Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

20G Fever!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
so when does that thing spool?
Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:48 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Ball Bearing 50 Trim? Quite fast, not as fast as daves 20G From what I am reading.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 07:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It really is only a part throttle issue for most people.. It happens to spool faster than people expect and that is where the surge comes from, part of it is driving style, part of it is how stiff some of the peoples BOV's are set so they are never opening adequately at part throttle and lower boost levels. This really is the EXACT same type of surge I used to get with my stock turbo and the HKS SSQV because it couldn't vent at part throttle adequately or when it would ramp too quikly. I also am using closed loop boost to keep the boost from spooling as quickly as it was and it solved the problem on the stock turbo and shouldn't be any different. It really is a matter of adjustment because the turbo spools and hits so hard at low RPM...
Old Oct 24, 2005, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

subscribed
Old Oct 24, 2005, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
It really is only a part throttle issue for most people.. It happens to spool faster than people expect and that is where the surge comes from, part of it is driving style, part of it is how stiff some of the peoples BOV's are set so they are never opening adequately at part throttle and lower boost levels. This really is the EXACT same type of surge I used to get with my stock turbo and the HKS SSQV because it couldn't vent at part throttle adequately or when it would ramp too quikly. I also am using closed loop boost to keep the boost from spooling as quickly as it was and it solved the problem on the stock turbo and shouldn't be any different. It really is a matter of adjustment because the turbo spools and hits so hard at low RPM...
Are you refering to the TME turbo or standard wheel? I think that I could handle the surge issue, with proper tuning and or throttle modulation and driving. I dont know, I had pretty much made up my mind to go the alcohol route living in SoCal, it thinks its the best bang for the buck w/ a 10.5 upgrade. But a stock like turbo keeps calling. I gotta imagine that on alky, a 20G should provide 40hp up top and hopefully about the same increase in peak torque.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
trinabe,

Most of your views/opinions in your post on page 12 are just dead wrong.

First off the 20G spools just about as quickly as the stock turbo. I cannot tell a difference seat of the pants.

Second, do you have any idea how many factory productions cars were built with no BOV on them? Each one of these cars experience compressor surge every single time the throttle is closed. Most of the race cars we build here do not run any BOV and if they do they are sprung so heavily they barely work, they also surge.

I have NEVER yet seen a turbo fail from compressor surge. NEVER. So while your statements do go along with some poorly written books that are on the market about turbocharging, I do not feel they are correct.

Also, a turbo coming apart will not cause the parts from it to be ingested into the engine of an EVO. The chances of that are extremely small. If an exhaust wheel breaks it goes out the exhaust pipe. IF the compressor wheel breaks the pieces are fairly large and would have to work their way through a dense intercooler core, which I have NEVER seen happen either. The pieces will end up in the end tank of the intercooler inlet if they go anywhere.

Furthermore, the surge port does NOT bypass air behind the compressor wheel. Have you ever looked at a anti-surge housing?

Sorry I seem like I coming off so hard on you but you are wrong on all of these things. It seems as though you are attacking a great turbo, to date my personal favorite. I drive my EVO everyday and love the turbo. Just finished a 900 mile trip with it, it's awesome.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Oct 25, 2005, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Spool up is very fast trynidex, not much laggier than stock, I can't tell the difference seat of the pants in spool up.

On the highway running 80 mph (3,000 rpm) as soon as you touch the throttle the boost is at 20 psi.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Oct 25, 2005, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

BUMP - for Dave's STAGE 2 "FiX" ... looking forward to the results!!!!
Old Oct 25, 2005, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Spool up is very fast trynidex, not much laggier than stock, I can't tell the difference seat of the pants in spool up.

On the highway running 80 mph (3,000 rpm) as soon as you touch the throttle the boost is at 20 psi.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
oh i was referring to the 50trim that the guy was talkin' about... i doubt that thing is better than a 20g.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
trinabe,

First off the 20G spools just about as quickly as the stock turbo. I cannot tell a difference seat of the pants.

Second, do you have any idea how many factory productions cars were built with no BOV on them? Each one of these cars experience compressor surge every single time the throttle is closed. Most of the race cars we build here do not run any BOV and if they do they are sprung so heavily they barely work, they also surge.

I have NEVER yet seen a turbo fail from compressor surge. NEVER. So while your statements do go along with some poorly written books that are on the market about turbocharging, I do not feel they are correct.

Also, a turbo coming apart will not cause the parts from it to be ingested into the engine of an EVO. The chances of that are extremely small. If an exhaust wheel breaks it goes out the exhaust pipe. IF the compressor wheel breaks the pieces are fairly large and would have to work their way through a dense intercooler core, which I have NEVER seen happen either. The pieces will end up in the end tank of the intercooler inlet if they go anywhere.

Furthermore, the surge port does NOT bypass air behind the compressor wheel. Have you ever looked at a anti-surge housing?

Sorry I seem like I coming off so hard on you but you are wrong on all of these things. It seems as though you are attacking a great turbo, to date my personal favorite. I drive my EVO everyday and love the turbo. Just finished a 900 mile trip with it, it's awesome.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
I hadn't read this thread in a week or so and was shocked when I read all the misinformation in Trina's post. Thanks for clearing things up. BTW, you have no reason to apologize. That post was almost 100% crap.

Last edited by robertrinaustin; Oct 25, 2005 at 06:41 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
any new info dave?
Old Nov 9, 2005, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
trinabe,

never send a woman to do a mans job