Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

APS vs. HKS SSQ BOV?????

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
APS vs. HKS SSQ BOV?????

Which should i run for a bov? APS DUAL VENT I heard runs and sounds great on the evo and for the price of $210 sounds choice. But someone wants to sell me a used HKS SSQ VERSION 1 foe the evo for $150 i have researched and not many good things stated about this bov.. ANY IMPUT????
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I personally have the APS and love it, if you do go w/ the HKS are you planning on recirculating it back into the intake. That is a good BOV is you do recirculate it.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
different evo act differently with different parts. I have the SSQV for the Evo, i have no idleling problem or stalling. Rightnow i'm currently VTA, but i wil recirculate it as sonn as i find where i put my recirc kit.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

i have the HKS on my MR, it works better with later model Evo's so i would say buy HKS but you have an '03. Some people have a lot of problems w/ it b/c its a pull type valve. I've taken a ride in a '03 with the APS and it works great, its not too loud though. for you i vote APS
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Just get the APS, there is nothing but good things mentioned about it, thats why I bought it. I installed it and no problems at all, you can only hear it when you really get on it and shift at higher RPM's.... I couldn't be happier with APS.. if you get APS, Rally Sport Direct has the best price, $215 shipped I think it was....
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

The HKS was the second part I installed on my EVO, I have been re-circulating since the beginning. There have been no problems, once in a while 2 or 3 times I have stalled in a parking lot backing up. But that has been when I give it to much gas and them back right off. I am very happy with it and have to say it has a very distinct sound with my intake. The ony other one I have considered is the WORKS dual vent, i'mm sure I'll switch somw day, but I have a hard time replacing a part that works fine.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
They are very different valves, one is push the other pull. And as stated earlier, every Evo seems to react differently to BOVs. If you are going based on sounds then they are very different from each other. APS the whoosh and HKS has the screech. In the end its what ever floats your boat.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

Unless you re-circulate the HKS it sounds more like a crack or a gunshot under full boost. That is a good point though the HKS does seal with pressure, from what I have been told less chance of leakage.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Re-circulating = Wouldn't do it any other way.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

i just installed the greddy rs and i'm vta and evo runs fine... hasn't stalled or hardly stumbled... i personally think you should go with what you really want.... i know the hks kit is fairly pricy, at least from what i've seen
Old Sep 28, 2005, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Does anyone have a sound clip of the APS? I, too, am in between decisions of HKS SSQV or APS.

I've had SSQV on EVERY single car i've ever owned, its getting boring. Can someone maybe roughly explain how the APS sounds like?
Old Sep 28, 2005, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

aps sound = whooshhh.....woooshhhh....whooooooooooooooooosh...
Old Sep 28, 2005, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
APS all the way. I own a HKS SSQV on my Eclipse and the thing sounds cool, holds boost, but idle problems and surge problems (mind you this is also recirc'd). Then this is real stupid...HKS sells a little box for $139 that will take car of the surge problems. Why the hell would I spend over $200 and then by a box because your vavle is ****! The reason certain ppl don't have a problem from what I've seen is driving styles. Yes I know these are two different cars but, I've talked to ppl at HKS and they suck ***!! No customer service what so ever to put icing on the cake.

Anyway, I love the APS valve....hell I challenge you to find a bad write up. I looked for a while and never saw one.

As far as sound - It's kinda quite with the air box in...unless you get on it. Then you'll hear it.

Go with the APS, you won't regret it.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

I originally had the HKS SSQ BOV and it was robbing me of almost 60whp in 3rd gear (dyno'd)...if you get the HKS, get the generation 2 with the upper I/C piping...

I would just invest in the APS...sounds much more aggressive, holds a ton of boost, and was a direct bolt on...The HKS sounds like a turkey gobbling...think South Park thanksgiving episode were the turkeys go crazy...That's what it sounded like on my EVO VIII...
Old Sep 29, 2005, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

HEY I found they link to a sound clip for the APS

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop...ids/APSBOV.mp3

Quick Reply: APS vs. HKS SSQ BOV?????