Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

K&N Typhoon vs Other Intakes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2005, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rsboy
Expensive? Not at all. The RMR is just the intake cone and the adapter for the MAF. Pretty straight forward intake kit. Still uses the stock piping to the turbo.
Pic:

Pretty good setup though. I still have it stored and should sell it. I probably won't be going back to it since I'm flashed for the Injen setup. It's a good kit if you plan to upgrade from the stock airbox.
Ooohh, I thaught that you where talking about the RMR intake pipe, that cost $288 by itself. +$120 for the intake filter = $408 for just the intake
Old Oct 2, 2005, 10:31 AM

I have the K&N Typhoon right now and am beginning to wonder on its capabilities..I am not tuned now, but when I was it seemed great..so right now, you guys think I would be good with the K&N filter and adapter but run it with the stock MAF pipe right>>let me know I will go in the garage and try this now!!
Old Oct 5, 2005, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4TUN8
Ok here is my K&N story, because I doubt many people have done as much testing as I have with it.

I originally put this on my car prior to my tune, I had it on there for about 3 hours total. At the time I had a full turbo back exhaust with the cat still in, and the intake. I ran the car with just the turboback on, and it ran VERY strong, even without a tune.

To test this, I used my G-tech, on the same road, under the same conditions (same day).

So I put the full intake on the car, I run it on the G-tech, the car went 0-60 in 5.2 seconds. The car ran like absolute garbage, stalling all the time, it felt really flat after 4000rpm, etc. It almost felt like a boost leak, and honestly it could have been. After removing the intake the car went 4.6 second 0-60.

So....I take the intake off, and just use the adapter and filter. Car runs awsome, pulls hard to about 6500rpm. I get the car tuned shortly after (with a cat delete in place). Car makes 300awhp and 304ft-lbs.

I tried running the MAF pipe again after being tuned, same situation felt like it wanted to stall, power band felt flat and gutless.

Sooooooo....I put the MAF pipe and the whole set up back on the car when I went in to get cams/tuning done. Car made 320awhp-330ft-lbs and it felt pretty good. Well, just because I was curious, I took the MAF pipe back out on this tune, and the car pulls HARD, way harder then it did, and I wouldn't be suprised to see it put down 325hp down to the wheels on it's current setup.

So, my overall diagnosis? The stock MAF pipe can't be beat.
A big +1. After doing quite a bit of testing I ended up with about the same results.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 09:56 AM

k guys guess i gonna take mine off and use it with the stock MAF pipe..so I will use the heatshield,adapter and filter only right?/ thanks alot!! will let you know as I am getting retuned this weekend.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Its Fine Just Lean Out Your Fuel Mixture I Have One Got 4 Whp Out Of It Remember Kiddies K&n Are Oil Based Filters So They Run Rich, These Are All Rumors Like Lil Highschool Girls Stop Spreading Info Unless You Have Tested It. And I Dont Mean Driving And Saying It Felt Bad!!! Come On Rookies
Old Oct 5, 2005, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVIL EVO 8
Its Fine Just Lean Out Your Fuel Mixture I Have One Got 4 Whp Out Of It Remember Kiddies K&n Are Oil Based Filters So They Run Rich, These Are All Rumors Like Lil Highschool Girls Stop Spreading Info Unless You Have Tested It. And I Dont Mean Driving And Saying It Felt Bad!!! Come On Rookies
You are a horrible addition to this site. You have no freakin clue what you're talking about, and you refuse to stop typing in CAPS. K&N drop-in filters being "oil-based" does not make the car run rich. Talk about spreading ridiculous rumors, jeez...
Old Oct 5, 2005, 04:40 PM

The HKS RS with a tune is NICE
Old Oct 5, 2005, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
You are a horrible addition to this site. You have no freakin clue what you're talking about, and you refuse to stop typing in CAPS. K&N drop-in filters being "oil-based" does not make the car run rich. Talk about spreading ridiculous rumors, jeez...
well Im gonna try the K&N Typhoon filter,heatshield, and adapter with the stock MAF pipe..just curious what you think of this WARR??