Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

installing exhaust...need a little help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2005, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing exhaust...need a little help

I'm installing the RS*R ExMag in my garage right now. I'm having a tough time getting the stock setup off though. The biggest problem is that I can't seem to get the muffler off that rubber hanger next to the right rear wheel. Any tips? It's soaked in WD40 right now but it doesn't wanna budge. The other thing I'm wondering is how do I get that 02 sensor thing (or whatever it is) out of the exhaust pipe. Can I just grip it and rip it or is it a sorta delicate part?
Old Oct 3, 2005, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

use wd40 and chanel locks. for the rubber holders and as for the o2 sensor, us the correct open end wrench and use a larger wrench to tap on the othr wrench. good luck.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by savageevo
use wd40 and chanel locks. for the rubber holders and as for the o2 sensor, us the correct open end wrench and use a larger wrench to tap on the othr wrench. good luck.
What are channel locks? Are they like vice grips? I can figure out the bolts at the cat and the o2 sensor, but this exhaust hanger is not coming off and I'm losing patience. Help.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

channel locks:

or find someone with a press. i bought a one ton press from harbor freight for $45. It is small enough to use under the car to press out the hanger. i had to do this on my friends exhuast.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

it was a toughy but i heated it and rubbed ky jelly on and it slipped right off!
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys...once I pulled out the vice grips for the o2 sensor it occured to me that I didn't have the tools and would probably be regretting something I did tomorrow. I'll take it to an exhaust shop and pay the $50. It's an Evo, not a Honda.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Stick a screwdriver under the rubber piece a small one and then pry it off with that, like push the rubber piece off, it will stretch and wont break, thats if ur talking about the back one on top behind the tire.. Thats how i did mine oh and if your doing a full turbo back dont seperate the exhaust just drop everything by unbolting the downpipe and unhooking o2 sensor and the brackets, its a lot easier to just slide the whole thing out of the back of the car... GOOD Luck with the new exhaust
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

If u already have half of it off dont give up now its about 30 minutes to put all the new things back on, use some thread locking thing on the bolts for the downpipe if u changing that.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 7for8
it was a toughy but i heated it and rubbed ky jelly on and it slipped right off!
heated it... rubbed KY Jelly on... whoa! back up... we are still talking about your exhaust hangers right?!

i have to admit, KY jelly is the last thing i would have thought of. Do you normally keep that in your garage? jk
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

I got the hangers all off eventually but I didn't have a 22mm for the o2 sensor. I was gonna mess that thing up with vice grips so I said fugit. A man's got to know his limitations. I was born with 2 left hands.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

There is a tool for everything: I have a Snap On 02 sensor socket. for a few bucks, i don't have to worry about rounded edges from a open ended wrench whenever i replace my wideband 02 sensor. Also, Blue Point Tools makes exhaust hanger removal pliers.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AWDrift07
heated it... rubbed KY Jelly on... whoa! back up... we are still talking about your exhaust hangers right?!

i have to admit, KY jelly is the last thing i would have thought of. Do you normally keep that in your garage? jk
buddy, i keep that in my center console!
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

KY works great, so does Astroglide, trust me. Yes, I am talking for use on the rubber hangers.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Scoot
KY works great, so does Astroglide, trust me. Yes, I am talking for use on the rubber hangers.
i'm glad someone agrees w/ me. For a second there i thought i was crazy.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

i'll admit it i've used vaseline to get car parts unstuck. but thats as far as i will go!

Quick Reply: installing exhaust...need a little help