Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

what the search button does for me

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2005, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what the search button does for me

it seems that everytime i ask a question i get two or three replies total and they all usually tell me to use the search button. the first few times i tired it but you know what i find: A HUNDRED THREADS ASKING THE SAME QUESTION WHERE THEY TOLD THAT GUY TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON TOO!! im a newbie, and im *****in i know, but just an observation i made.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
actually... i hate searching... usually cuz the search function on all boards really sucks ***... i look at other people's searches and see "" and the thing is quotes don't do **** for ****ty forum search engines. and they don't allow you to search two letter things even if they're unique as **** and it WOULD find the damn thread if it just let you serach for those two letter "words". i really really really hate the search function. it sucks... i'll spend about 20 searches all ****in' 15 seconds apart trying to find a stupid thread that i can't remember an EXACT phrase from. it's really annoying.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
oops
Old Sep 20, 2005, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

You know what? Actually searching does this forum no good at all. It decreases all interaction between memebers of this forum. It seems like Mods used to tell people to search, not so much anymore.

so what if people ask again? If you know, you chip in, if you don't move on. If you just can't stand the questions over and over again, just post a useful link to the old question.

Interaction is what this forum is all about. Search is great, but it's not what this forum is all about. Of course, the down side is the back-end database, but from what I can tell, this site has its db performance handled. When this first started, duplicate could cause some problems on hosting, NOt AnyMore~

keep those questions coming while don't forget the search button.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AaronOZ
You know what? Actually searching does this forum no good at all. It decreases all interaction between memebers of this forum. It seems like Mods used to tell people to search, not so much anymore.

so what if people ask again? If you know, you chip in, if you don't move on. If you just can't stand the questions over and over again, just post a useful link to the old question.

Interaction is what this forum is all about. Search is great, but it's not what this forum is all about. Of course, the down side is the back-end database, but from what I can tell, this site has its db performance handled. When this first started, duplicate could cause some problems on hosting, NOt AnyMore~

keep those questions coming while don't forget the search button.
ya interaction is what the forum is about, but people here dont want to interact about the same damn things day in, day out. if new info comes along then great, otherwise, whats going to make your topic so much more special, than first person that posted it, and actually got really great answers, and now that people are getting tired of answering the same questions over and over, when a quick search, could have helped you out a lot faster....

all it is is just being lazy...maybe learn how to use the advanced search...i dont get why some people complain, and how other people can find everything that they are looking for?...

Last edited by lookslikeanevo; Sep 20, 2005 at 10:31 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

please use the search for search questions/complaints! LOL
Old Sep 20, 2005, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

there's already a thread like this. you could've gotten your aggravation out if you used search and read someone else's post. ahahaha

who cares if people tell you to use search. ASK AWAY, i'm sure there's at least one person who'll be willing to help. if not, i don't know what else to say other than, "what is this world coming to???".
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:05 PM

I hear the whole search thing. There is always that dude that gets mad about asking a question and tells you to search. Every search I have ever done comes back with the furthest thing from what I was looking for. So here's to you mad guy for helping me waste my time.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

i totally agree with this thread!!!!
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe it's possiable to install a better search engine into this forum? Also, it's hard to search sometimes because the first page of results are normally from the Attention Post ****** thread and other big threads where every word/phrase has been posted into. Also, I don't agree with the 15 second wait in between searches.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lookslikeanevo
ya interaction is what the forum is about, but people here dont want to interact about the same damn things day in, day out. if new info comes along then great, otherwise, whats going to make your topuc so much more special, than first first person that posted it, and actually got really great answers, and no that people are getting tired of answering the same questions over and over, when a quick search, could hav helped you out a lot faster....

all it is is just being lazy...maybe learned how to use the advanced search...i dont get why some people complain, and how other people can find everything that they are looking for?...
+1
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

i just wanted to make sure i wasnt crazy, yeah i know how to use the advanced search, and i do almost daily. sometimes it helps me most of the time i find what i was talking about
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try to narrow your search

advance
search topic titles (title only)
and possible specific forums
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Its a FORUM, and even more so...a "community" where people interact, and discuss. We shouldn't have to "search". We should just be able to post a new thread, regarding our question in the appropriate forum. Simple as that.

Searching is for Google..
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

I like how this is almost entirely half and half... my opinion on the matter is the following:

It pretty much is half and half, suck it up and remember that you're not in High School vying for a position in the popular clique and ask if a 2" or a 3" exhaust is better or if you're supposed to put oil in the engine... those people who spaz about it are the ones who need to search, for the threads they want to comment on, and not the ones with the questions that have been asked over and over again. There are those of us who really don't care a whole lot (even though sometimes I get a little/very annoyed by the reposts of videos, and definitly VERY annoyed by the multi-section posts of the same damn thing because they think it will increase their chance of being answered, when there's 5 "What is wrong with my car" threads listed on the home page, all in different sections, people are a lot less likely to even want to look at it then if there was just 1 saying "OMFG I am a newb, what's wrong with my car?"