Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

272's + Tune + Stock Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2005, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
272's + Tune + Stock Clutch?

Guys I have a few questions, I will be heading up to Turbotrix for a custome tune, plus l'll be getting my 272's and studs installed along with a reflash, but the big ? is will my stock clutch be able to handle the power, I have done about 15-20 launches now, been to the track a few times, and it doesn't seem to be slipping when i hit full boost, but the car doesn't seem to pull as hard as it use to, the only time I felt the clutch slip is after I launched the car, what do you guys recommend?, also will my stock fmic handle the power I should be putting down, after 272's and my current mods, which are at the bottom.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 03:20 PM
Former Vendor

stock i/c is fine.. a well maintained clutch will handle the power no prob. a beaten one wont last much longer.. stock i/c good for 400 horse..
Old Sep 20, 2005, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Well then my only worry is really my clutch? I was looking at getting the RRE no name clutch, but they are all out, my buddy just got his ACT installed, and he says nothing bad about it, if I was going to order the ACT, will a brand new oem flywheel work with it, I heard it needs to be shaved off or something?
Old Sep 20, 2005, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

I make 330whp and my stock clutch holds like a beast. I don't launch the car or slip the clutch ever. I expect the clutch to last a pretty long while.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

I'm pretty sure a stock clutch can hold the power, but will mine, after the launches I've done.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Wicked Evo
Well then my only worry is really my clutch? I was looking at getting the RRE no name clutch, but they are all out, my buddy just got his ACT installed, and he says nothing bad about it, if I was going to order the ACT, will a brand new oem flywheel work with it, I heard it needs to be shaved off or something?
The stock one should be okay for now. Save your money for a twin disk later. Its night and day.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Well I made up my mind, I'll be heading up to Turbotrix in 2 weeks, and l'll just be getting the 272's, studs, and custom tune done only, I belive my stock clutch is still in pretty good shape, to a point it will handle the cams, I drive the car daily, and it doesn't slip, or smell like if it was slipping, best of luck to me.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

The clutch life depends on the driver. As for the ACT, some people have had lockout issues over 7000rpm. Warrtalon started a thread talking about his lockout issues with his ACT in the Engine/Drivetrain forum.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Wicked Evo
Well I made up my mind, I'll be heading up to Turbotrix in 2 weeks, and l'll just be getting the 272's, studs, and custom tune done only, I belive my stock clutch is still in pretty good shape, to a point it will handle the cams, I drive the car daily, and it doesn't slip, or smell like if it was slipping, best of luck to me.
I'm in the same position as you beside the fact I have not launched once on my stock clutch... in the next 2 weeks I'm going to Pruven to get my 272's installed w/ head studs and I'm on my stock clutch as well..

Yah I don't think a lot of people been having success with the ACT clutch but its not very expensive compared to the twin disks. I don't know what to do..

My clutch is still holding strong but I notice when I really try pushing my car fast to the limit my gears get locked out as well w/ the stock clutch. If I let the rpm's drop it shifts smoothly tho.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

I/C is fine... cluch is no good...

here's the test... if you have over 300whp and you can't spin the wheels a little off the line then you're losing power because the clutch can't hold it... you might be fine in daily driving still, but if you want to drag race you're going to need a clutch...

I know this because I have been test lauching my 305whp evo recently and it won't spin them and almost feels like it hesitates a little, the puts down all the power... If you speak to most people after they get a better clutch they'll tell you they have better 60' times and the lauch feels a lot stronger.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

I can hear and feel my front tires lose grip when I launch the car... but the only thing I really want, is for my clutch to hold up when I get my cams, and tune done, after that l'll be ordering the clutch, only problem is money doesn't grow on trees.