Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Installing vortex generator - tips?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2005, 02:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Installing vortex generator - tips?

Just got my vortex generator from Japan. Instructions are all in Japanese. Not helpful.

Im sure a retarded monkey could install it - but any tips? Im worried about breaking the weather strip clips in particular.

Thanks
Old Oct 6, 2005, 03:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just be careful when pulling up the weather strips, i snapped some of the clips on the passenger side weather strips..

Everything else should be cake.

Also, if you mix 30% rubbing alcohol with 70% water, spray the solution onto your roof that way you can move the vortex generator around until you get it just right wihtout it keep sticking.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally wouldn't use rubbing alcohol on paint, a mix of soap and water is better.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

Use a panel remover to pull up the weather strip. Helps save those pesky little clips.

Wipe the roof with a mix of water and rubbing alcohol. All the miz will do is remove the layer of wax buildup on the paint.

Test fit it , test fit it and test fit it again before you pull the cover from the doublesided tape.

Slit the tape in the middle so you have two strips on top and two on the bottom that pull toward the doors.

Press down on the VG when you finally pull the tape cover.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Got it went on perfectly

Much easier than i thought.

Popped open the trunk and using my fingers gently torqued the weather strip so that the base twisted towards the outside the car. It went pop pop pop pop all in a nice row. Helped also to slide a piece of carboard up under the strip to stop it popping back into place.

Positioned the vortex generator, stripped out the tape and popped the strip back into place. Had to hit it a few times with my fist to get it to click in.

No worries.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Say, did you happen to get a body matching color? I was thinking about the red one, but I'm not sure how that would look, red on red, because I haven't seen it.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

This what you mean?
Originally Posted by coffeeslug
Say, did you happen to get a body matching color? I was thinking about the red one, but I'm not sure how that would look, red on red, because I haven't seen it.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, that's it. Thanks for the pic. I definitely think that looks better than carbon fiber or gray. Mitsubishiparts.net has them for 177.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by coffeeslug
Yeah, that's it. Thanks for the pic. I definitely think that looks better than carbon fiber or gray. Mitsubishiparts.net has them for 177.
I like the color matching better as well.

That car looks
Old Jan 25, 2006, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Did any of you have a problem with the weather stripping around the antenna base? My vortex won't fit since the center fin won't sit flush over this piece. Do you guys remove yours or do something else?
Old Jan 25, 2006, 06:49 PM
Account Disabled

no gap at all? u have the IX rite ?
Old Jan 26, 2006, 12:35 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, I have a IX. The threads for the antenna sit flush where they need to be, but the fit just doesn't seem wide enough to accomodate the center fin with the weather stripping still intact. I'm sure if I pull hard enough, I could remove it, but that would be bad I would think since when it rains it would seep into the cabin.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Can anybody with a vortex generator tell me if yours fit on top of the antenna base with no modification? I'm thinking mine won't because I bought a knockoff on ebay, lol. But I'm wondering if removing the center weather strip will cause problems.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 04:12 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by silex
Yes, I have a IX. The threads for the antenna sit flush where they need to be, but the fit just doesn't seem wide enough to accomodate the center fin with the weather stripping still intact. I'm sure if I pull hard enough, I could remove it, but that would be bad I would think since when it rains it would seep into the cabin.
i don't have problem with the center, it seem to be a perfect fits.. but ya like u said, not wide enough and with gaps on the side... kinda gay.. ppl were saying u can clickin the VG on both side, i didnt , i just fit it over and have the weather strip click in the VG on top of it...
Old Jan 27, 2006, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Are you referring to the weather strip on the sides that help hold it down or to the center fin where the antenna is mounted through? I don't want to rip up the center antenna base stripping unless I know it's the best thing to do.

Quick Reply: Installing vortex generator - tips?