Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HELP - Boost dropped after forge BOV install

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2005, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP - Boost dropped after forge BOV install

Ok. So my roomate and I just installed my Injen Intake and Upper Intercooler pipe kit as well as a Forge RS BOV. Besides a boost gauge, this is my first mod. Prior to install, I was boosting 20.5psi or so settling to around 17 (stock). After the intake and BOV install, I'm only boosting 15psi or so.

The car feels strong and almost as if I'm boosting sooner. The other thing I noticed is that the BOV is rather loud. This is the Recirc BOV. I like the sound but I was under the impression that it wouldn't give off a loud woosh. It makes me think that something wasn't installed right.

I realize I'm burning very rich and a tune is in my near future to take full advantage of my mods. The Valve also has an adjustable + and - on the top for fine tuning. I am using the stock spring with the BOV but don't know where it should be set at stock boost levels.

Perhaps I didn't set this properly or now I have a boost leak. Or maybe it's working just fine but I don't think I should be reading a lower boost. Being the novice I am, any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!!
Old Sep 21, 2005, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

You probably didn't set the BOV correctly. Are you certain the BOV is oriented correctly? I've heard they are extremely loud when set up backwards. Are you using a MBC or EBC?
Old Sep 21, 2005, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Twist the adjustable knob on the BOV all the way to negative then 2 1/2 full turns positive. That should be a proper setting for you setup. The intake is what is making your BOV so loud, not improper install. My guess is the injen kit is what is causeing the low boost, not the BOV.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
try recirculating it...i think it may be a soft limp type of thing...
Old Sep 22, 2005, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not using a boost controller yet. Injen intake has worked fine for others I have talked to. Adjusted my BOV to all the way - then 2.5 turns +. Still only boosting at 15psi.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

There is no way you can install the Forge RS bov backward unless ??????. Are you using the 1g flange or the stock flange? Do a boost leak test because when I put my on it was leaking from the flange and bov.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

thanks, I'll check it out later today. Just got my exhaust on. WOW. now I just need my full boost back
Old Sep 22, 2005, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

When you add an open element you hear the air thats routed back into the intake tract which is what your hearing. I wouldnt worry.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry I missed this!

The sound you are hearing (BOV sound) is because of the fact that you now have an open element filter and intake system which is less restrictive and muffled than the OEM airbox. This allows for the increase in noise.

As far as the boost pressure is concerned, the problem would be coming from one of two possibilities.

Either the valve is not adjusted properly and is leaking boost once the pressure surpasses the rating of the adjustment of the spring, or....

... there is a leak somewhere in the piping replaced when installing the Injen components.

Check all of your connections and clamps and continue "playing with" the adjustment of the valve. It shouldn't be anything serious.