Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

K&N Typhoon vs Other Intakes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N Typhoon vs Other Intakes

I saw someone write that the Typhoon is one of the worst intakes you can get..Just wondering if there is anyone that has one on their car, or if there is an explanation to why it is so bad?
Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

perfomance wise still the same. You're better off with just the filter. Some how the car wants to stall if you install with all the components that it came with. Works fine with just the cone filter. I heard you have to get it tune.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

I had the K&N typhoon intake setup on my car and with the turbo inlet pipe it was horrible untuned...however i got the hks suction and broke the bracket on the hks filter part, so replaced it with the k&N cone filter...its kinda a weird combo, but hey it works for me just fine!
Old Sep 21, 2005, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I planned on just sending my ECU to dynoflash anyway, so i was just going to put it on and then have them flash it for that too..
Old Sep 21, 2005, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
pmed you
Old Sep 21, 2005, 02:42 PM

Typhooned Not

I had the Typhoon installed w/o a tune and the car ran slower and hit fuel cut especially when it was cold out. Note: this does not feel too good. I have heard that with a tune it might be ok. Good luck do your research. The panel filter with a flash works pretty good.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

In one of the magazine, I think D-sport, they tested the K&N typhoon and said they gained like 10whp from it. I think that was tested on an MR with only a catback and without a tune. I, myself, have heard all the bad experiences with this product, so I would stay away from it if I were you. I went with the HKS RS. Couldn't be happier.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got a K&N Typhoon with turbo inlet pipe. No problems so far, and the car hasn't been tuned!
Old Sep 21, 2005, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok here is my K&N story, because I doubt many people have done as much testing as I have with it.

I originally put this on my car prior to my tune, I had it on there for about 3 hours total. At the time I had a full turbo back exhaust with the cat still in, and the intake. I ran the car with just the turboback on, and it ran VERY strong, even without a tune.

To test this, I used my G-tech, on the same road, under the same conditions (same day).

So I put the full intake on the car, I run it on the G-tech, the car went 0-60 in 5.2 seconds. The car ran like absolute garbage, stalling all the time, it felt really flat after 4000rpm, etc. It almost felt like a boost leak, and honestly it could have been. After removing the intake the car went 4.6 second 0-60.

So....I take the intake off, and just use the adapter and filter. Car runs awsome, pulls hard to about 6500rpm. I get the car tuned shortly after (with a cat delete in place). Car makes 300awhp and 304ft-lbs.

I tried running the MAF pipe again after being tuned, same situation felt like it wanted to stall, power band felt flat and gutless.

Sooooooo....I put the MAF pipe and the whole set up back on the car when I went in to get cams/tuning done. Car made 320awhp-330ft-lbs and it felt pretty good. Well, just because I was curious, I took the MAF pipe back out on this tune, and the car pulls HARD, way harder then it did, and I wouldn't be suprised to see it put down 325hp down to the wheels on it's current setup.

So, my overall diagnosis? The stock MAF pipe can't be beat.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

Hmm, interesting- thanks for the replies. The reason I asked is because I got a really good deal on a Typhoon, which I bought awhile ago...But I may just sell it on ebay cheap and buy something else, seems that it's a 50/50 with that thing everywhere I ask.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

I had it but car didn't feel good with it at all. Didn't get tuning with it at all. Read a few tuners just did not like the Typhoon setup at all, including Dynoflash.
Sold it and bought a RMR intake and it ran so much better before and after tuning.
I've since upgraded to the Injen setup and I like it very much.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blink2824
I had the K&N typhoon intake setup on my car and with the turbo inlet pipe it was horrible untuned...however i got the hks suction and broke the bracket on the hks filter part, so replaced it with the k&N cone filter...its kinda a weird combo, but hey it works for me just fine!
Sounds like what I have going on. I am running the HKS RS intake pipe with the K&N (typhoon) cone filter. The car feels good, but I don't have all the fancy equiptment to know what setup worked the best. the Typhoon, the HKS RS, Stock, or the combo of HKS&typhoon.

I think if you do a search for the "Typhoon" there is a lot of bad reviews. I wish I would have done my homework before I bought the darn thing.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rsboy
I had it but car didn't feel good with it at all. Didn't get tuning with it at all. Read a few tuners just did not like the Typhoon setup at all, including Dynoflash.
Sold it and bought a RMR intake and it ran so much better before and after tuning.
I've since upgraded to the Injen setup and I like it very much.
You said upgrade from RMR intake to Injen. Is'nt the RMR intake more expensive=better??

I'll be trading my typhoon for a injen soon myself, just wondering
Old Sep 22, 2005, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evolving03
.Just wondering if there is anyone that has one on their car
a few people have it
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=147111
Old Sep 22, 2005, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wallyevolution
You said upgrade from RMR intake to Injen. Is'nt the RMR intake more expensive=better??

I'll be trading my typhoon for a injen soon myself, just wondering
Expensive? Not at all. The RMR is just the intake cone and the adapter for the MAF. Pretty straight forward intake kit. Still uses the stock piping to the turbo.
Pic:

Pretty good setup though. I still have it stored and should sell it. I probably won't be going back to it since I'm flashed for the Injen setup. It's a good kit if you plan to upgrade from the stock airbox.