Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Should I get the evo ix?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2005, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say get it if you can afford it. No reason to not learn on an evo. Just take it easy and slowly learn how to drive better and better. Only reason I wouldn't get one would be if I know a lot of people would trash my car at school. I know where I live that people wouldn't do that but it depends on location. Also If you get it just learn stick on another car before this, see if a relative friend will teach you.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dummyyy
Also.. can you tell me if you have a lot of engine problems with an evo.. because I heard mitsubishi gets lots of problems with the engines.

Thanks...
Old Sep 19, 2005, 08:24 PM

Alright.. thanks for all the reasons and comments. I guess i'll become a better driver before ill drive an evolution. I wouldnt want to disrespect it by crashing into something at my fault.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 08:29 PM

Thinking back to highschool, I wouldn't dream of parking an Evo in a highschool lot. Even mediocre cars were vandalized pretty badly, and the Evo is already a vandal magnet.

If I were you, I'd pick up a str-4 maybe?

Last edited by EvoIAm; Sep 19, 2005 at 08:31 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

Well, just my 2cp......

Evo is good if you can afford it, but in your age.Mmmm even through you can control yourself not hit the gas too tough too hard....but your friends will make you do that and guess what if you are lucky enough not smash your evo til it totaled ............... you might ended up with DUI in evo anyway =) coz you are only 16 and sure you are going to drink alot like I used to.. =)

and age 16 with Evo will probably smash alot just like most of those who never drive a turbocharge car and bought a FD3S with twinturbo . will also ended up smash at the corner <----- 11 out 10 of them are smash brothers.

ok so my suggestion is . start from FF then FR then Turbo FR,

break

at this point you are probably age 19 or 20 .. now you can try either Turbo AWD or if you like to drift alot, stick with turbo FR (S13 or S14) or twinturbo FR (not many here in US). You can also try Turbo MR (mr2 turbo) or if you are rich enough .. try turbo RR (911 turbo) etc etc ..

my point is ... start small and skill up is the most important thing to do...

then Evo X is there waiting for you !!!

Evoegg - I want GT-R but I got an Evo8
Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

yes get the ix and post pics when you do
Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:44 PM

Maybe you could start with a dsm, like a 97-99 eclipse gsx. It still has a 4g63 engine and an awd driveline with a 5 speed. It will be fast enough to scare the hell out of you and your friends then maybe in a year or two, when your use to that speed, upgrade to an evo.

Personally, I would have totalled an evo at 16. Evo's are fast, scary fast, just switching over from an ordinary car will take some getting use to.

I'm not sure what engine problems your talking about. Most evo's will expirience clutch issues, but that engine is damn near bullet proof, if you keep up on the maintenence, it will last a long time. My talons 4g63 has 144k on it.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am right now 15 but ill turn 16 in april and so ill be getting my license and hopefully a new car. I made this thread so i can get some comments if i should get the evo ix for my first car.
yes you should
Old Sep 20, 2005, 07:16 AM

so basically, ur family moved from the sunny coastline of california to the heat of texas due to money problems and u want them to use the left over change to buy u a brand new evo? wow... no offense, but talk about spoiled and immature ><
Old Sep 20, 2005, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many of us aren't parents but aside of the money issue.. Seriously what reasonable parent would put on the foot of a 16 year old 276 Horsepower. You need to respect that kind of power and I guarantee you'll crash it if you bought it. It really is too much for a newbie driver to not resist the temptation and then realize they can't control it yet.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

awww.. I want to evo ix realllly bad.. but I guess you guys are right.. Thanks for the comments..
This kid is alot more level headed than most.

Most of the time kids hop in here asking the same thing and we tell them the same thing we told you.

PROs
Its an evo!

Cons
first time driver
your new favorite hang out will be the gas station because it will burn a hole in your pocket
non forgiving transmission - grind it too much (being new you tend to do that, its natural)
very high maintanence - tires alone are going to run you a bare minimum of 180+ per tire (and thats with hookups) ranging all the way up to 260 PER tire. plus oil changes every 2500 miles (its a fantastic machine. treat it like one)

its deffinitely not easy to handle.

im 22, i go to school at night and work full time (roughly 30k a year, 14.50 an hour) live at home and pay rent (temporarily till im out of school) and let me tell you, this car is not easy to handle.

i love it and won't ever turn my back on it just so that i can have a little more fun on the weekends but you have to really dedicate your self to it if you're young.

especially at 15 or 16.

heres a reference to a kid who disregarded what we told him and didn't appreciate all he was already given.

best of luck and deffinitely get it later if you can.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

not that it will make a difference because when your that young and your mind is set on something.....well here goes anyway........you can get a cheap 1g dsm, and take a fraction of the money you were going to put down as a downpayment, and put it into bolt-ons. You'll have yourself a monster sleeper that you wont have to worry about people screwing up in the parking lot.
p.s. I get about 23mpg of mixed driving.
p.s.s. If you wreck it you can just go buy another one for $3k, and you wont be strapped
to a large car payment for a long time and high insurance premiums.

check out dsmtuners.com
Old Sep 20, 2005, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

i would umm just say umm NO
Old Sep 20, 2005, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

man i say go for it. im 16 and still currently have my first car which is a 99 mustang gt. within the first two weeks of having the car me and my dad were up at the track runnin the **** out of her. right now im getting rid of the gt for either an 03 cobra, evo, or sti. ive driven a couple supercharged cobras, one being an 03 with 460 to the wheels...so i really hate the typical sterotype that young people cant drive high powered cars. ive driven an evo and it wasnt hard in my opinion. so i say the best luck to you man, if you can get it then jump at the chance. have fun and stay safe
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by InfraRed
so i really hate the typical sterotype that young people cant drive high powered cars.
Yah some people are just stereotypical but it really depends on the situation. financially if he can afford it then go for it. Any 16yr old can get an evo as long as he/she can afford it. For people saying 16yr olds can't drive the evo is because they are jealous. They probably walked to school when they were at that age.