Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sunoco Ultra 94 gas and EVO 8's

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2005, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, in here, the best I can from bump is 100 Octane from 76. It is about 2 miles from my home but it costs $5.39/gallon. I never tried to put that into my Evo yet, but will to see if it makes the mileage different.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

I though cali use to have sunoco here as well? I move to CA and have yet to see one..

I'm paying $3.20 for 91 octane
Old Oct 11, 2005, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

oh your girl lives in fort lee? is she korean? haha. i was there last night i go there all the time. you need any sources around fort lee/pal park all that let me know i know lots of people
Old Oct 11, 2005, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by trueno429
oh your girl lives in fort lee? is she korean? haha. i was there last night i go there all the time. you need any sources around fort lee/pal park all that let me know i know lots of people

Nope, my girl lives in Paterson, exit 56 off of RT 80. I pass thru the GWB on my way to her house. Most of the mileage on my EVO is from going to see her !!!!

she's not Korean, she's South American, Peruvian to be exact..... but as a latina she kinda can pass for Asian....

Thanks for the offer on the contacts... maybe later on
Old Oct 12, 2005, 04:34 AM
djh
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thedread
I thought the difference between lower and higher octane was in vapor pressure and burn rate.
No, the freakin' difference is resistance to knock! Anyone who tries to tell you higher octane gas has more energy/less energy, faster burn rate/slower burn rate, higher vapor pressure/lower vapor pressure, tastes great/less filling, etc., doesn't know what they're talking about. What octane rating means is not a matter of debate, it's a G-D ASTM standard, and it is exactly what the standard says it is. When it comes to octane, do not believe anything you read in a tooner mag or anything you read on the 'net unless it's Bruce Hamilton's Gas FAQ.

Dave
Old Oct 12, 2005, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I only run it to jack up the boost and advance timing....the car seriously does pick up assloads of power while on the "good" stuff but it has to be tuned to use it.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

out here in louisiana, we've got all the 93 octane we can handle haha
Old Oct 12, 2005, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by avengerhed
higher octane has nothing to do with better gas mileage. in fact, running higher-than-prescribed octane fuels can have a negative impact on your fuel economy
94 gave me crappier gas mileage. Also, almost all of the Sunoco's fold up. Very few are left locally. I think there's 1 or 2 stations in town with 94.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

unless u let ur ECU adapts thru enough , changing Octane coztz bad mileage
Old Oct 12, 2005, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by djh
No, the freakin' difference is resistance to knock! Anyone who tries to tell you higher octane gas has more energy/less energy, faster burn rate/slower burn rate, higher vapor pressure/lower vapor pressure, tastes great/less filling, etc., doesn't know what they're talking about. What octane rating means is not a matter of debate, it's a G-D ASTM standard, and it is exactly what the standard says it is. When it comes to octane, do not believe anything you read in a tooner mag or anything you read on the 'net unless it's Bruce Hamilton's Gas FAQ.

Dave
+1, and to the poster who said that higher octane burns faster...you're completely wrong.

DO SOME RESEARCH BEFORE YOU POST
Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

oh really? i pass paterson all the time when i go to fort lee.. yea GW bridge is mad expensive too. wow you dont get car jacked or anything while your in paterson? i get scared when i go there at night. Last year in the winter, me and my mom were in paterson and someone was like banging on our car at a traffic light and trying to get into the car. hahaha
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trueno429
oh really? i pass paterson all the time when i go to fort lee.. yea GW bridge is mad expensive too. wow you dont get car jacked or anything while your in paterson? i get scared when i go there at night. Last year in the winter, me and my mom were in paterson and someone was like banging on our car at a traffic light and trying to get into the car. hahaha

My girl lives in the nicer part of Paterson in a 1 family private house with a huge backyard.

I leave my car out front when I visit her and never had a problem....The people in the neighborhood and tenants are always alert of whats going on....

when I'm not around I leave the car in the yard in her driveway and a huge 7" tall fence blocks the car from everyones sight.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Generally, higher octane means higher resistance to knocking. Increasing boost without increasing fuel, means you increase your a/f which tends to make engine knock. So if you get higher octance which increase the knock-resistivity, you can increase boost. However, I don't know how big a difference it has between 93 and 94. This is what I understand. I might be wrong.