Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

engine whining noise - help please

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2005, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow engine whining noise - help please

hello all,

my car has something like 2.2k miles.

when i drive it hard, i notice there is a whining at about 5000-5500 RPM. It is very obvious as it doesn't sound like the turbo or the engine tone. I dont know how to describe it, it sounds like a high speed grind (2 gears???) Now this doesn't happen EVERYTIME. I've sat in a parking lot trying to reproduce the noise. Out of 7 times pushing the engine to 6000 rpm, I only heard the noise once. The sound is very brief (1-2 secs) and once I get out of the RPM range (5000-5500), it sounds normal.

I'm getting my car checked out but I would like to know if anyone has any ideas.

Note: I did follow the break-in procedures in the owners manual. I didn't push the car until past 1500 miles.

Thank you in advance for all the comments.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

What did you do when this started happening? Launching too hard? Swap out your tranny fluid and see if it quiets it down
Old Oct 7, 2005, 02:06 PM

I only launched the car once. I burned my clutch and am not going to do it again. But I haven't tried doing anything yet. Taking it to the dealer.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

well b4 u take it to the dealer - make sure its 100% stock..even if one of your hoses is a different color. U dont want them saying they wont cover it under warranty (whatever it may be)