Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

gsc cams nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2005, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gsc cams nightmare

Edited the post. Will send the cams to greg at gsc to get measured. You may close the thread. Sorry for all the rant it may have caused

Last edited by evosorio; Sep 29, 2005 at 09:20 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
install problem appears to be pretty obvious to me. I wouldnt blame the cams, blame your installer.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Not too sure what to think here. The GSC 272's have the exact same lift as the stockers, 264's, and 280's. Unless your specific cams happened to be manufactured wrong, in which a higher lift was produced for the valves in cylinder 1 and cylinder 4, that would be unfortunate. I highly doubt, however, that this is the case. I dont want to blame the cams nor your installer, but i would look into it more...did you look at the GSC's?? do they appear to be faulty?? Secondly, how reputable is the shop that installed them?? You say they are, but they still could have made the mistake, not the cams.

Last edited by xiaoni420; Sep 25, 2005 at 08:57 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2GDSM
install problem appears to be pretty obvious to me. I wouldnt blame the cams, blame your installer.
+1
Old Sep 25, 2005, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
If I understand you, you are saying that the cams are ground incorrectly.
This should be easy to check with a pair of calipers.
If this is the case, you may have some recource with GSC to pick up the cost of repairs.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xiaoni420
Not too sure what to think here. The GSC 272's have the exact same lift as the stockers, 264's, and 280's. Unless your specific cams happened to be manufactured wrong, in which a higher lift was produced for the valves in cylinder 1 and cylinder 4, that would be unfortunate. I highly doubt, however, that this is the case. I dont want to blame the cams nor your installer, but i would look into it more...did you look at the GSC's?? do they appear to be faulty??
The shear odds that the cams coulda been manufactured wrong is a option, but, what are the odds?? Really?? If this is the case, this guy just might have the worst luck ever. Im not saying it isnt possible, but in a case like this, the installation was most likely the problem.

Either way, i WOULD send the cams back to GSC and tell them what happened, and have them check the specs on them. If they are faulty, they hey, you will probably get that damaged paid for.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Nick!! lucky you, work = play now huh))

Originally Posted by xiaoni420
Not too sure what to think here. The GSC 272's have the exact same lift as the stockers, 264's, and 280's. Unless your specific cams happened to be manufactured wrong, in which a higher lift was produced for the valves in cylinder 1 and cylinder 4, that would be unfortunate. I highly doubt, however, that this is the case. I dont want to blame the cams nor your installer, but i would look into it more...did you look at the GSC's?? do they appear to be faulty?? Secondly, how reputable is the shop that installed them?? You say they are, but they still could have made the mistake, not the cams.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Abner!!! haha
Old Sep 25, 2005, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

I bet the installer made a mistake putting back on. The valve problem suggests that He missed TDC location of timing belt when he put the belt on cam gears.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2GDSM
+2
Old Sep 25, 2005, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Highly doubt it was the installer, he's done this plenty of times without any setbacks, plus we had a pair of hks cams sitting there and installed those with out any problems, so if the car was not timed or the belt skipped, then the exact same thing should have happened with the hks cams, it did not. I would be a good idea to measure them, and there is such a bad thing as bad luck. You could make 99 that work, but there's always that 1 %

Besides, it's not hte first issue. One of our friends bough a pair of gsc's and had to send them back because they wouldn't fit, greg from gsc was a stand up guy and changed them

Last edited by evosorio; Sep 25, 2005 at 09:33 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by taenaive
I bet the installer made a mistake putting back on. The valve problem suggests that He missed TDC location of timing belt when he put the belt on cam gears.

+1
Old Sep 25, 2005, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

^^ so i'd contact GSC, you're looking at major repairs here and if you don't think you or your installer are responsible, send them to GSC and talk to the guy you know over there (Greg). Sorry to hear that bro
Old Sep 25, 2005, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Install issue not the cams.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

seriously, why did he have to put on other cams to prove that the gsc's are off? i bet he found tdc when he put in the hks cams. a hour or two of labor vs. a few minutes with a caliper. sounds really fishy. but good luck none the less.

my vote goes with installer.

Quick Reply: gsc cams nightmare