evo9 rear end! For those not switching bumpers, it'll be an excuse to slap a piece of carbon fiber there (twist my arm). With a cat though, I can't see the bumper discoloring.

I'm headed out to N. Orleans tomorrow morning but when I come back on Friday, I'll try to get some sound clips while moving under power. I'm also planning on modifying one of the brackets so the exhaust doesn't move around so much. This is all due to me not having the stock hanger up there...one on the rear subframe. Anyone have a stocker lying around???

Quick Reply: Fujitsubo vs. HKS Hi-Power (review)