Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Traded the Evo for a ES.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2005, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traded the Evo for a ES.

Well just for today and tomorrow. I was coming home from work and wanted to see if I can launch my car. Well, wasnt so good. What I did was I slowly let the clutch out at a stop sign to see where it actually grabs. Got the feel for it and rev'd to about 3k. Once I released the clutch the car grabed but didnt accelerate extremley fast, I was like what the. I mean it had little ***** but didnt feel right. Then it came, this nasty smell, a mixture of rotten egg and roasted clutch. I was freakin out and extremley nervous. I remember I shifted about 7100 rpm hit second brought it up to about 5k and left off. Since im freaking out figured, alright baby it all the way home and check it out. Then I noticed every time I shifted in stop and go traffic that smell came back. Pulled over on the side of the highway popped the hood. Now, I'm not sure exactly but I swore I seen very very light smoke coming from either the manifold or in that general area. I can say sometimes when I'm freaking out I always think the worst especially when cars are involved. Got home parked the car let it cool off then checked the oil, looks good on the dip stick. However, since the car only has about 1100 miles it has a slight discoloration to it very light white was in it. Went inside freaked out a little bit more (2hours) then went back out side. The car has a very fast tick to it. Now, I'm not sure if this is normal or not thought it could be a noisy lifter. Took the car for a drive brought it up in RPM's and it feels alittle slow. God I hate over reacting. Got my gf in the car she said it sounds fine. Went to get some gas popped the hood again checked the oil looks good but still has a weird smell to the engine. Well to shorten this down brought it to mitsu got a rental and my car will be looked at tomorrow. Help me, what should I have them check? Is it possible I hurt the engine internally? Should I have them to a comp check?
Old Oct 6, 2005, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

relax dude.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dr. SS
relax dude.
Really I think I should!
Old Oct 6, 2005, 07:13 PM
Former Vendor

You are probably over reacting because its such a new car. Sounds to me you just roasted the clutch a little bit and sometimes it takes a while for the smell to go away, all the other stuff was just in your head, with exception to the smoke which could have come from the clutch. Doubt you killed the clutch, the dealer will let you know for sure.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PURE MR
You are probably over reacting because its such a new car. Sounds to me you just roasted the clutch a little bit and sometimes it takes a while for the smell to go away, all the other stuff was just in your head, with exception to the smoke which could have come from the clutch. Doubt you killed the clutch, the dealer will let you know for sure.
Just out of curiosity do they actually need to take the clutch out and inspect it?
Old Oct 6, 2005, 07:15 PM

2005 had a coolant leak recall. Mine had it. I dont know if thats youre problem, but you can smell the coolant on the manifold if it leaks right. They also said it has the potnetial to start a fire (although very unlikey to actually happen.) I had mine fixed and has been fine.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

you glazed the clutch a bit probably and it takes a little bit for the glaze to go away
Old Oct 6, 2005, 07:17 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Dan2510
Just out of curiosity do they actually need to take the clutch out and inspect it?
No, I doubt they will cover the clutch if it went bad anyways, its a wearable part....I could be wrong though.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 07:17 PM

Don't worry about the smell. The clutch on the Lancer ES is stronger than the Evo clutch.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Just curious but whats up with the Title of this thread?
Old Oct 6, 2005, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 05WhiteEVO8
Just curious but whats up with the Title of this thread?
Just trying to joke around since I was freaking. They gave me a Lancer ES for my loaner car. I keep feeling for the clutch.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

You roasted yor clutch dude. Be prepared to spend some loot, warranty does not cover clutch.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PURE MR
No, I doubt they will cover the clutch if it went bad anyways, its a wearable part....I could be wrong though.
If not I will just upgrade to a better one..But I would think since it only has a little over 1k mileage, you never know though.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WrX Kila
You roasted yor clutch dude. Be prepared to spend some loot, warranty does not cover clutch.
Loot isnt a issue just worried I messed something else up. I read about the clutches sucking anyways just a good excuse to upgrade now I guess.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Just got my car back everything is good. They informed me that there is NO warranty on the clutch however, they will install a aftermarket one. Service manager also mentioned that my aftermarket clutch will NOT void any other drivetrain warranties. Furthermore, any repair done to my (any EVO) car that is 500 bucks or more they need to get approval from a district service manager. He said the DSM is pretty good about exhaust and intake but a BOV will void warranty. All in all the smell that I was getting was sealant they put on the parts of the engine supposably..Oh and they said the tick is normal.