Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

interior reeks of gas!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2005, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
interior reeks of gas!?!?!

I just bought a used 04 Evo VIII. The dealership said it has a 3" downpipe on it. I know this is why I have CEL light on all the time, but is it also the reason why my cabin reeks of gas whenver the air is in? also if i stand outside my car during idle...it has a strong gas smell? what can the problem be?
Old Sep 30, 2005, 09:40 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

A downpipe isn't going to generate a CEL unless there is something TERRIBLY wrong.

Where'd you buy it from? If it's a dealership, take it back, asap. I wouldn't be driving a car reeking of gas, and throwing a code.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

sounds like a gas leak, dont smoke in it! I had a probelm in my other car and it turned out the fuel line from the tank to the engine had a rotted out gasket.... Being that it's a used car, you never know what it had done to it.... I don't think a downpipe would throw a CEL unless you removed the 02 sensors or got a test pipe without a cat.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Could be many things. I would first check your injectors to see if they are sealed and not leaking past the O-rings on the intake manifold. Also, check all of your fuel lines. If everything looks good there, pull the back seat out, remove the metal cover to the fuel pump on the driver’s side and make sure its not leaking there.

Also, look under the car and make sure you have a catalytic converter. If you do not have one the exhaust will smell like un-burnt gas. I'm thinking that this is your problem as indicated by your CEL. A down pipe alone normally will not through a code. Running Catless will through a CEL code.

Some down pipes also leak exhaust at the doughnut gasket where it attaches to the O2 housing.

Good luck.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

I bought it from a Nissan dealer, but i just got off the phone with my Mitsu dealer...and i'm taking it in later today. i'll keep you guys updated. in my old GTI, i had the same problem and it ended up being a gasket. and from the looks of it, my car doesn't have a cat...could that be the cause of the Service Engine Soon Light?
Old Sep 30, 2005, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes. Not having a cat WILL throw a code. Its code PO420 I think.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 09:51 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
my guess would be that it has a test pipe and is catless as well. people have brought up how strong the catless smell is.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 09:55 AM

oh yes the test pipe being catless will generate a strong smell. It can be very annoying at times but its well worth it. Having the smell of gas is defenitely not a good thing...downpipe smell is normal it seems.

vision
Old Sep 30, 2005, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

i have the exact prob! i am running a turbo back w/ no cat. nothing to worry about if thats the case, i'd look into getting a reflash.
. mine had a CEL as well, but i unhooked the bat cable for a few hrs when doing my gauges and it hasn't been back since.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

the smell is really strong, and during long commutes it's really bad. i ran catless on my gti and didn't have it this bad at all. would buying a high flow cat be a good idea? I also noticed that there are holes drilled on the side of the steering column for where the boost gauge used to be...could that be a possibility as to why my interior smells of gas?
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gb_junkie
I bought it from a Nissan dealer, but i just got off the phone with my Mitsu dealer...and i'm taking it in later today. i'll keep you guys updated. in my old GTI, i had the same problem and it ended up being a gasket. and from the looks of it, my car doesn't have a cat...could that be the cause of the Service Engine Soon Light?
I would call the Nissan dealer if it does not have a cat. I believe it is a violation of Federal law with very large fines if they sell you a car without a cat. They are responsible for making the car emissision compliant.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hi_nrg_fizzix
I would call the Nissan dealer if it does not have a cat. I believe it is a violation of Federal law with very large fines if they sell you a car without a cat. They are responsible for making the car emissision compliant.
+1 a strong gas smell inside the is not normal even on a catless car. i would worry aboiut carbon monoxide also if the exhaust has leaks.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 12:44 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Please take the car in for a complete exhaust check and DO NOT continue to drive. The greatest danger is the gas you cannot smell. Caron monoxide. If you start to get nauseous while driving, immediately stop the car and get out! This is not something to put off or play around with.

Have you done any work on your fuel pump?

Speedlimit....
Old Sep 30, 2005, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

my interior reeks of gas too quite often, just not gasoline
Old Oct 1, 2005, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

well i finally found some time to look at the car...and i think i found the problem. it's leaking straight gasoline where the downpipe connects to the exhaust. i'm taking it to the dealer later today, hopefully.

Quick Reply: interior reeks of gas!?!?!