Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Well... we dyno'd it :)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe the HP is a little down because the engine is not 100% broken in ?

Let the parts get friendly and see what happens
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone else live close to Vishnu? I'm gonna head over there around 11am if anyone want to mee up over there...I wanna check out the EVO they have and maybe sneek a peek at what they're dooin to it.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Hi guys,

Like I said, the numbers are a little low. Before revealing what the numbers are, I want to talk to Mitsubishi as well as dyno other cars. I don't want this to be blown out of proportion before isolating what the real issue is. Remember Ford and the mustang? Or Mazda and the Miata? Etc,. The last thing Mitsu needs now is press like that Could just be a simple problem. Hopefully one that only our car is experiencing. Hang tight for now...

Cheers,
shiv
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by chrisw

I am 99% certain that ECUTEK will not work on a Mistubishi ECU. There is nothing on their website to indicate that it does.
http://www.ecutek.com

I am willing to bet that Shiv is playing with the Xede chip or unichip piggyback systems for now until a decent solution can be found.
Uh uhm, actually, my friend(Not Vishnu) has the ECUTEK, and he told me that they CAN tune Evolution ECU's with it. This is one of the key reasons that his business procured it.

My car is running ECUTEK, and it is pretty nice. The main drawback is that I cannot tune it at all to adjust for anything (example: Ambient air temp, bad fuel, altitude.).

He may have been blowing smoke up my ****, but I am fairly certain that it will tune the Mitsu Evolution ECU.

Andy
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by shiv@vishnu
Hi guys,

Like I said, the numbers are a little low. Before revealing what the numbers are, I want to talk to Mitsubishi as well as dyno other cars. I don't want this to be blown out of proportion before isolating what the real issue is. Remember Ford and the mustang? Or Mazda and the Miata? Etc,. The last thing Mitsu needs now is press like that Could just be a simple problem. Hopefully one that only our car is experiencing. Hang tight for now...

Cheers,
shiv
Isnt there someone else in your area with an evo you can test?
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by BADWRX

Uh uhm, actually, my friend(Not Vishnu) has the ECUTEK, and he told me that they CAN tune Evolution ECU's with it. This is one of the key reasons that his business procured it.

My car is running ECUTEK, and it is pretty nice. The main drawback is that I cannot tune it at all to adjust for anything (example: Ambient air temp, bad fuel, altitude.).

He may have been blowing smoke up my ****, but I am fairly certain that it will tune the Mitsu Evolution ECU.

Andy
At this point, the Ecutek software will only work on Subarus. It will not work on the US EVO. Ecutek and I, however, are working on it. Hopefully, it won't take to long to get through the testing process.

Cheers,
shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Mar 10, 2003 at 11:29 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by BADWRX

Andy
Andy, not trying to **** you off or anything, but read the website... I think your friend is confused or has a WRX. anyhow if he has a business around this, how about a website link? I know of a couple of people in the bay area that also have the ability to tune the EVO, but it's not by reprogramming the stock ECU.

I have the ECUTEC as well....

It would be nice to think that it could be done, but each manufature has their own implementation of the ODBII standard.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Must be under 244rwhp........ because didnt somone put a evo7 on the dyno and get 244rwhp???

Anyways this car is fast enough for me right the way it is. Im just waiting to get pulled over in this thing with a $300 ticket I really have to watch what im doing in this car. The best part is getting on the higway at 70 and touch the gas about an inch.........................Im doing 105 in a matter of seconds!
This car is scary the way it is. So anyone freeting this dyno numbers, dont worry about it. For owners of evo8's you already know what I mean.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:37 AM

I'm going down to Vishnu's today to see if they want to throw my 03 EVO on the dyno for some comparison numbers...

Also, I wouldn't mind them tweaking my car for an extra 30 hp

Shawn
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

they can tweak mine 3 or 4 times
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by silvrevo
Must be under 244rwhp........ because didnt somone put a evo7 on the dyno and get 244rwhp???

Anyways this car is fast enough for me right the way it is. Im just waiting to get pulled over in this thing with a $300 ticket I really have to watch what im doing in this car. The best part is getting on the higway at 70 and touch the gas about an inch.........................Im doing 105 in a matter of seconds!
This car is scary the way it is. So anyone freeting this dyno numbers, dont worry about it. For owners of evo8's you already know what I mean.
I know exactly what you mean, This car is very quick. After being in my friends WRX then getting in the evo there is NO FREAKIN WAY these cars can be in the same catagory. When the sti comes out, I don't think it will matter which car has the edge, it will come down to the driver and his ability to drive.

ALL who oppose me!!!!!!!
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Heh

Originally posted by Willie
Hey Al , I'll be joining you real soon with the Evo ,

Willie SQC#000
Willie@sqc-ny.com
www.SQC-NY.com
Well - I will look forward to that - Please don't forget to get me a number in the all new hopefully MSQ - Mitsubishi Queens Crew - - - byw - big props for the ink in the new Super Street mag !

Peace
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:55 AM
In Timeout

Originally posted by Sano
After being in my friends WRX then getting in the evo there is NO FREAKIN WAY these cars can be in the same catagory.
2.0L, AWD.. a world of difference huh..
--bobby
Old Mar 10, 2003, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

I would bet you that it is actually under 200WHP on Shiv's dyno. It is a DYNO DYNAMICS dyno, from Australia. Simply the best AWD dyno that money can buy. There are only 2 that I know of in the States. The only drawback is that you get low numbers with this setup. It doesn't really matter though, as long as you have a baseline on the same dyno that you tune on.

The main thing that makes the DD dyno the best is the 50/50 torque load split...it has no adverse effect on the center diff, unlike the DynoJet, or the Dynapack.

I heard that these AWD Dyno's are around $75,000!

In case you guys don't know, Shiv is one of the best, and certainly the SAFEST Subaru tuner around. I have never heard of him blowing a motor, unlike some other tuners out there. You are pretty lucky to have him in the MMC community.

Andy
Old Mar 10, 2003, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Sano

I know exactly what you mean, This car is very quick. After being in my friends WRX then getting in the evo there is NO FREAKIN WAY these cars can be in the same catagory. When the sti comes out, I don't think it will matter which car has the edge, it will come down to the driver and his ability to drive.

ALL who oppose me!!!!!!!
Just remember, it only takes a WRX $1500 bucks to have equal power...and the other 7 grand can be spent to really make the wrx a better ride.

Things I like about the EVO:

Brakes
Engine
Seats
Tires, ADVAN JDM BABY!
Fat rubber and big wheels!
Made in Japan

Things that I dislike:

Open front diff
5 speed (When the 6 is now OEM in J-Land)
No AYC
No ACD
Possibly inflated numbers (HP/TQ) by Mitsu.

It is obvious that stock for stock, the EVO outclasses the WRX, hands down, but it is also blatently apparent that the STI is going to outclass the EVO by a long shot.

Apples:Oranges if you know what I am saying

Last edited by BADWRX; Mar 10, 2003 at 01:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Well... we dyno'd it :)