Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

05 STi or 05 Evo Mr

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2005, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 STi or 05 Evo Mr

Hey I am new to the Evo world and am getting ready to sell my 400whp DSM and I am looking to get a STi or Evo. Everyone knows the STi has a near bullet proof clutch and tranny and if you keep the tire pressures high you wont really have any drivetrain problems. I love STi's but they are expensive to mod and if you want over 370whp it is almost imposible on pump and gets expensive. As for the Evo I dont know very much at all. I do know the 4G63 and I know they can make mid 400'swhp which is my goal I would like high 11's low 12's daily driver but can they handle the power. How is the drivetrain compared to the STi I had numerous tranny and transfer case probelms with my dsm did they solve them with the Evo. I have heard the clutches dont last but if the tranny and drivetrain will that is no problem. Also is it worth the extra for the MR. I know the wrx 5-speed is junk and the sti 6-speed is bullet proof none brocken to date does the same go with the Mr 6-speed. Also should I wait to get a 06 IX what are the improvements. Thanks sorry it is so long I just am trying to find the question to the age old question STi or Evo MR. If you think evo which evo MR, IX... so on thanks again.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

just get the 9
Old Oct 2, 2005, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
evo 9 mr
Old Oct 2, 2005, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

edit
Old Oct 2, 2005, 07:02 PM

so can anyone help me out with the drivetrain and tranny questions of how much power they can handle. Thanks
Old Oct 2, 2005, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

The stock clutch sucks if you launch it with any mods on it, but that can be fixed with a single plate or a twin plate depending on how much power you want out of it.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

My transfer case on my Evo went out and thats why I traded to a Sti... If fixes the tranny I definitely will go back to the Evo.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 07:11 PM

That is why I have been leaning towrds the STi I dont want to pay 30K for a car and then once I modify have teanfer case and tranny problems. I love Evo but I need a car with drivetrain that can handle the power they can make like the STi. Thanks
Old Oct 2, 2005, 07:12 PM

Do the 05 MR or Evo IX have the tranny/drivetrain issues problems solved.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

The concenses on this board seems to be mainly 03s having tranny problems.

If your going to choose between the Evo and STi, why not buy the 06 models ?

You can go to any car forum and find that any car has it's share of problems.

Old Oct 2, 2005, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 300zxls1
Do the 05 MR or Evo IX have the tranny/drivetrain issues problems solved.
Hard to tell since they just came out this week in the pacific coast. Both are similiar cars and pull hard *** hell.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 07:24 PM

I know every car has its problems as for the 06 models I would get a 06 evo I am just wondering if they had solved the tranny problems and if it is worth it for the Mr as for the 06 STi I think the ruined the car with the new front end I would only get a left over 05 STi. But thats just me. So if I buy a 06 IX maybe a MR can I make 450whp daily driven and just put in a new clutch and not have to worry about the tranfer case or tranny problems the older models had
Old Oct 2, 2005, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

having no transmission/diff troubles is important to you ....and you are considering a mitsubishi??

As a dsm'er you should know better.

go buy an STI
Old Oct 2, 2005, 07:39 PM

I thought that at first but everyone knows the WRX 5-speed sucks *** and look at the STi 6-speed. I thought I would just ask if Mitsu had fixed the problems with the New Mr and its 6speed but I gues it is same old same old with that. Guess I will go with the power cause I ould like to do low 12's but be reliable the 300zx with LS1 swap will be plenty fast for the track I just need something fun to daily drive. Thanks for helpin me make up my mind with the STi
Old Oct 2, 2005, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 300zxls1
Hey I am new to the Evo world and am getting ready to sell my 400whp DSM and I am looking to get a STi or Evo. Everyone knows the STi has a near bullet proof clutch and tranny and if you keep the tire pressures high you wont really have any drivetrain problems. I love STi's but they are expensive to mod and if you want over 370whp it is almost imposible on pump and gets expensive. As for the Evo I dont know very much at all. I do know the 4G63 and I know they can make mid 400'swhp which is my goal I would like high 11's low 12's daily driver but can they handle the power. How is the drivetrain compared to the STi I had numerous tranny and transfer case probelms with my dsm did they solve them with the Evo. I have heard the clutches dont last but if the tranny and drivetrain will that is no problem. Also is it worth the extra for the MR. I know the wrx 5-speed is junk and the sti 6-speed is bullet proof none brocken to date does the same go with the Mr 6-speed. Also should I wait to get a 06 IX what are the improvements. Thanks sorry it is so long I just am trying to find the question to the age old question STi or Evo MR. If you think evo which evo MR, IX... so on thanks again.
The MR 6 speed tranny have been bullet proof for a year now, not a single issue recorded yet. There are some people with 21k miles on the 6 speed MR already and no problems what so ever. Tghere are other people that have been taking the MR to the track for over 120 passes and no problems of any kind.

The same person that made over 120 passes at the trick is still with stock clutch and it puts 404whp with all the mods and runs 11.84@115.5mph.

I posted a topic about the fastet MR in the world running 9.77 putting down 715whp on the stock MR tranny.

The STI is a great choice but if you are going to get the MR just wait and get the Evo IX MR. I also had a WRX and broke the trany twice and I ended trading it for my MR.

Yes, the issue with the transfer cases was only on the first units, primarily on the 03-04 year, on the 05 the issues were addressed.

These are my choices for you:

1) Evo IX MR
2) Used or new Evo 8 MR
3) Used or new STI

As far is the question about is the MR worth the extra money, a lot of people will tell you NO, other people will tell you yes, as per the money difference the $4500 price difference is well deserved IMO.

Good luck!!

Quick Reply: 05 STi or 05 Evo Mr