Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Would "the mothership" like to respond to all these 180awhp threads??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2003, 05:13 PM
Nzo
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well then I suppose all is forgiven, but BADWRX said it best.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by rdrkt

Overhyped over priced. If you have a bottomless wallet and want to go with them that fine. But there are so many companies out there that deliver better products substantially cheaper.

Oh, OK, that's why the JUN Hyper Lemon Evo, and the JUN Hyper Lemon GDB are the 2 fastest cars on Tsukuba? That track is known worldwide as the "track" benchmark.

Jun stuff is hella expensive, but keep in mind, you get what you pay for. Japanese quality is priceless. Simply the best.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 05:19 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why do people have to come in and ruin a perfectly good thread. Please if you want to argue, you could pm, aim or start a STi vs Evo thread. We are talking about the 180hp evo here.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 05:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
GTR: My sentiments exactly.

rdrkt,

If you don't like the dyno shiv uses, then don't use it or it's figures. The thing is, all figures can be corrected to flywheel, so why fret over things?It's your perogative to not like it (Shiv's dyno), but please don't incessantly bash it.

As to your comment about drag racing being easier/cheaper, I couldn't agree more. Fast cars drag race and fast drivers autocross
Old Mar 12, 2003, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All right, I'm getting a headache here. But, correct me if I am wrong (HA, like I really have to say that around here) but there is a more reliable AWD power measuring device available that Shiv does not use, but everyone seems to dismiss it because of the stress it puts on the driveline. Well, the way I see it, someone is going to have to nut up and put his AWD car (both EVO and WRX)on this dyno to see what they really produce to put this argument to rest, there's just no other way around it. Maybe a couple of pulls won't hurt so bad, but until it is done the results could be just as bogus as the overinflated (Dynojet?) numbers. If it only proves that the test is too hard on the car, then real world acceleration numbers like 0-60 and quarter mile times are all that are left.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Wow.. its so funny how information flys around.. Its been a few days and people are already using Vishnus test as concrete evidence. I had someone post on my car the 180whp comment on onlineshowoff.com
oh well........... work is off inn a couple minutes than i get to enjoy my drive home.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 07:03 PM
Nzo
Evolving Member

Originally posted by GPTourer
All right, I'm getting a headache here. But, correct me if I am wrong (HA, like I really have to say that around here) but there is a more reliable AWD power measuring device available that Shiv does not use, but everyone seems to dismiss it because of the stress it puts on the driveline. Well, the way I see it, someone is going to have to nut up and put his AWD car (both EVO and WRX)on this dyno to see what they really produce to put this argument to rest, there's just no other way around it. Maybe a couple of pulls won't hurt so bad, but until it is done the results could be just as bogus as the overinflated (Dynojet?) numbers. If it only proves that the test is too hard on the car, then real world acceleration numbers like 0-60 and quarter mile times are all that are left.
For the 92837492837th time, changing dynos will not change the fact that there is only a 20hp difference between the wrx and the evo.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For the 92837492837th time, changing dynos will not change the fact that there is only a 20hp difference between the wrx and the evo.
And for the first time, perhaps the different dyno will react differently due to the differences between the EVO's and WRX's drivetrain.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 07:11 PM
Nzo
Evolving Member

Youre on the crazy juice my friend
Old Mar 12, 2003, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by GPTourer

And for the first time, perhaps the different dyno will react differently due to the differences between the EVO's and WRX's drivetrain.
An AWD Dynojet will induce extra driveline loss since the front and rear rollers will spin at different rates (which, as you can imagine, is bad). More heat will be generated in the center differential. Where there's heat, there is power lost. Fortunately (?), Dynojet numbers are so inflated that the final nominal wheel hp figure is still high and no one seems to care

Proper all wheel drive dynos have the ability to control front and rear roller speed (keep them within 1/2 mph of each other). This simulates a real road far better than the dynojet. As a result, it is a far more accurate representation of actual wheel hp.

Of course, they read lower so many people think they are bogus

Cheers,
shiv
www.vishnutuning.com
Old Mar 12, 2003, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

BTW, Japanese shops like the Super Autobacs use the same dyno that Shiv does. And that's the one where they get the 295-310ps figures for the Evo 7.

This may be hard for people to truly comprehend, but whatever the figures that are being posted from whatever dyno, the most important information is what difference there is between two different cars on the same dyno. The difference between two different dyno's is totally useless for information. If you don't like what Shiv is reporting, don't use it when bragging to your friends.

But understand that tuning is an art and a science, and science relies on cold, hard facts to produce results.

And I do hope this will pry some people loose from their dependence on peak hp numbers. If all that mattered was peak hp, then the RSX and S2000 would be a lot faster than they actually are.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen
Old Mar 12, 2003, 07:32 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

On the same dyno we are just competing to our base right? The JDM EVO 7 has a lot more power than our 8 so lets focus to find where they hide all of the hp?

Shiv has a very nice dyno. It is actually a lot more accurate than a dynojet and i'm glad he has dynoed our cars for us. I just want to comment flywheel hp doesn't mean crap if not delivered. Wheel hp is where we should have our interest.
Now we should just compare our base 180-188hp to tweaked evos. Nothing could simulate the actual hp because our cars are intercooled but as long as we could pull the same #'s as the JDM car we will have an ideal of our power level

We know our cars probably run 13.5-13.8 so more hp #'s on shivs dyno means better times. I remember shiv also mentioned he gained 30 WHP just from tweaking! I don't know if that means 210 or 218 but that a step closer to the JDM evo 7.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Nzo
And that doesn't change the fact that an Evo will blow a WRX into the weeds. 7mph in the 1/4 is nothing to sneeze at, and it isn't something that 20hp is going to get you when your car weighs 150lbs more than your competition.

Get the car dynoed with better gas, and with more miles before jumping to the conclusions that you seem to have already jumped to.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 08:40 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Someone needs to put a WRX on this dyno and see what numbers it gives:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=16352
Old Mar 12, 2003, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by RaX
Someone needs to put a WRX on this dyno and see what numbers it gives:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=16352
Probably 238hp - 20hp = 218hp. Because the Evo only makes 20hp more than a WRX. Riiiiiight.

Quick Reply: Would "the mothership" like to respond to all these 180awhp threads??