Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Well... we dyno'd it :)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2003, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah... what he said

Cheers,
shiv
Old Mar 11, 2003, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Well I see this is starting to cause ruckus which is kind of bad, but it will only detour the ignorant from this piece of work. I don't know vishnu personally, but from what i read. he seems to be intelligent in what he does. I would like to remind everyone such as someone else did above but i am to lazy to quote them and/or look for thier name. But this is an Evo 8, the only things this car is missing is acd/ayc, 6 speed transmission really. Everything else is there. The suspension, the brakes, the ENGINE. Its not like we got a 4g62.. we got a 4g63... obviously the restrictions of horsespower are on the regulations that mitsubishi had to pass to bring the car here. This vehicle is a hop, jump skip away from the jdm version. I have not rode in a wrx nor a sti, my friend has test driven the **** out of a wrx, and i gave him a ride in my evo and he told me thier is a major difference. of course fixed up WRX's will stand a chance to a stock evo, but everyone is losing thier mind over this. The car has the potential thier even if mitsubishi had to hide it past customs for us to re release. hopefully thou people will be unitelligent and read the first few posts and g et scared and buy another car leaving less evo's on the road. I enjoy seeing no other cars like mine. Blah.... Vishnu keep us updated on the gains, hopefully this 30whp is simple and undoable for warrenty inspectionn.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 05:02 PM
Nzo
Evolving Member

I love the 'well, the low whp #s are ok, cuz we can just mod it for more power!' This is retarded, of course you can mod it. You can mod any car for more power, but this doesnt change the low baseline whp #s.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

I am sure the restriction will be in the ecu.....what I can't understand is that vishnu, or someone, posted that it only had a 1 bar map..(14.7 psi) yet a few lines on he said that it achieved boost pressures of between 15-17 psi how is this possible with a 1 bar map?......I would have expected a 3 bar map on this vehicle anyone who knows please explain.....I am also reading that people out there think that a big exhaust pipe is the way to go...Claudius recommended 80mm ID for big power...but the guy at norris designs (771hp evo7) recommends no more than 3' OD pipe as the evo likes a bit of back pressure so as not to sacrifice torque?....I'm confused
Old Mar 11, 2003, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Obsoleteasian
Well I see this is starting to cause ruckus which is kind of bad, but it will only detour the ignorant from this piece of work. I don't know vishnu personally, but from what i read. he seems to be intelligent in what he does. I would like to remind everyone such as someone else did above but i am to lazy to quote them and/or look for thier name. But this is an Evo 8, the only things this car is missing is acd/ayc, 6 speed transmission really. Everything else is there. The suspension, the brakes, the ENGINE. Its not like we got a 4g62.. we got a 4g63... obviously the restrictions of horsespower are on the regulations that mitsubishi had to pass to bring the car here. This vehicle is a hop, jump skip away from the jdm version.
Amen. Very well put.

Oh no... you mean I have to modify my car to get the power I want? The horror....

<- who plans on getting his Evo up to at least ~350 HP, before it goes on the bottle...

Old Mar 11, 2003, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

350 will be fine for me I aint greedy
Old Mar 11, 2003, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

I have to vouch for Shiv and Vishnu on the racing thing. Have you ever heard of Gary Sheehan?

He was only a gnat's *** away from walking away with the USTCC crown. He rolled in a WRX up against M3's and track RSX's and such.

Shiv tuned his WRX.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 05:22 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Nzo
I love the 'well, the low whp #s are ok, cuz we can just mod it for more power!' This is retarded, of course you can mod it. You can mod any car for more power, but this doesnt change the low baseline whp #s.
You are missing the point. The point is that we could achieve the horsepower the car was design for just by tweaking the computer.

Yes, you could modify other cars but the difference is that since our car was purposely detuned we could easiy get our horsepower back and our trans will not fall apart or anthing if ya know what i mean

Horsepower is cheap. Making the car to handle cost $$$. That's why i'm not impressed with 300hp STi. Big deal IF it could outhandles that's another story.

Shiv, are you going to give us some info or your just going to free advertise on this board. This should be in the vendor thread
Old Mar 11, 2003, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by gtr

Shiv, are you going to give us some info or your just going to free advertise on this board. This should be in the vendor thread
huh?
Old Mar 11, 2003, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

You are missing the point. The point is that we could achieve the horsepower the car was design for just by tweaking the computer.

Yes, you could modify other cars but the difference is that since our car was purposely detuned we could easiy get our horsepower back and our trans will not fall apart or anthing if ya know what i mean
thanks gtr, you hit the exact point i was going for.. ^_^.. i am just half asleep from driving around all night. ... Evo8 was purposly detunned, which means we already have everything in it, we just need to cough*tweak*sneeze on the engine calibrations to get back up there. ....anyways i am quite satisfied with my purchase, since no other car can hold againsts me unless they have spentn 20k more than i did. ....
Old Mar 11, 2003, 05:41 PM
-LD

Originally posted by shiv@vishnu

huh?
i think he means you haven't given us any concrete info...all you've given us are the first AWD results for 4 Evos and comparison charts for a WRX...oh wait, you have given us info

people are just disappointed to see the comparison to the WRX and that the Evo has meager HP gains...at least some others realize that's not the only thing that makes the Evo a great car...the suspension and handling is excellent
Old Mar 11, 2003, 05:47 PM
Nzo
Evolving Member

Originally posted by gtr
[B]

You can do the same thing with the WRX. And what is 'the horsepower the car was designed for' supposed to mean?

Yes, you could modify other cars but the difference is that since our car was purposely detuned we could easiy get our horsepower back
Nope, not a difference.

and our trans will not fall apart or anthing if ya know what i mean
And no, I dont.

Horsepower is cheap. Making the car to handle cost $$$. That's why i'm not impressed with 300hp STi. Big deal IF it could outhandles that's another story.
IF? What makes you think it won't? The fact that you bought an Evo without knowing how the STi handles is a testament to either your large expendable income, or your ignorant and misplaced confidence in the handling superiority of the Evo.

Last edited by Nzo; Mar 11, 2003 at 05:55 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by gtr

our car was purposely detuned we could easiy get our horsepower back
Just like the stock WRX. It was detuned and Shiv has done the same thing for it by remapping and keeping the stock safety limits intact.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Welcome to the United States of Mediocrity.
may have screwed us out of power and you say "I can pay Vishnu for more power"
Some of you are the same people who would not pay one penny over msrp?
You have been conditoned to accept less than you paid for.
Your logic is convoluted.
" I won't pay a penny over sticker but if they want to screw me out of horsepower, that is ok I can buy more"??????????????????
Why don't you tell your insurance company to lower your rates because the car doesn't really have that much power.

Last edited by skibum; Mar 11, 2003 at 06:09 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Nzo

IF? What makes you think it won't? The fact that you bought an Evo without knowing how the STi handles is a testament to either your large expendable income, or your ignorant and misplaced confidence in the handling superiority of the Evo. [/B]
I am buying the EVO for the fact that it is a world class handling car and I cannot afford the additional 3-4k that the STI will cost. Also, I can easily add 30hp without spending 3-4k, thus matching the sti's 300hp

Quick Reply: Well... we dyno'd it :)