Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sleepers ????

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by navysevo
i work on f-14's and f-18 super hornets as an AV1. ben doing it for 6 years.
dude thats just awesome, i always wanted a chance to be close to a f14 and a f18..the closest thing im ever gonna be to those is when i start flyin 737`s, itll be a great change from proppellers to turbines
Old Oct 6, 2005, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess. I don't see the point in putting decals all over your car to advertise how "fast your car is" . Or using aerodynamic products that don't come into drive play till after 150mph, but thats cool. Sleepers keep building , if you don't get the point behind a sleeper then make your car look like a cereal box toy or...keep dreaming.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 01:54 PM

My motivation to build a sleeper is to avoid attention from the cops. Thats it. After being pulled over at least a dozen times for speeding, tickets for street racing, no front plate, etc etc.. I'm just sick of getting harassed by cops.

After you get your car pulled over and get a dozen of so tickets for illegal modifications by some ******* cop, you'll want to build a sleeper too.

That's why I like sleepers and why I encourage people to build them.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

^ good point. the wing and stuff definitely make cops take a closer look and maybe look a little harder for a reason to pull you over...
Old Oct 6, 2005, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
God knows i get the lazzzzzzzzzzzy eye from the 5 0 whenever i go cruising . Plus i love the stock look of the EVO . The old muscle cars back in the day never put all those extra accoutrments in them anyway. People still revere them to this day .
Old Oct 6, 2005, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

cough cough

Old Oct 6, 2005, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

the wing definately gives it away. if you would only know how many times ive been asked if thats a real evo. its most certainly b/c there are a lot less rs models then gsrs and mrs, so no one sees wingless evos on the road. in chicago i know of 2 more rs models and one evo with the small spoiler form a ralli art. all 40+ others have the wing. that is why i hardly get raced. i got 22k and have gotten into to it with like 8 cars, 3 were mitsus, 2 srts, 2 vettes, 1 firehawk all on the highway. while i've seen about 1000 modded cars. plus my exhaust is not angled and looks and sounds just like stock untill you hit 4-5k. i do have the side air deflectors that i see very often on lancers, but never on an evo (in person 1 on here). plus all of gauges are in the glove box or cubby hole so you don't see em. so i think my rs is a sleeper.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 03:43 PM

I think the RS with no-wing is as close to a sleeper EVO as you can get. The intercooler is a bit of a tell.....maybe paint it black.....
Old Oct 6, 2005, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

A sleeper Evo was probably only possible back in 03 when they first came out imo. Those were the days... clueless drivers lining up next to you, ready to smoke your riced out "lancer es." Oh you didnt know it was a turbocharged awd car? Aww! Your bad! I still remember all the shocked, sad little faces. At the track only of course...

This has been discussed before, the general consensus was that if you don't like the attention, get a new car. The wing and front bumper/air dam are functional, why remove them? The Evo isn't a fast looking car to the average person. Its a boxy 4 door. This goes against most peoples notion of a typical sports car. However it is true that the average car guy and the police sometimes, have some idea of the stock Evo's capabilities.

My random ideas for a straight line sleeper because i'm bored: throw a built Evo drivetrain into a Lancer ES shell with full interior. I guess you could use the Evo suspension too if it fits. hey, this is my crazy fanatasy and money is no object, so we could fab some pieces to make it work. Here's why it is for straight lines only: Keep everything else Lancer ES stock including the brakes and rims. Wow, that would be fun to stop from 120+! Fried pads and rotors anyone? better install a hidden parachute! Use some wider than stock grippier performance tires they'd be hard to spot and you need to hook up. Fab the exhaust to run through the stock Lancer ES exhaust but have a cut out for when racing. A waste of money and energy? YES! A fun project? sure to me it would be. will it ever happen? dont look at me

Painting the front of the intercooler black does not affect the heat exchange efficiency of the intercooler. The actual total surface area of the intercooler is huge. Painting the front of the intercooler covers a minute area of the total area of the intercooler. Most of the heat is exchanged in between the vanes where most of the surface area is, not on the front of the intercooler. Besides, the amount of heat that is exchanged through the paint is still high. unless you apply multiple coats of ceramic paint.

The problem with the sleeper idea is that eventually it is going to get around that there is a stock looking (insert color) lancer es or whatever car that can run (insert a fast quarter mile time).
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

One more thing, if you're planning to paint the IC, paint the Brembos as well. Flat black paint would be probably the best choice
Old Oct 7, 2005, 12:17 AM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I keep my original 03 EVO with AVO exhaust looks stock and quiet. But under the hood is GT35r with all the mods. I'm only want to surprise cars that think can beat the EVO, ie. C5 Z06, Cobra, M3, E55... and at the drag I did surprised some muscle cars and Cobra/Mach1. I don't want they mistaken that they got beat by a Lancer or some souped-up 4-door but an EVO.

I love the EVO the way it is when buying it and I'll not alter its look. Period.

Last edited by G20; Oct 7, 2005 at 12:20 AM.