Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Vishnu signature series exhaust problem

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2005, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quoting a friend

The weld on that particular exhaust is not MIG, it is TIG. See the tiny bead on the V band flange and the tiny bead again circulating the base of the rubber hanger mount? That's all TIG bead. I dont know why Shiv would claim it as a MIG bead when its obvisouly a TIG bead. Could it be that he didnt know the difference?

I'm a welder, a MIG welder, a TIG welder and am also actively fabricating exhaust, o2 housing, brackets, you name it. Based on my professional experience and observation, the hanger broke because of design error. Not because of driver error. If you have enough money or good enough credit history to be buying an EVO and modified it by buying Vishu products, you dont really deserved to be lied to by the shop owner on the fact that the product failed because of bad design, not driver error.

A single circular attachement from that hanger to the pipe puts all the stress on the particular joint. Good and clean design for a museum piece but not for a real world situation where a product has to be able to stand the abuse that real world situation dished out. What should have happen is there should have been an additional brace/ support bar running from the point where the hanger was bent to the pipe, this support the up and down and side to side movement better and also give more foot print between the hanger assembly and the exhaust pipe for a more rigid bond.

As EVO DP is not designed with flex section in the middle (like DSM), any movement by the engine will translate more directly to all the exhaust, and particularly to all the weld on the exhaust. I feel that particular attention to this fact is not given and customer are given a product that is ill designed and then get blamed for when something as simple (or maybe it is not so simple eh?) as exhaust hangers broke.

There is always reasoning behind why things works and why things doesnt work. I am not trying to muddy up the water here , just want to tell you why your exhaust hangers doesnt work. Its because the design sucks. Now stop blaming your customers, tell them to stop bringing their 1000+ dollar exhaust to the local muffler shop and have the muffler shop fixed the problem on that Stainless Steel exhaust with MIG welders and mild steel wire, which is going to give them rust problem in the near future. Stand behind your products Shiv, redesign that exhaust and do a free recall.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 04:27 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's actually called .040 (ish) wall thickness stainless supporting 30lbs on a 1 sq cm area. It doesn't work.

They should wrap the hanger under or over the circumference of the tube and weld it over the length of the wrap, or weld a reinforcement onto the tube prior to welding the hanger.

Last edited by Bimmubishi; Sep 29, 2005 at 04:31 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

That too
Old Sep 29, 2005, 05:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Airpoppoff
David knew there was problems, And fixed them, now he does not have that problem anymore, He also was the very first on to make an exhaust for it, usually there is a trial and error much greater with that circumstance.

RNR is ghetto, Everyone knows that, Anyone who buys RNR should know they are getting a complete pile of crap, all RNR is known for is crappy shipping times, horrible customer service, and crappy products.

I agree exactly with what you said in the 2nd paragraph.
FYI, I think people that live in Cali have reported better results than others. My RNR exhaust fits fine, makes good power, and got here in a reasonable amount of time.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

All In All, the exhaust shouldnt have broke like that.

Point #1 Exhaust Shouldnt Break at the Hangers
Point #2 If a customer has problems with a product and the company owner knows he shouldnt first put the blame on the customers driving style.
Point #3 Thats one rusty exhaust for only being on the car a max of three years.
Point #4 Shiv is the stealership of exhaust companies.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 06:10 PM

i think shiv should post in this thread, we are being civil on evom
Old Sep 29, 2005, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks again guys for all the input

Had a busy day at work so i didnt get to ring shiv up to see what they have to say

It's nice to see you guys on my side to try and get a free replacement part
Old Sep 29, 2005, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

You deserve a new full exhaust IMO
Old Sep 29, 2005, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Shiv just to let you know there is such a thing as Galant VR4, its a awd galant.

This guys claims to be the best in the business!

JRock420 honestly I would cut my losses and have the muffler shop fabricate you a QUALITY exhaust so you can enjoy the power and stopping capabilities that come from an EVO.

He claims to hand build his exhausts but then he says that all of his Signature exhaust are 100% the same and will never have defects.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jim_Patterson
Hey Shiv just to let you know there is such a thing as Galant VR4, its a awd galant.

This guys claims to be the best in the business!

JRock420 honestly I would cut my losses and have the muffler shop fabricate you a QUALITY exhaust so you can enjoy the power and stopping capabilities that come from an EVO.

He claims to hand build his exhausts but then he says that all of his Signature exhaust are 100% the same and will never have defects.
keep on posting your kind of funny to read
Old Sep 30, 2005, 08:27 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
This horse is dead and the thread closed.

jrock420,

I think you have your original question answered. This is a customer service issue between you and the vendor. Why haven't they responded?

I don't know, but maybe the original stupid comments that were deleted (not by you) and references to "stealer ship" might decrease a vendor's desire to help. If you have not, please contact the vendor. Evom vendors do respond to their customer and I would expect an explanation concerning your hanger failure from Vishnu. Thanks.

Speedlimit...
Old Oct 3, 2005, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for opening up this thread again Speedlimit. It was closed before we even saw it. Unfortunately, it may be the only way to get in touch with jrock420 regarding his hanger failure.

Jrock42-- Could you please PM me with your real name and address? We'd like to look up your info in our computers to see what you have and how we can resolve it quickly. Check your PMs, I sent you one the other day.

Regards,
Shiv