Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Using the Handbrake

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2005, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jasburbak
So i found this dirt road last nite near where i live and i kind of did some "offroad rallying" since its our cars heritage, to take the corners i kept on using the handbrake so i could slide through easily... but i did it for a while wondering if it could possibly hurt the car if used for a long duration of time..

Anyone know if doing so would hurt my car in anyway?

Plus, anyone know a good methods on how use the handbrake in such situations??

Thnks..
Wait, so you had the driving ability to do "rally style" slides yet you don't know the consequences of using the handbrake? Something is wrong here.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

read your PM's jasburbak!!
Old Sep 20, 2005, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jasburbak
hehe and do you have any recommendation on how im supposed to do that with a awd car? i can do it with my s2000 easily, that baby's *** is all over the place but with an evo? i guess you can in dirt tracks but can you on dry blacktop?
trust me.....you can drift ANYthing on blacktop, even a prelude, its all about whipping the car around when the turbo hits full boost. even on the Advans i could drift any corner i want
Old Sep 20, 2005, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

to Tsurara: i never said i was challenging Colin McRae, its just i drifted with my s2000 so many times (in Turkey where im from, we have excellent twisty roads to do that) that it was pretty much the same technique applied on the dirt... but i never needed the handbrake in the s2000 since already had a loose rear..
Old Sep 20, 2005, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Try using methods like trail braking and drop throttle oversteer to induce drifts, dirt or blacktop. Just be careful
Old Sep 20, 2005, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

by the way, when you drift(break traction) you loose time in a race on or off blacktop, reason WRC drivers drift is b/c of the speed they are at. I got into a 45 mph drift and corrected it perfectly in a AutoX Event and lost time even though it felt fast as hell
Old Sep 20, 2005, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

my evo drifts just fine on blacktop, it must be the driver. Take a physics class then you will be able to drift. I pulled off some pretty good 4 wheel drifts in my buddies civic SI when i was auto-xing it. and it was on hoosier's. Try crusing in 1st at 3000rpm make a 90 deg. left hand turn. 1/4 of the way through that turn floor it. your car will hit full boost and break the rear end loose. once you have a lack of traction, remember to point the front wheels in the direction you want to go. dont over countersteer because once your tires grap the car is going to go in the direction the front wheels are pointed with a quickness. switching to "gravel" mode will make it easier because more power is shifted to the rear
Old Sep 20, 2005, 09:26 AM

The true and proper textbook technique is to enter a turn a little bit faster than normal, pull the e-brake while simultaneously stepping in the clutch. When the rear begins to slide you'll want to begin to countersteer. During your countersteering, blip the throttle to rematch to revs again. Let the clutch out, keep on the gas, and return the steering to "straight ahead." You should be in the same gear the whole time from the moment you began turning the wheel.

So yes, step on the clutch when you pull the hand brake in a rwd or awd vehicle.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by abcdef
So yes, step on the clutch when you pull the hand brake in a rwd or awd vehicle.

That should read "step on the clutch when you pull the hand brake in a rwd or awd vehicle using a convential limited slip unit in the center differential"

It isn't needed in the 05 EVO due to the ACD de-coupleing the front wheels from the back when the e-brake is pulled.

Keith
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Watch Initial D for Drifting lessons lol