Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Would "the mothership" like to respond to all these 180awhp threads??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2003, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm one of the 4

My Lancer was one of the 4 that Shiv dynoed. Now until I got an email from buddy telling me about Shiv tuning and possibly making parts for the car, I had never heard of Shiv or Vishnu. But I still drove the 100 miles because I was curious what the car would put down as well as see what this Shiv guy is about.

Other than scaring the **** out of me on a test drive, I think Shiv is a pretty nice guy. I was bummed about the power put down, but I know the capability of the 4G63 as I have owned/own 2 other AWD DSM's. I myself was impressed with the quality of the parts being produced by Vishnu. Although he is a businessman, I don't think he's trying to make a quick buck or take advantage of anyone or the situation for that matter. When I asked him about his stage kits, he said he wouldn't have anything like a stage 3 kit for 2 years. Nor we he even take a deposit on one.

I am pretty loyal to a couple of DSM tuners/shops. RRE and Forced Performance for the most part. RRE is building me a 9.xx drag car as we speak (well 9.xx if I can drive it . I am taking my EVO down to RRE the week of the 21-29 for them to do some prototyping, etc.

My take on the whole Vishnu/Shiv situation is this. The guy wants to help the DSM community by offering his parts and services. He's not here to hurt us or make a quick killing. He has not released dyno plots, extensive data for one reason. He wants to make sure what he does release is accurate and not half-assed. He doesn't seem like the type of guy to do anything half assed. So try and sit back, relax, and let him compile his data, he'll share with us when he's ready.

Shawn Glass
92 Talon TSi
03 Lancer EVO
Old Mar 13, 2003, 03:01 PM

Re: I'm one of the 4

Originally posted by Shawn Glass
My take on the whole Vishnu/Shiv situation is this. The guy wants to help the DSM community by offering his parts and services. He's not here to hurt us or make a quick killing. He has not released dyno plots, extensive data for one reason. He wants to make sure what he does release is accurate and not half-assed. He doesn't seem like the type of guy to do anything half assed. So try and sit back, relax, and let him compile his data, he'll share with us when he's ready.

Shawn Glass
92 Talon TSi
03 Lancer EVO
that pretty much sum's it up..........
Old Mar 13, 2003, 03:09 PM
Nzo
Evolving Member

Finally someone talking some sense.
Old Mar 13, 2003, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Still a wrx makes only 20 less whp than a evo8 on the same dyno?

That dosnt sound right.

Plus he has an extra 30 hp out of the car, but isnt saying how?

I smell snake oil here.......... remember the world goes around by the all mighty $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
And this guy is a business man.
buyer/reader beware.
FYI my evo 8 is fast enough for me to get into all the trouble i need.
Old Mar 13, 2003, 03:57 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally posted by silvrevo
Still a wrx makes only 20 less whp than a evo8 on the same dyno?

That dosnt sound right.

Plus he has an extra 30 hp out of the car, but isnt saying how?

I smell snake oil here.......... remember the world goes around by the all mighty $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
And this guy is a business man.
buyer/reader beware.
FYI my evo 8 is fast enough for me to get into all the trouble i need.
Butt dyno, real dyno, or drag times?
Old Mar 13, 2003, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea Im waiting for Buschur to get his hands on it. And the peeps at RRE. I rode in one of the RRE cars when I was down in Santa Monica for a while. I met up with a guy that worked at RRE, he took me out for several kill in his 1G talon, and let me tell you, the Frank turbo he has on it pulls harder than my 2G. His car literally scared the **** out of me..
Old Mar 13, 2003, 05:57 PM
In Timeout

Originally posted by Hor
Who needs a dyno to hit measly 12s or 13s.
who needs a measly dyno for tuning? people who want to continue to drive their car for more than a few years before having to rebuild or replace the engine..
--bobby
Old Mar 13, 2003, 06:00 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally posted by boostedwrx
Yea Im waiting for Buschur to get his hands on it. And the peeps at RRE. I rode in one of the RRE cars when I was down in Santa Monica for a while. I met up with a guy that worked at RRE, he took me out for several kill in his 1G talon, and let me tell you, the Frank turbo he has on it pulls harder than my 2G. His car literally scared the **** out of me..
Buschur was supposed to get their car on Tuesday, but the weather (ice storm) delayed the happy event. Supposedly the dealership wanted Dave to take a "road trip" with the salemen to ensure he understood how tricky a high performance car can be!
Apparently he got out of it. Would'nt you love to have been along for that road test?
Old Mar 13, 2003, 06:06 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've tried emailing buscher racing. Their customer service doesn't seem very good. Online anyways

I wonder why they havent' posted yet? Are they even interested in the evo? My #1 tuner would of course be ralliart aka mitsubishi.

