Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Well... we dyno'd it :)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2003, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow... +30hp just from tweaking and not increasing boost? Awesome man... And a +50hp gain after 6000 rpm would be even better, too... but, like you said, it should be reproducible and/or reliable.

Looking good so far!!
Old Mar 9, 2003, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by shiv@vishnu

My thoughts exactly Also, for some reason, it's harder to forget bad information than it is to remember good information.

Cheers,
shiv
www.vishnutuning.com

PS. The 30 wheel hp gains was the difference in peak hp. The difference, however, at just under 6000rpm was nearly 50 wheel hp Still need more data points before we can claim that such gains are reproducible.
Is this with no boost increases at all at any of the RPM's?
I mean evo peaks at 19 at lower RPMs and tapers off to 16 at WOT...

So does this mean your increasing peak HP by 30 without increasing that 16 PSI at WOT to 19??

That would be unreal..
Old Mar 10, 2003, 12:21 AM
Evolving Member

I agree, it's better to get the full information from a set of reports than to post on one car and find it's bad information. Information is a virus - good or bad, once it's out, it spreads far, especially on the internet. If this one car for production reasons dyno's about 20hp low and shiv says that, because of the intense interest in the Evo at this moment, you will see that posted on every forum for every make of car within a matter of days - if not a matter of hours.

And then you will have to deal with literally thousands of people telling you "yeah, I heard MMC lied about the hp on the Evo" for the next 5 years.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen
Old Mar 10, 2003, 12:48 AM
Evolving Member

Hi Shiv,

How about going over to Modacar and getting some of their race gas

say 3-4 gallons

then dyno again
Old Mar 10, 2003, 01:37 AM
Evolving Member

Personally I don't think one dyno will alter peoples perception of the car. In fact coming from other sports cars and hearing all of the crazy HP others were putting down it becomes a bigger dissappointment to get lower numbers. SO what I am saying is if you laid down low #'s I think most would like to hear them now simply because when others dyno, if they put down MORE power they will be totally stoked. Coming from the Supra club I heard just about every stock # to BPU # imaginable. I fell into the lower end of the category stock and even with more mods than others. I think that kind of disappointment would be less if we knew. Plus when you do a retest if you get super #'s everyone will be happier as well.

Old Mar 10, 2003, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

SHIV: Thanks for the teaser. I could care less about the actual base numbers as they will differ from dyno to dyno and due to dyno calibration, humidity, elevation, gas, operator, etc. You can standardise all that to STP, but this is not what most of us are looking for. The difference of before and after is what really counts as it applies the same way if you are making 250hp or 270hp.

You already gave us a preview of the real useful information that we are after. The 30hp increase. Could you please elaborate on that. Specifically, what did you do to gain the 30hp. Is this peak or all along the curve? Also, could you just simply photoshop erase the "actual" numbers from the dyno jpg and post the base dyno graph against your moded run. I'd like to see the difference in the curves between base and moded run. We don't really need the actual "numbers" on the graph. Also, if you don't want to give numbers out, maybe you can give us the gains in %. So, this mod gives you 5% gains for hp and torque for example. Thanks.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

^^ yes that would help
Old Mar 10, 2003, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Did you test and verify the octane of the fuel?

How long ago?

I don't mean to sound condescending
Just curious.

Last edited by skibum; Mar 10, 2003 at 08:45 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

<---- grabs a box of popcorn and a soda waiting patiently!

Seriously, be patient guys. No need to rush things out and it may come back to hunt you. Shiv is taking this project seriously as he did with the WRXs.

To vishnu
Old Mar 10, 2003, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

I think he was smart not to post the numbers. Maybe a second dyno from another (completely stock) car would be good, then we can form opinions.

If the car puts down 200hp instead of 225+ like we want, I am sure people will go nuts (including myself).

I actually don't care what it puts down on the dyno, but I do care how fast it will run the ¼..... You don't win anything by explaining how much hp you put out on the dyno.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

[i]

I actually don't care what it puts down on the dyno, but I do care how fast it will run the ¼..... You don't win anything by explaining how much hp you put out on the dyno. [/B]
Good point. It would be more fun to win and tell the loser you only have 120hp.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Another issue is the type of dyno, as Dynojets notoriously show higher numbers than Mustang or other load applying dyno. Case in point... my Lightning shows 408 rwhp on a Dynojet, but only 369 rwhp on a Mustang dyno. Though torque figures normally are similiar (505 ft/lbs in my case).

So dyno another stock Evo, then let us know ALL the details, including the dyno type.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by BADWRX
I am fairly certain that the ECUTEK can be used on the EVO as well as the WRX. Like %95 positive.

$6,700 for the software, and 11 lisences. Not such a bad deal if you can tune WRX's and Evolutions. I may buy it...
I am 99% certain that ECUTEK will not work on a Mistubishi ECU. There is nothing on their website to indicate that it does.
http://www.ecutek.com

I am willing to bet that Shiv is playing with the Xede chip or unichip piggyback systems for now until a decent solution can be found.

[edit] not that the xede chip is bad.... the ecutec is awesome[/edit]

This is for certain, when Vishnutuning releases a product for the EVO VIII, it will offer the most performance gains while maintaining the reliability needed for the street.

Last edited by chrisw; Mar 10, 2003 at 09:53 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Never mind special fuels. We what we need to know if the 271 hp listed by is correct.
Of course putting special fuel in will increase hp, but kinda defeats the purpose of the test.......
People had been running amock claiming that this car "actually" puts out 300+ hp stock.
What does it actually do?
Cheers for the info.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by cannyboy
Never mind special fuels. We what we need to know if the 271 hp listed by is correct.
Of course putting special fuel in will increase hp, but kinda defeats the purpose of the test.......
People had been running amock claiming that this car "actually" puts out 300+ hp stock.
What does it actually do?
Cheers for the info.
It might be useful to see what the car does with 93 or 94 octane, though... for us east-coasters.

Quick Reply: Well... we dyno'd it :)