Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

safc II or AEM EMS

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2005, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
safc II or AEM EMS

hey guy i cannot make up my mind.
right now my car has safc II alone, do i really need logging device and a wideband 02?

if yes, why don't i just sell the safcII plus the money i need to spend on those 2 things and go buy AEM EMS?
(is it worth the money? since i never play with AEM EMS before)
Old Oct 7, 2005, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're comparing a piggy back fuel computer to a full on stand alone engine management.

You will need the sensors for the AEM, you don't "NEED" a wideband to tune an AFC, but it makes it a lot safer and easier.

Apples and Oranges
Old Oct 7, 2005, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

LOL...wow what a comparison.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 01:16 PM

i didn't mean compare it about work abillity.

i know that AEM EMS is alot better.
the things is I pay300 for my safc and someone come up to me and said, hey u need some logging device and a wideband o2, ohhhh and that will coast me at least $500 with tuning.
and i'll upgrade my turbo to WR soon. that why i need some information to make up my mind that, should i just get rid of safcII, go spend more money and get AEM EMS?

what do u guy think?
Old Oct 7, 2005, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Right, you know that AEM is a lot better, but do you know WHY?

Do you even track your car? AEM is really overkill for a daily driver.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

well let me say the AEM EMS kick *** but then it will cost you about $1700 + tuning. A good wide band will not cost you $500 There is a group buy now for Zietronix wide band for $279.00. So now you spend around $600. But to me since you keep asking so many questions about tuning it seems like you dont have any real idea how to tune. So my suggetion is get a custom ECU flash for your mods and that will cost you about as much as the safcII and the wideband you should get.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 01:26 PM

that's right, like i said I don't know about AEM EMS.
why is better and make ur car faster?
Old Oct 7, 2005, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Hey guys should I get a Ferrari or a Scion???
Old Oct 7, 2005, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Airpoppoff
Hey guys should I get a Ferrari or a Scion???
Get the Scion because you can get an OBX shift knob and TRD lowering springs and STILL HAVE YOUR FACTORY WARRANTY OH GOD OH GOD!!!!!!!!!! I BET YOU WON'T HAVE YOUR WARRANTY IF YOU PUT AN OBX SHIFT KNOB IN YOUR FERRARI!!!

2jzEVO: We have an AEM EMS forum, start readin'.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 01:32 PM

thank sr20de-t
Old Oct 7, 2005, 01:36 PM

i don't know why is so hard to ask newbie question to this forum.

and one more thing, I can't get the ferrari for sure becuase the price is more than evo that we drive every day for like 200,000. but for something for just 1000 more. may be if I know how it work and really worth the money I can save up some money and go buy.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 01:42 PM

If you want to data log and a wideband why not get the inovative unit. It is pretty dam cheap and has a built in data logger.

As far the the aem if you do not know much about tuning or how to tune don't buy it thinking plug and play means you plug it into your car and press a few buttons and it will work. I have been using the aem system in my civic since it first came out. I have one of the first 20 boxes. They had a lot of issues with the aem on the older versions but most have been worked out since they went to v 1.03 and higher.

What are your plans for the car? Also make sure someone local can tune your aem it is not the easiest system to set up and tune.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 01:44 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I have SAFC-II on my GT35r setup and it been running good so far but not maximizing its potential due to no direct timing control and injectors scaling. I'm thinking of getting the ECU+ next for the tune. If your car is on the luck side then when tuning with SAFC you will not run into problems like timing advance too high because of the injectors, able to take out fuel within the range (+-50%)... But if it's the other way that you ran into some problem as described then the AEM will able to solve those but the SAFC may not.

For wideband, I have Zeitronix and it's one of the best investment for the car. It let you know some good information about the car (ie. AFR, EGT, Boost) and provide logging when you need it. Hope it help. Enjoy.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2jzEVO
i don't know why is so hard to ask newbie question to this forum.

and one more thing, I can't get the ferrari for sure becuase the price is more than evo that we drive every day for like 200,000. but for something for just 1000 more. may be if I know how it work and really worth the money I can save up some money and go buy.
Are you kidding me? I was not serious.

It's not hard to ask a newbie question, But seriously you can find asstons of information on both of those products in less than 30 seconds if you use the handy search. See, its up there on the right. Highlighted in yellow. Gotta little box that comes down, and then you type in it and hit enter
Old Oct 7, 2005, 01:50 PM

Tuning technologies have tuned my car since the beginning.
and they told me that they also can tune aem.

i'll do more mod in the future for sure(that why i bought evo).

so... is there anyone that don't know the tuning and have that unit without a big problem?

if there a big problem waiting for me i'll better stay away from it

Quick Reply: safc II or AEM EMS