Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Highly modded EVO or 00' Viper GTS?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2005, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jasil
Yes, another boring "What would you do thread?"

So, here is the question, highly modded EVO like the infamous Black "AMS" EVO as it is always called or a 00' Viper GTS?

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome and like many say EVO's get "dicks" and Vipers get "chicks". That doesn't apply to me because I am married, but the awe factor is definately there.

I drove a 00' GTS with 13K on the clock yesterday. It had K&N, smooth flow bellows, exhaust, and a 125 shot.

Except for the long hood all the "Bad interior", "Squeaky", comments you always read about on forums.....I saw none. Everywhere we went every head in every car looked at least once. The power, brakes, did I say power? Are unreal for a stock car. The owner never brought the car to the track, and he wouldn't let me press the button, but we swapped seats and he sprayed it. It felt every bit like a 130mph trapping car. The A/C worked fine in 95 degree Louisiana heat for the 2 hours we drove and sat in traffic.

As you can tell I was very impressed. From a speed standpoint trapping 130mph+ on pump gas is awesome, and of course the max factor is higher. My only gripes are the stock rims, it's a 2 seater, and the long hood.

I had a very fast RWD car, 300ZX TT that put down 460Rwhp and 484Rwtq on the dynojet dyno.

In the rain, which sometimes just happens even if it isn't in the weather forecast, my Z sucked and would try to get loose at any speed. During dry weather on the hwy or from a roll it would hang with just about anything in town. I think that my torque and horse power curves were nice for that kind of thing. But anyway I sold it because I got sick of Rwd.

The Awd/ Handling/ Braking/ Hp to Dollar and much more ensured my picking up the EVO. It is a great daily driver that can be taken to any track under any type of weather conditions and compete with cars that double and triple its original purchasing price while it is in true stock form.

As a true car enthusiats in your situation, I would buy the Evo, do a few mods and have one hell of a car(Wolf in sheeps clothing).

I just got sick of having a car that looked good but wasn't an all around performer.

My .02 cents....

-Nate
Attached Thumbnails Highly modded EVO or 00' Viper GTS?-721898_2_350.jpg   Highly modded EVO or 00' Viper GTS?-pics-060.jpg   Highly modded EVO or 00' Viper GTS?-cars-006.jpg   Highly modded EVO or 00' Viper GTS?-721898_57_350.jpg  
Old Oct 1, 2005, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

Get a price quote for insurance. My friend was going to buy a used Viper. The payment was going to be 600 dollars a month and Insurance was going to be 750 a month! For minimum requirements .I would get the Evo unless you have money too burn! My insurance is cheaper on my Evo that my 18 year old MR2.They considers the MR2 a sports car while the Evo is a sedan.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Go ahead and buy it. This way when you pull up to a stop light the hillbillies can say, "that thang got a hemi in it?"
Old Oct 2, 2005, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Insurance quotes are in and all the hoopla about high insurance rates for the Viper are not true for me.

158 per month for the EVO
209 per month for the Viper GTS
Old Oct 2, 2005, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Hey did not read the whole thread so if it was already brought up sorry but I was gonna say that the 98 has forged internals (and I think is the only year to have that) so that would be a better one to get unless price is there on the one you are looking at. Viper is a really nice car so I dont think you would be making a bad choice but the built evo is loads of fun too LOL.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 08:44 PM

OK, I'm seeing some misinformation on this thread so let me clarify some things. First of all, I have an MR and I love it to death. It is so easy to drive fast and it has 4 doors to boot. It is everything I looked for in a sports sedan and I would buy another. Now, over the last few months, I have been searching for a Viper to replace my Porsche 993, and in the process, learned a lot about the car. The generation II Vipers were produced from 1996-2002 and came in convertible (RT-10) or Coupe (GTS) versions. I opted for the GTS since I liked the styling much better and I hate verts anyway. Vipers produced from 96-99 had forged internals (pistons) whereas 00-02 were cast. 01-02 had ABS introduced so they stopped better. 2000's are considered the least desireable because they didn't have forged pistons and didn't have ABS yet.

Fast forward to yesterday: I took delivery of my 98' Viper GTS Red with Silver stripes. This thing is so different from the EVO. It certainly stands out in any crowd...be prepared to be the center of attention at every gas station, stoplight, street corner, party, etc. It's like getting keys to stardom! If you're not prepared for that, then the Viper is not for you. Also, if you don't want to be bothered with every numbskull in a Mustang or Camaro, or even a ricer, trying to race you, to see how they do against a Viper, then it's not for you. I get waaay more attention with the Viper than the Evo. As a caveat, the Viper is very easy to service on your own. I'm just a shade tree mechanic but the engine's sitting right there for you, everything is symetrical, and accesible. With another $7-10K, the 450hp/490 ft/lbs Viper can be turned into a monster. S/C or turbocharging is the way to go.

VIper fit and finish is certainly not up-to-par with the Porsche and I'd have to say that the interior quality is even less than the Evo. You'd think a supercar would have a better interior but that's where the costs were cut to make such an awesome machine affordable.

If you need a back seat, then the point is moot, get the Evo. But if you're looking for a fast, ballsy, head-turner, go with the Viper! Hope this helps.

Last edited by jdoc7; Oct 2, 2005 at 09:54 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 08:47 PM
Account Disabled

The Viper is Nice, It's refinement is POOP and handling is just terrible for what it is, but MAN that motor and the power it can make I'd still go for it, It's just a BAD A$$ head turner and is just a sick platform to work on. Get some botons, any pics???