Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

20G Fever!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am hoping close to 400hp at 22psi with everything I already have on the car.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

I am sticking with the stock clutch for now so I am going with a conservative tune until the clutch goes. After that goes then I will go with cams and stronger clutch and up the boost a little more.

MAtt
Old Oct 4, 2005, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mattsevo
I ordered the TME 20G, ported exhaust mani and 02 housing from BR. Turbotrix is doing the install on Oct 10th so hopefully with a good tune I should see some decent gains along with the Buschur stage 2 getting installed at the same time. I hope for around 330whp @ 21psi...is that too optimistic.

Matt
If you have cams, ypu should see way more than that.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Where are you getting your dyno numbers? From what I've read on the forums the 20G has yet to show a peak gain in WHP over the stock turbo. Take the Buschur RS. It dynoed 393 whp on the stock turbo and 94 octane on the Buschur dynojet. The car now dynoes 361 on the new Mustang Dyno and David Buschur just posted that this is equivalent to 425 dynojet -- so the car has picked up about 32 whp with the addition of a ported head, 20G, 4-5 psi and 118 leaded race gas. The head is worth an easy 20 whp at this power level. David has posted that in connection with the BR440 buildup. That leaves 12 whp of gain for the race gas and 20G. Even if the stock turbo was maxed out and couldn't make more boost, the race gas would allow a lot more timing. That would more than explain the 12 whp. What does that leave for the 20G? More power from peak to redline is the answer I think -- just like the WR turbo. From what's been posted so far, I think anyone buying a 20G with a less than maxed out stock turbo is going to be disappointed if they are looking for a significant PEAK gain.
Well true I won't have a maxed out stock turbo, but that is why I want a 20g. I don't plan to max out the 20g either. I am pretty sure the 20g will make more power than the 16g if they are upgraded to the same degree. I only plan to run about 21psi on 93 octane. 264 cams, hks downpipe and 3"catback. The only other option would be to get a bigger turbo.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 03:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by inariv5573
Well true I won't have a maxed out stock turbo, but that is why I want a 20g. I don't plan to max out the 20g either. I am pretty sure the 20g will make more power than the 16g if they are upgraded to the same degree. I only plan to run about 21psi on 93 octane. 264 cams, hks downpipe and 3"catback. The only other option would be to get a bigger turbo.
On a mild setup (no ported head, no ported intake manifold, no TB, no upgraded FMIC) at 21 psi on pump, the 20g may or may not make more peak power. It should hold boost better to redline and holds its peak power out longer, but the actual peak may not change at all from a 16g, especially a 10.5 stock turbo. You do have other options -- like an upgraded FMIC, a ported O2/exhaust manifold, etc. -- other than a turbo upgrade. I don't know that the 20g makes sense until you have all supporting mods and have run out of easy mods that make noticeable gains, especially if you aren't planning to turn up the boost.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 10:55 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
/\ that seems to be a somewhat correct assumption. At stock boost levels, the 20G should out perform a "stock" turbo pretty easily. However that gain in performance will be on the far right side of the peak in the graph. However, people who think that these "modified stock turbos" will not make a significant improvement in over all performance are grossly mistaken. Take a look at David's most recent trap speeds with the 20G.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by inariv5573
with the above setup, you don't even need to buy the 20G. as long as you have good A/F readings, you'll be fine on the stocker. i spiked my stock turbo to 37PSI (yes there are witnesses) & it didn't blow up. i constantly run 25PSI on my base Dynoflash & still pull strong even with stock cams!!

if you want a cheap alternative that looks stock, i say go with it, but i don't forsee that much more of a power gain. everyone is quick to yank the stock turbo without capitalizing on its potential.

if you have the $ you can always get the stock FQ400 kit from Owen Developments.

http://www.owendevelopments.co.uk/pr...-products.html
Old Oct 5, 2005, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

^^thats so siiick
Old Oct 5, 2005, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Al, I assumed you have tuned both the 20g and WRI might have missed this answer, but what is your overall opinion on which make more power on pump?
Old Oct 7, 2005, 01:52 PM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Sweet! That Owen Developments system looks a LOT like the custom turbo system from APS (http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/us...x_manifold.htm)

I've been trying to find the APS kit, but nobody seems to carry it. Maybe they're not making it for some reason. Anyway, thanks for the Owns Dev link. Properly matching the turbocharger to your engine/setup is absolutely critical, and many people overlook this task. I'd rather save my pennies and get a kit made by engineers who have designed the entire system to perform on my Evo. I'm a much better driver than I am an engineer!

I too am looking for a safe (no more than) 400whp turbo setup, and this thread has helped in my decision-making. Thanks to all!
Old Oct 9, 2005, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Pd1
Sweet! That Owen Developments system looks a LOT like the custom turbo system from APS (http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/us...x_manifold.htm)

I've been trying to find the APS kit, but nobody seems to carry it. Maybe they're not making it for some reason. Anyway, thanks for the Owns Dev link. Properly matching the turbocharger to your engine/setup is absolutely critical, and many people overlook this task. I'd rather save my pennies and get a kit made by engineers who have designed the entire system to perform on my Evo. I'm a much better driver than I am an engineer!

I too am looking for a safe (no more than) 400whp turbo setup, and this thread has helped in my decision-making. Thanks to all!

i have 3 owen kits on the shelf as they fail to make the power . manifold and elbow is just wrong.\
\

dave
Old Oct 9, 2005, 11:24 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by evo400
i have 3 owen kits on the shelf as they fail to make the power . manifold and elbow is just wrong.\
\

dave

Ummm Uhhh, I don't believe you. Send me a couple and I'll let you know
Old Oct 9, 2005, 12:42 PM

still not 1 dyno graph !!! has any one run a dyno dynamics rollers with a 20 g set up !!!!!
Old Oct 9, 2005, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by Pd1

Unfortunately, APS is not doing the kit for the US market EVO 8. There are a few in existance, but none for sale.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evo400
still not 1 dyno graph !!!
Yeah, whats the deal. I'd like to see a 20G on a Buschur Stage 4 before and after dyno runs, preferably same day. Also tuned using an SAFC II.

Quick Reply: 20G Fever!