Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

ok im pissed with all these loud exhausts

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2005, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get a 3 inch downpipe with an external dump.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was thinking of just using a stock manifold and doing this to it.

Old Oct 11, 2005, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

I went with RMR it so far of all the local Evo's around is by far the quietest. I belive it's around 85db.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

dc sports downpipe with espelir exhaust and no cat was worth about 30+whp at least.you will get used to the sound plus the torque gains are awesome.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Buschur turboback with magnaflow muffler isnt to loud.....
Old Oct 11, 2005, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Junkboxer
i was told the most quiet exhausts are the AMS or RMR TB's....i heard the sound clips and they are def not close to stock..they are dam loud. truthfully i dont want an exhaust that bad but i know how beneficial they are to these cars so its a must if your gunna mod. im thinking of just geting the cat-back w/o the dp or tp or w/e else is included. now im assuming it will be quieter.....but will i be sacraficing gains?......so much so that it wouldnt be worth it to get the cat back by itself? thnx

what do you think i should do for good gains but suuuper quiet....and o ye i would like it to look nice as well
They are expensive, but worth it

www.haywardandscott.com

With a Cat installed, the system is very quite. I have it, and I love the way it sounds
Old Oct 11, 2005, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zstryder
Get a Fujitsubo. Even with a stock cat you'll be about as loud as stock. I went through the same journey of trying to filter out exhausts to see which one was quietest... even the JDM exahusts with silencers (JIC, HKS) are still pretty damn loud.

The Fujitsubo has satisfied that search - in the future there is no doubt that I will buy another Fujitsubo exhaust.
Fujitsubo is the quietist exahust, period!!!!! i have heard it with my own ears and if you search you will read about it!!!!!! ask people that have this exhaust
Old Oct 11, 2005, 08:51 PM
Account Disabled

Helix TBE the quietest one on the market....
Old Oct 11, 2005, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Junkboxer
i was told the most quiet exhausts are the AMS or RMR TB's....i heard the sound clips and they are def not close to stock..they are dam loud. truthfully i dont want an exhaust that bad but i know how beneficial they are to these cars so its a must if your gunna mod. im thinking of just geting the cat-back w/o the dp or tp or w/e else is included. now im assuming it will be quieter.....but will i be sacraficing gains?......so much so that it wouldnt be worth it to get the cat back by itself? thnx

what do you think i should do for good gains but suuuper quiet....and o ye i would like it to look nice as well
I have the AMS tbe w/ test pipe and yes it's very loud. On the flipside to this I was able to get ~30whp/~20tq over stock on a mustang dyno w/ no tuning whatsoever.

I just picked up a silencer from AMS this evening. Once installed, it's a complete night and day difference. Obviously with a silencer I'm going to lose a little hp because of less exhaust gas being able to come out, but it's hardly noticeable at all. The car still pulls like crazy and is super quiet now.

On a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being stock sound & 10 being AMS super crazy sound) the AMS tbe w/ silencer would be around 2 to 3. From idle it's even quieter than stock. At wot she sounds mean, but you can still hear your stock bov surprisingly well. Even driving on the highway, the engine whining is louder than the exhaust itself.

What's cool is that if I want the extra ~5hp (of course I'm guesstimating) that I lost w/ the silencer, I just have to unbolt 1 screw. If I had access to a vid cam or a microphone, I'd be able to record in-cabin and outside with & without silencer. Anyone local have one handy?

I agree that to get the most hp out of your car, a catback would not be the way to go.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

Buschur racing turbo back exhaust with magnaflow mufflers.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I Just got the greddy sp2, it just like stock at cruising, at wot it gives you a nice deep rumble not loud at all , I used to have a apexi N1 it was loud, but this no where near it liking it so far very close to stock, Im not sure about the power gains though I didn't feel too much difference maybe a little less boost tapper.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
APS High-Output 3" Turboback!!! Great gains, barely louder than stock, sounds better when under full boost, stock appearance!!!
Old Oct 11, 2005, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pd1
You might want to do a search on this, as there have been several threads discussing this very topic.

I went through the same search -- looking for the quietest exhaust that still performs much better than stock. The Fujitsubo is nice, but unfortunately, it necks down inside the resonators to about 2" from what I understand after talking with several dealers. The rest of the Fujitsubo TBE is 3".

The exhaust I ended up with is the AVO TBE. It's not cheap, but is very well made and very quiet compared to others. 94db vs the 85db you get with the stocker system. It has two resonators, but the system doesn't neck down anywhere throughout the entire TBE.

Another that may be worth considering is the APS system. I haven't done much research into it, but it seems to be of similar workmanship and I've heard it's also relatively quiet.

Good luck with your search, and with your future Evo!
APS makes a pretty good product. A buddy of mine has an APS exhaust on his '05 STi, and it has a nice tone to it, but it's not overly loud. He has a full TBE.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

someone needs to do a sound test with these exhausts and measure the DBA's
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

i borrowed my neigbors decibal reader and my friends EVO8 with:

HKS SILENT HIPER w/ a logic performance resonated TP and a Espelir DP made only 92DB @3000rpm

my APEXi GT SPEC alone makes 94.5DB @3000RPM and thats stock cat and DP.

Quick Reply: ok im pissed with all these loud exhausts