Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Hello all I am new and how bad did I screw up my car?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2005, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all I am new and how bad did I screw up my car?

Hello all....

I'm an owner of a new evo (05 GSR) with around 1k miles.

I bought at San Rafael Mitsu (they rock!!!)

Basically what I wanted to ask was.... how badly did I screw up my car?

The story: on the street (straight) ... wanted to try to launch the car...

So... before the light turned green, I revved to about 3k-4krpms

When the light turned green, I tried to release the clutch slowly and also had my right foot on the accelerator. Basically I was already at 3-4krpm and while releasing the clutch, and at the same time I gased it. The evo did not really take off like a rocket... it was somewhat fast (slightly faster then when just putting it into first, clutch in, engage, gas, clutch out) I remember letting the clutch out before 7k rpm. (i know, it has to be bad) However, when I pushed the clutch back in and tried to shift to 2nd, the car wouldn't respond. It was basically stuck at 7k rpm with the speed slowly going up. So I was like ok wtf? So I let the clutch out and then push it into 3rd. And then everything went back to normal.

Wait.... what's the burning smell.... the clutch smelt bad for a LONG time (30 minutes or so). On my drive home I took it REAL slow and stayed off the turbo.

Here is what I think happened: When I launched the car, I had the clutch in wayyy too long and I gased it so that it went beyond what it is capable of holding. But I dont understand why the engine was stuck at 7k rpm when I shifted to 2nd... it was like nothing happened??? But when I put it back to 3rd it was ok.

Ok, I know I'm wordy, but I'm very confused and conered right now. If anyone know what went wrong (besides the obvious fact that I don't know how to launch), please help me out.

Thanks!
Old Sep 22, 2005, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol - you just burned the $hit out of your clutch. good thing is , the clutch should still be good. you just need more practice
Old Sep 22, 2005, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

I did the same thing when i first tried to launch it. Don't worry about the clutch it should be fine, most people with AWD cars learning to launch them will do the same thing; along with any woman with and manual car.

Now the rev's sticking at 7k i'm not sure about.

From now on when launching your car do it right. 2005's have stock studder box (not exactly but same idea) at 5k. Come to a complete stop in neutral, put her in 1st and floor it; IE it takes a couple tries to get it to work sometimes. It will bounce right at 5,000. Just wait for the go, and don't drop the clutch but let it out pretty darn quick, almost as fast as dropping it just without taking your foot all the way off the pedal.

No smell, and rocket launch your looking for!
Old Sep 22, 2005, 11:54 PM
Former Vendor

+ 1
Originally Posted by KOEvo
I did the same thing when i first tried to launch it. Don't worry about the clutch it should be fine, most people with AWD cars learning to launch them will do the same thing; along with any woman with and manual car.

Now the rev's sticking at 7k i'm not sure about.

From now on when launching your car do it right. 2005's have stock studder box (not exactly but same idea) at 5k. Come to a complete stop in neutral, put her in 1st and floor it; IE it takes a couple tries to get it to work sometimes. It will bounce right at 5,000. Just wait for the go, and don't drop the clutch but let it out pretty darn quick, almost as fast as dropping it just without taking your foot all the way off the pedal.

No smell, and rocket launch your looking for!
Old Sep 23, 2005, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

You can sak many people on this forum

A clutch will run you about $800 to $1500 to replace.

Unfortunately you will be doing this sooner than most individuals
Old Sep 23, 2005, 04:18 AM

Old Sep 23, 2005, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ What In The ?!?!?!?!
Old Sep 23, 2005, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by DCSilvrEvo
^ What In The ?!?!?!?!
hahahaha, that's funny!
Old Sep 23, 2005, 05:00 AM
Evolving Member

Clutch got smoked as stated previously, but should be OK, just took some life out of it.

As far as the RPM's staying high, has something to do with the ECU maintaining a higher rpm's during spirited driving, I believe a blip of the throttle and it goes back to normal. There is a thread on this somewhere in here.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

lol nice graph.. looks like you just joined a few months ago though
Old Sep 23, 2005, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Smoked her pretty good there. Shouldnt have hurt too much, just took some life off of it.

You have an 05 (as do I). They have a rev holder for emissions. The revs stay high to flow more air and thin out the uber gas to pass emissions. Take the car out of gear and press the clutch in and out, that will turn off the rev hold.

First, launching is not really meant for street use, I recommend track only. But we have a 5 K limiter, and they make great stutter boxes. How to: clutch in, in first gear, floor the gas - you will bounce on the 5 K limiter and build about 8-10 psi of boost. Let the clutch out just enough to take the slack out then walk it back to launch and sidestep it about half way out. Then you will take off like a rocket.

Warrtalon has a some good posts on the ins and outs of drag racing Evos. Search for some of his posts.

EDIT: In case you are wondering. Yes I have an ACT clutch - I didnt like the feel of the stocker so thats sitting on my bench back home. I was bored last time I was home, so I swapped it out with my mechanic. Its a back up if I need it.

Last edited by Smike; Sep 23, 2005 at 05:56 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

Stories like this reinforce my thinking that it's a bad idea to buy a used EVO.

The damage you do to your clutch/drive-line when launching at high-RPM is just not worth it IMO. Why risk it?
Old Sep 23, 2005, 07:49 AM

thanks for those who posted something constructive! i really appreciate it. you guys helped me understand what went wrong and how to launch properly.

for those that didn't post something constructive...well... no comment
Old Sep 23, 2005, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

you only had a 1k miles on it before you launched so yeah you're gonna get a little clutch smell. Once you get the launching down you shouldn't get that smell anymore. Well maybe a little.

The 5k limiter actually saves you by not letting you launch too crazy in your car even though you can still burn the hell out of your clutch by slipping it too much.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ShiftySVT
Stories like this reinforce my thinking that it's a bad idea to buy a used EVO.

The damage you do to your clutch/drive-line when launching at high-RPM is just not worth it IMO. Why risk it?

why risk what? Driving your car and having fun with it? Well because that's why you buy the freaking car. If you want something to just drive around and not have fun in, then you go buy a fucus svt

Quick Reply: Hello all I am new and how bad did I screw up my car?