Hurry up dave We need HP!!!!!
Old Mar 13, 2003, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Odd - somebody that's much larger than any of the American tuners, has been around longer, and builds their own damned turbo's, dyno tunes. AVOturbo of Australia.

If *all* you are doing is trying to win a drag race for as cheap as possible, rolling your own is fine. But I've driven a car that was simply butt-tuned vs. it run on the Dyno in Ross's hands. Not only peak power went up, but most importantly, overall power went up everywhere, and was much more stable and smooth. No hiccups, no stumbling, no crap.

You want to swing your ***** around and act like the shiznit, fine. But I've seen that act from LS1 owners, Mustang owners, Cavalier owners, Honda owners and every other knob on the street. It's one of the reasons I dislike quarter-mile tools so much - the assumption that one's driving life has to rotate around it with every other aspect of tuning and driveability discarded nauseates me.

And lay off with the personal insults and attacks on Shiv, or anybody else on this board that bothers to post useful information, even if you don't like it. If you really have *****, go and do it to their face, but don't do it here.

No Cheers this time,

Paul Hansen
Old Mar 13, 2003, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by BobbyD

who needs a measly dyno for tuning? people who want to continue to drive their car for more than a few years before having to rebuild or replace the engine..
--bobby

My car is 6 years old. I've never holed a piston. I've never bent a rod. I've never once dynoed my car. I tune my car at the track and on the street with a laptop.
Old Mar 13, 2003, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by shirokuma
If *all* you are doing is trying to win a drag race for as cheap as possible, rolling your own is fine. But I've driven a car that was simply butt-tuned vs. it run on the Dyno in Ross's hands. Not only peak power went up, but most importantly, overall power went up everywhere, and was much more stable and smooth. No hiccups, no stumbling, no crap.
Paul, if you ever make it to Massachusetts, look me up. You are more than welcome to take a spin in my car. No hiccups, no stumbling, no crap.

It does take good tuning knowledge to do. But it isn't out of the grasp of anyone, unless you are unwilling to learn. How do you think these "reputable" well-known tuners started out? Hmmmm?
Old Mar 13, 2003, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Josh, I honestly don't disagree that you know what you are doing. And I do agree that is where tuners come from. But if everybody was going to be so darned good at it, why aren't there more tuners?

Also, I'd like to point out that while your car does run great, works great, doesn't spit pistons through the 747 flying overhead, you don't have any idea if it's running at it's best. There's no way around it, a dyno is the only way to get hard numbers and figure out what works best everywhere.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen
Old Mar 13, 2003, 07:42 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
I agree with Paul and Jacob. This thread and to some extent this forum is beginning to become useless and it is a shame. We have EVO enthusiast coming from Subaru’s, Neon’s’, BMW’s, Audi’s and around the world with tons of automotive knowledge. The EVO is new to us and there are OZ and UK turners who can provide us with wonderful insight but they remain silent. Why? Because it is not worth the stupid, immature crap you get from a minority of posters.

A forum is a public meeting place for open discussion. 'Open' does not connote disrespectful and disparaging comments about persons nor does it mean vulgarities and other uncouth expressions of personal perspective, nor the license to say what one pleases. 'Discussion' happens here, i.e. consideration of questions in an informal debate. In the context of a forum, rules are established for the common good so selfishness and unaccountable opinion don't choke meaningful exchange and informative processes.

A FEW knuckleheads with the typical “in your face” approach are making it impossible to talk about anything and I am tired of it. This forum should be reserved for auto enthusiast who wants to learn and share experiences. Who feel they can ask a question, post a result and not have some kid call them a ***. BatmanGSX you owe that man an apology. Welcome to the world of grownups. Those that are not interested in that should take a hike.

Speedlimit..........
Old Mar 13, 2003, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by shirokuma
Josh, I honestly don't disagree that you know what you are doing. And I do agree that is where tuners come from. But if everybody was going to be so darned good at it, why aren't there more tuners?

Also, I'd like to point out that while your car does run great, works great, doesn't spit pistons through the 747 flying overhead, you don't have any idea if it's running at it's best. There's no way around it, a dyno is the only way to get hard numbers and figure out what works best everywhere.
Frankly, I've made enough power on pump gas to break two transmissions (ok, one transmission multiple times). I'm not searching for any more power on pump gas.

On race fuel, I'm alwasy searching for more power. And I do feel that I have extracted about the most out of my car in terms of horsepower as I can in its current form. Next up is a set of cams, an exhaust cut-out, a water sprayer for the intercooler (the evo does it, why not me?). Relatively minor things. But I can at least measure against the tons of people who have done the same thing before me. For my turbo, the best I can probably hope for on race gas and with the cams is 116mph in the 1/4. For what I have now, the car is running pretty damn well.

Quick Reply: Would "the mothership" like to respond to all these 180awhp threads??