Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Well... we dyno'd it :)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
with all this talk about breaking the engine in to get more HP, do you guys really think it's going to gain 25 - 40 more HP that it's supposed to have just by breaking it in? I've never heard of that before... wishful thinking........just wondering
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:10 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by -LD
i think he means you haven't given us any concrete info...all you've given us are the first AWD results for 4 Evos and comparison charts for a WRX...oh wait, you have given us info
I'm talking about graphs and what did he use to tune it for 30 more wheel hp.

Nzo, you dont' get my point. Oh well There is no need to call me ignorant just because i want to drive the evo first. I will drive the Sti this summer when my best friend buys one. What is a better way to see which is better by driving on the course?

You seem so negative towards evo, If you dont' mind me asking why are you here if you feel the STi is better without even driving one before?
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe the dealers will tune them after they are broken-in
Maybe they are de-tuned for US customs and break-in.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:23 PM
Nzo
Evolving Member

You seem so negative towards evo, If you dont' mind me asking why are you here if you feel the STi is better without even driving one before?
On the contrary, I'm not negative toward the Evo. Though my comments may be a little harsh, my point is that im negative toward people who assume, and often even state as fact, that the Evo has better handling then the yet-to be released STi.

Also I didnt call you ignorant. I said either youre ignorant or you have a lot of money to play with. You affirmed the fact that you have a lot of money which is what I assumed in the first place.

Also Daveyd:
I am buying the EVO for the fact that it is a world class handling car and I cannot afford the additional 3-4k that the STI will cost. Also, I can easily add 30hp without spending 3-4k, thus matching the sti's 300hp
This would be true if people didnt pay $55,000 for their Evo. Sucks for them.

Last edited by Nzo; Mar 11, 2003 at 06:29 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Well, the evo has always dominated the STi in handling...so it's not a bad assumption. But we'll see....the STi is a new animal and it's not even adhering to the rally standards with its new 2.5l engine. Sounds like they mean business...
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

I really think that the dealers on thsi board, or the people from dealers on this board or w.e. shuld really get into this post... cuz im shure they can explain alot...or even tell us the truth... but jus my .02 cents...

Altho i am quite dissapointed in these numbers..as many people have said, this is still the same engine just wit a differnt ECU, a new ECU or unlocking this one or w.e....will make a big differnce....

Since has had problems in the past with reliablity, i doubt they want more problems... The lancer evolution (unlike eclipse and 3000GT VR-4) is a world class champion, it is recognized to be one of the most powerful, best handeling, awsome reliable car, if other countries had found out about this, it would only destroy image, so i doubt they could have miss quoted by 40 hp...
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

It's likely that Mitsu used the best conditions on earth and over 100 octane fuel when getting their numbers.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Coolguy949
It's likely that Mitsu used the best conditions on earth and over 100 octane fuel when getting their numbers.
Do you have your Evolution yet?
Have you timed it yet?
Someone needs to time the car.
I am dying to know.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

I'm dying to know too......the closest i've been to driving one is turning corners at 60MPH and hitting 110 on the freeway with the cocky sales manager LOL.

I'm researching as much as I can before I spend money on the evo8.

DOESNT SOMEONE HAVE A G-TECH PRO OR SOMETHING?? ANYTHING????
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Nzo

Also Daveyd:

This would be true if people didnt pay $55,000 for their Evo. Sucks for them.
I agree 1000% If anyone would pay something like that, they should be shot
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

In the name of humanity couldn't somebody with an Evo and a G-tech get a frickin 0-60 time?!
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

If I can get my car broken in before this weekend I might be able to hit the track over the weekend for some 1/4 mi. Depends on how busy I am. I'm kind of surprised no one has gone to the track yet. But I guess it's still really early.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 07:02 PM
In Timeout

Be afraid.... be vewy vewy afraid!!!

220.4 hp 247.2 torque

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/blackcat/dyno.htm

Last edited by srt4; Mar 11, 2003 at 07:05 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Actually, Shiv's results are spot on, as far as I can see.

Let me explain before people go up in flames. MMC quoted 271hp for the Evo, vs. the 276hp for the JDM Evo. Yet we all know it's not 276hp, it's in the 300's. About 310hp, according to some recent dyno's I've seen. So MMC is claiming that the USDM Evo 8 has about 39hp less hp than the JDM Evo. And coincedently, the Evo 7 that Shiv dyno'd has (drum roll) about 32-40 more awhp than the USDM Evo 8.

So what gives? Well, namely poor gas - California's gas is going to make any car read lower than nearly anywhere else in the States. And MMC didn't say what state's gas they used to test the car, did they?

The thing is, that doesn't really change things that much - other cars have to run on that gas also. So while the numbers may not be too high, the playground is still level.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen
Old Mar 11, 2003, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

Afraid of the handling on the SRT-4 as it crashes into me on the way down the 1/4.

Just kidding, I just cant stand the way it looks, it is still a neon!!!
but good bang for the buck. Just like a taco still feels the same in the inside, no matter how ugly she is on the outside. (okay that wasnt called for)

Props to the work you all are doing on the evo investigation. Cant wait till we have it all figured out

Quick Reply: Well... we dyno'd it :)