Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sleepers ????

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2005, 12:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is a sleeper, http://forums.stangnet.com/showthrea...77#post5546477

=D
Old Oct 5, 2005, 12:41 AM

The VW R32 is a great sleeper. I almost went with that car instead of the Evo. Take off the r32 emblems and wheels, switch it out with the stuff from a GTi 1.8t, Then put in a turbo. When they hear the turbo blow-off they'll just think you put a loud BOV on your 1.8t.
Too bad they only made it for one year in the US. Not enough parts, used price has skyrocketted, and the AWD system is a big worry.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 12:53 AM

Yeah that Focus is a sleeper. There's countless possible sleeper combinations, all it takes is imagination. Well, that and a bunch of money, time, effort, planning and dedication.

It does seem like a lot of people are going for a more sleeper theme with their EVOs. This makes me happy. With a few miscreants going with a more, dare i say, flashy JDM look. I have yet to really see an EVO that was butchered to the point of being totally stupid. My theory is, the car is simply priced out of reach of complete retards for the time being.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 01:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by undrcroft
The VW R32 is a great sleeper. and the AWD system is a big worry.

Uhh you DO know that the R32 drivetrain is a MONSTER. That thing can take 550ft. lbs of torque on the stock tranny/diff. Check out vwvortex...
Old Oct 5, 2005, 01:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stvbreal
That AMS Evo needs to lose the wing to be a sleeper.

This is a sleeper. Plain Jane with nothing special.

I wouldn't call that a sleeper, look at that exhaust.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

I agree with most that say the Evo cant be a sleeper. Only to people locked in basements and those stuck on the V8 cloud 9.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

<---shep's 7sec car
Old Oct 5, 2005, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

I've been thinking about painting my car that gold/tan/beige color that the GT-A came in overseas. De-winged, black calipers, black fmic, etc.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

OMFG!!! The ULTIMATE sl33p3r:

Old Oct 5, 2005, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Regardless of how far you take the sleeper concept (my car is all stock looking until you poke a bit - only slightly lowered but the 4 point harnesses are a clue..) it goes right out the window if you're running really agressive cams. Even with the idle tuned to be as sedate as possible my car hunts, lopes, and just plain rumbles enough that it turns heads at idle.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No,no, no ...

On the contrary to wha most of you think i completly think tha the EVO can be "suspended" (if you would ) in a sleeper fashion. Throw out your option of getting rid if your spoiler, most Tuners ( and i say Tuners because our community are not "ricer", "rice rockets" , or "econobox loser" along with all the other derogatory comments made about our passion) instinctivly know that regarless of your spoilerless vehicle , for God sakes its an EVO. It brings with it an amount of reverance that assist the young "johnny on-the-spot" to the next stop light that four doors doesn't condone disrespect. In my opinion keep the wing , the lack there of just implies a hidden secret. Get rims, get that ehaust . The primed responce by most of us when we see a little honda is a pat on the head to the driver and a patrinizing smile as to say " your not on my plateau little guy but keep going". Tat is what needs to be seen with sleepers. It came with the wing stock so leave it. If you want rims , gettem. Most american teenagers spend thousands of dolars on rims that cost half the price of the car but we stll look at those individuals and say to ourselves "nice rims, but he's al show!". The key to a good sleeper is the ability o leave your vehicle the way you got it from the dealer, in tact. With that being said though mod what they can't see. Hit your engine bays hard switch that LSD to an RS LSD its ok to have a nice shinney intercooler (unless your losing they won't see it ). Tune your suspension, i would say that is the basis to a good machine. So what have we learned about sleepers from good old uncle Aux. ??? Most american (we'll call them wannabes) lower their cars put huge exhausts on them and have rims . Its a primed responce from the generation,so let your naught bits hang out , as long as thats all they see... they'll never see the rest coming. Let her be that librarian, she looks like she could be hot... but you'll never know till its time for action. Oh and big props to all my fellow Aircraft/Flghtline maintainers you guys have some of the best petential i know of to be some of the best mechanics.

Oh and P.S. an substance that blocks the release of heat by convection (ie... spraypainting your intercooler) is added heat because now not only does ambient air have to cool off the charged air, but also the paint . No matter how thin the layer may be.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Aux.
Oh and P.S. an substance that blocks the release of heat by convection (ie... spraypainting your intercooler) is added heat because now not only does ambient air have to cool off the charged air, but also the paint . No matter how thin the layer may be.
What type of thermometer are you using that you will be able to tell the temperature difference between a naked intercooler and one with a .2mm coating of paint? It sounds like a great arguement on the internet based off of absolute truths, but in reality the effect on the performance of the intercooler is negligible.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

i think the whole sleeper metality is stupid, the only way it can be a sleeper is if you dont expect it to be quick. I have friends with modded sti's that are scared of my car, and it is damn near stock, I know better but they still think it is fast as ****. I think everyone knows that the EVO is quick, if they dont that all goes out the window if you start instigating a race, and then wait when the bottle fed spec v blows you up becasue you thought you were a "sleeper" all that means is asleep at the wheel.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

I kind of agree... I sort of like driving down the road and people know not to mess with me...
Old Oct 5, 2005, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

I think you overestimate the intelligence of some of the people on the road, lookEVO. The only people I can get to race me around here are lightly "modded" civics, integras, etc. that don't know enough about their own car much less cars in general to know that my car's not fast. Often I can't even talk some of the cars out here that are actually quick into racing, b/c they think my car is something it's not. a couple weekends ago, at a stoplight, I had a guy ask me if my car was an Evo 7...I just shook my head and laughed. Maybe it's just the area, i dunno, but some ppl are morons...