Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tarmac--Gravel--Snow ??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tarmac--Gravel--Snow ??

I have a 05 Evo VIII. It has the push button thing for these 3 settings. The owners manual is kind of a joke and doesn't really tell you anything about the 3 settings.

I have searched the forum but have not really found answers.

My question is what does the car do differently when in these settings? I have heard that Gravel puts more to the rear wheels but the person who told me this wasn't really sure.

My main concern is autocross. Are any of the settings other than Tarmac something that I should try?

Thanks

Jim H.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SOLO2M3
I have a 05 Evo VIII. It has the push button thing for these 3 settings. The owners manual is kind of a joke and doesn't really tell you anything about the 3 settings.

I have searched the forum but have not really found answers.

My question is what does the car do differently when in these settings? I have heard that Gravel puts more to the rear wheels but the person who told me this wasn't really sure.

My main concern is autocross. Are any of the settings other than Tarmac something that I should try?

Thanks

Jim H.
Search for "ACD" or "ACD settings" to get the full explanation. We have posted the full explanation of the ACD functions on here several times, so try to find that.

Don't switch from Tarmac while autocrossing unless it's wet - then use Gravel.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changes F/R split %. Gravel and Snow both have more F balance. Dont ask me the % because I forget. But, chances are unless you see snow where you live you will never change it!
Old Sep 21, 2005, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
"The Mitsubishi, on the other hand, never sends the majority of engine torque to the rear axle. Instead, it can send all the engine torque to the front wheels or 50 percent of it (using an electrohydraulic clutch on the center diff). So the Evo varies the front-to-rear torque split between 100/0 and 50/50. In addition to the yaw-rate and throttle-position sensors, the Evo has a steering-wheel-angle sensor that also provides the computer with information." - C&D

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=9052

There was a full artical in C&D about the ACD system (I have it somewhere at home). The subi shifts more to the rear v. our 50% at most to the rear.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
"The Mitsubishi, on the other hand, never sends the majority of engine torque to the rear axle. Instead, it can send all the engine torque to the front wheels or 50 percent of it (using an electrohydraulic clutch on the center diff). So the Evo varies the front-to-rear torque split between 100/0 and 50/50. In addition to the yaw-rate and throttle-position sensors, the Evo has a steering-wheel-angle sensor that also provides the computer with information." - C&D

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=9052

There was a full artical in C&D about the ACD system (I have it somewhere at home). The subi shifts more to the rear v. our 50% at most to the rear.
Wow. That is the first time I had read that article. The evo got freakin smoked!