Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Do it yourself oil change question.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2003, 09:46 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do it yourself oil change question.

Couple of question concerning oil change.

1. Does the oil cooler automatically drains?
2. Anybody knows if any 4G63 filters work?
3. Is it safe or neccessary to crank the motor dry to get most of the oil out? *(perhaps this step is a no go due to turbocharged car)?

This is my first car with an oil cooler and turbo so please advise.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEVER NEVER crank the engine out of oil. Yes the engine will empty out of oil. You change it like any other car. There are no special rules and I wouldn't attempt using a filter from the early 4G63's. Get to know the parts guy at the dealer and see if they can help.

Are you changing the oil already?
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Use this filter from Mitsubishi MD356000. First change semi-synthetic. Next oil change full synthetic.

Erik
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:12 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Originally posted by erikgj
Use this filter from Mitsubishi MD356000. First change semi-synthetic. Next oil change full synthetic.

Erik
I think the factory came with full synthetic and it says moble 1 syntheic right on the cap so maybe i should do what recommended. I'm going to wait till 1k mile before the first oil change so i can redline it after that one in a while.

I'm actually getting towards 500miles now.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Read your PM.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:39 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

@ 450miles right now. Do NOT put anything but full synthetic in the car. It's just dumb not too, and if finds out, you WILL void your warranty as per the district service manager I talked too.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:43 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Fireball
@ 450miles right now. Do NOT put anything but full synthetic in the car. It's just dumb not too, and if finds out, you WILL void your warranty as per the district service manager I talked too.
I was planning to put full synthetic for that reason, thanks. Do anybody have any idea if we must have the car serviced at the dealers for maintance 15k miles down the road to keep our warrentee?
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

am i incorrect in stating that there is a break in period, before the first oil change... I've owned several new vehicles and i have always been told to wait at least 3000 miles before the first oil change due to the additives in the oil... so waiting is actually better then doing it right away???
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

No one can just void a warranty if you do not use the recommended lubricants. All they can do is deny warranty service on your engine components if you have a failure.

But that said, I would use the Mobil 1 as recommended for your next change, not a semi synth.

RTW Evo...As I understand it, the first oil change in a new car is done a few thousand miles into it's life due to the fact that a special "break-in" oil is initially dumped into the engine from fatcory. But for the Evo, people are anxious to do an early oil change so they can properly boost. Some members on this board who have owned turbo cars have warned that the break-in metal shavings in the oil could harm a turbo if some particles get stuck in the bearings...

SC~
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:56 AM

You can be assured that there will be some people that get denied warranty for doing their own maintenance. Just keep a record with dates and make sure you keep all receits for the materials. What causes a warranty denial is that people can't prove in writing that the work was actually done. If you can prove that you did do everything as per required you should not have any issues with warranty. It is still better to have the work done at the dealership strictly because that way it is documented in a data base system that is national stored.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 12:02 PM

If you can use the same filters on the VII as the VIII, which I assume you can. You may use the Fram oil filter model: PH6607. It is readily available!! I have been using them on my VII without any trouble. TAD had recommended this filter set up to me.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Claudius
Nothing but fully synthetic, preferably 10W60.
10W60, isn't that a little heavy? 60 sounds more like transmission fluid viscosity! I guess if you're really working the engine you'd want something heavier, but 60 sounds awfully heavy.