Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Thinking of buying an Evo, question (About Maintenance)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2005, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thinking of buying an Evo, question (About Maintenance)

All these people on another board I post on, a general car board, keep saying how expensive maintenance is on the evolution. I thought i'd ask the forum that would really know =P

So how much would I expect to pay on average from the time I bought it new to about 5 years/50,000 miles?

Note: I can replace break pads myself(at least on every car i've ever done them on), also fluids(break fluid, windsheild wiper fluid, blah blah) and I can also change the oil and all that too. Also would doing these things myself void any warrenty?

So I'm guessing in the end i'd like to know how much break pads, fluids, oil, tuneups(done at mitsubishi I guess) and all that would cost from 0-50,000 miles

Thanks guys, I hope this turns out to be my first post of many
Old Oct 6, 2005, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

02 wrangler, 4.0 inline six, one of the most reliable engine ever. personally seen them do 250,000 miles plus no problem. the evo is a high performance car. gas, clutches, oil, brake pads, tires ect are a lot more expensive than your jeep but if you can afford an evo, odds are you'll be alright with all the expenses that come with it. dont let it stop you from buying one. sorry i cant give you exact numbers... doubt anyone else will either. there are a thousand threads on maintenance, use the search
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:16 PM
CDO
Evolving Member

This is from Road&Track's 50,000 mile report (The formatting didn't hold up. Sorry.)

Delivered price$30,062Resale value at end of test
(wholesale price from Kelley Blue Book)$25,300Deduction for mileage
(Kelley Blue Book)
$5261Total resale value$20,039Total miles covered in test49,419Miles since last report157Average miles per gal.19.1Costs, Overall & Per MileDepreciation, 578 days$4762Mileage deduction$5261Gasoline2567 gal. @ $5601Oil6 qt. @ $30Routine maintenance$5872Six Michelin Pilot A/S tires$1667Overall cost for 49,419 miles$21,526Cost per mile44¢Average cost per mile
long-term test

(since March 1997)40¢Repairs and ReplacementsNormal/routineSeven services and oil changes ($800), 16 Yokohama A-046 Advan tires, two 4-wheel brake jobs ($1373).RepairsReplaced intercooler sprayer switch (under warranty).Unforeseen eventsReplaced two cracked windshields ($444). Alcan Rally damage: replaced two front axle cross bars and left front strut and strut insulator ($601), 4-wheel alignment ($49), replaced front spoiler, front bumper clip and various shields and covers ($1342).*Road & Track's Fuel Economy RatingPoorless than 17 mpgAverage17 to 27 mpgExcellentmore than 27 mpgAside from those minor worries, the other downside to the Evo is that it's a rather expensive car to maintain. The grippy, near-R-compound Yokohama A-046 Advan tires are the main culprits, withdrawing $848 (plus mounting and balancing) like clockwork from the rapidly diminishing R&T bank account every 10,000 miles. Tack on the $973 4-wheel brake jobs (our Mitsubishi dealer charged us only $400 for the first brake job, somehow unaware of the true prices of the brake pads — $250 for the fronts alone) and you start to understand that a big part of the reason the Evo performs so well stock is because Mitsubishi fitted the car with high-quality performance pieces. If you want to maintain that performance, you're going to have to spend some money.
From a cost of ownership standpoint, the Evo is far from the cheapest car we've tested long-term, but neither is it the most expensive. On the plus side it holds its value extremely well, but at the same time its cost-per-mile of 44 cents was just one cent shy of receiving a "poor" rating according to our standards.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah it would be less for me i think since they had mitsubishi do most of it. I can do all my own stuff, and the windsheild thing, my dad has like 70k on his truck with the same windsheild, and for some reason he wants it to break cause he gets a free one from our insurance company or something, i forgot. No way it would cost me 800 dollars for oil lol.

Thanks though, gives me an idea about it all i guess
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

and also, I don't know much about break pads (my mom or dad always bought mine cause i was busy with school, i paid them back and put them on), but I wonder if I can downgrade the break pads? I don't care if it stops a bit slower for a lot less money. My wrangler stops fine for me and it weighs a lot more than the evo.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

if you do all the work yourself, you will save a whole bunch of cash. remember the stealerships charges over sixty bux an hour.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

i think if u use cheap brake pads your rotors will get messed up. u gotta change the 3 differential fluids also.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 11:06 PM
Evolving Member

never cheap out with brakes!
Old Oct 6, 2005, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Stealth-Ghost
and also, I don't know much about break pads (my mom or dad always bought mine cause i was busy with school, i paid them back and put them on), but I wonder if I can downgrade the break pads? I don't care if it stops a bit slower for a lot less money. My wrangler stops fine for me and it weighs a lot more than the evo.

pls. don't even think about downgrading your pads. it's not worth it. i almost died because of that idea. not with the evo though. after that accident, i told my self, "i will not short change my self the the people that i'm with while riding my car". remember, there are no human spare parts that you can buy for your friends and yourself. upgrade not downgrade.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

k......going cheap on maintenance? real F'n DUMB. get the RIGHT parts the FIRST time and call it a day.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by azul gsr
pls. don't even think about downgrading your pads. it's not worth it. i almost died because of that idea. not with the evo though. after that accident, i told my self, "i will not short change my self the the people that i'm with while riding my car". remember, there are no human spare parts that you can buy for your friends and yourself. upgrade not downgrade.
how much of a downgrade did u go???
Old Oct 6, 2005, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by amprowler
how much of a downgrade did u go???
while i was waiting for my r4s, i went and bought napa pads. i was like...i'm not going to drive fast, i think i'll be ok. man, i was wrong.
i went under the semi and pushed the roof of my se-r all the way to the back seat.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 02:05 AM
Evolved Member

Most all the maint. is easy. All I can say is make sure you keep all the recepts because if there are any warranty problems the dealer will ask you for proof you did the work.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 05:20 AM
Evolving Member

Ok I wont cheap on the break pads then =P Was just a thought, like I said I don't know much about using different ones.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 05:48 AM

If you're gonna buy an 05 maintenance should be free for the first couple years. I think they're offering free gas for a year now too?? Once u turn the car on... warranty is gone.. lol