Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

ok im pissed with all these loud exhausts

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zze86
someone needs to do a sound test with these exhausts and measure the DBA's
I don't know if it'll be of any help to you guys, but over on one of the Subaru sites someone had posted a link to a bunch of soundclips for exhausts. You guys might wanna try www.iwsti.com or www.nasioc.com and do a search.....

I wish I had the link.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

AVO, Greddy SP2, Apex-i WS, RSR Big Muffler, Tanabe Big Muffler. These are the only quiet exhaust systems IMO.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:22 AM
Evolved Member

well just dont get a TP i have the A'pexi GT cat-back with A'pexi GT dp and ultimate racing HFC and its not that loud when crusing..now at WOT thats a different story...u shouldnt really be worried about sound..ur neighbors will get over it
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Well I see we got quite a few votes for being quiet, thanks guys.

Bottom line is there are a few ways to make a system quiet. Making it restrictive as hell is the easiest way and that is what many companies do and you can see it when you get a car on the dyno and the power sucks.

The other way to do it is to use good parts that still have great flow and DON'T cost you a ton of power.

Our full 3" turbo back does this. The pricing is the same no matter how you order or our exhaust, which works out great in this situation as it ends up saving you a ton of money.

Order our system with the 3" highflow cat and the Magnaflow muffler option. IF it is too loud then you have no business in an EVO Seriously it is quiet and still flows extemely well. System shipped to your door complete like this would be $825.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
if you want a quiet exhaust get a custom made exhaust from rre with the magnaflow muffler. it's barely louder than stock. lots of people run the setup and the power loss is minimal.

then wrap your dp too...
Old Oct 12, 2005, 06:00 AM
Evolving Member

I was considering a megan turboback with the resonated cat delete pipe. Then taking the cat back portion to someone who can do quality welding and have one or two resonators installed (3 inch of course). I had a 5Zigen on my old WRX but after one track day all the sound deading materal in the muffler burned out and it got pretty loud.

-Ron
Old Oct 12, 2005, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

magnaflow has a nice, pleasing sound to it
Old Oct 12, 2005, 06:48 AM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zstryder
94db is no laughing matter. That is VERY loud by any means. My silenced JIC was 87dB or so...
Keep in mind that the dB figures I quoted are the peak loudness for the systems. This is sort of like peak HP on a dyno -- it doesn't mean everything.

87dB with a silencer is great, but it probably performs worse than the stock system (this has been well-documented).

I've heard the Fujitsubo TBE with my own ears, and it does sound very understated. At idle, it could be mistaken for stock. Upon revving, it's only slightly louder than stock. I belive the official peak on this system is 93-94dB.

That said, this "sounded" (pun intended) like the perfect exhaust for me...until I learned that the 3" system actually necks down *inside* the resonators (2). Any sort of neck-down hinders performance, and that defeats the point of an aftermarket exhaust system; in my mind, at least.

After doing extensive research into this topic, I ended up with another system that is in the 93-94dB area that has only one resonator, and does *not* neck down inside it. This is the AVO TBE. The way they quiet the noise is by using a larger (and about stock-sized) hi-flow muffler. Again, the workmanship on this piece is widely regarded as second-to-none. If you do a search, you will find individuals who have this system and all of them say it is very quiet...almost like stock. They will also say that it gives a solid power improvement as well. While this more quiet system may sacrifice 2hp (or thereabouts) compared to a much louder system (such as the AMS solution), I feel it's certainly worth it. If you are building a sleeper, like me, or simply don't want the unneeded attention from the police or ricers, you may agree.

Good luck, and happy Evoing.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

What about wrapping the entire exhaust with exhaust wrap? A friend did this to his 3" SS system on his Eclipse and said it was like night/day. He sprayed it with aluminum paint to prevent fraying/rot, and used hose clamps at each segment end to keep it from unravelling.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:31 AM

pretty much i dont want it loud when im crusing at like 5, 10, 20, 15 mph. my tiburon drones soooo loud and everything in my car vibrates like ***. also it idles pretty loud too which i hate.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Go to a meet and check out the exhausts. Maybe the AVO is that quiet, I don't know. All I can tell you is the Fujitsubo works wonders - and I'm only short 10hp or so from buschur exhaust equipped cars with the exact same mods (cammed, geared, and 10.5 hotsided).
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
APS makes a pretty good product. A buddy of mine has an APS exhaust on his '05 STi, and it has a nice tone to it, but it's not overly loud. He has a full TBE.

APS is sex on the boxer motor, havent heard it on an evo yet, but its by far the best made exhaust ive seen. Ive got the TXS with resonated TP and its not that loud unless you get on it.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xLaNcErEvOx
APS High-Output 3" Turboback!!! Great gains, barely louder than stock, sounds better when under full boost, stock appearance!!!
+1
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO MR FU
I Just got the greddy sp2, it just like stock at cruising, at wot it gives you a nice deep rumble not loud at all , I used to have a apexi N1 it was loud, but this no where near it liking it so far very close to stock, Im not sure about the power gains though I didn't feel too much difference maybe a little less boost tapper.
DO YOU HAVE ANY SOUND CLIPS OF THE GREDDY?
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Junkboxer
pretty much i dont want it loud when im crusing at like 5, 10, 20, 15 mph. my tiburon drones soooo loud and everything in my car vibrates like ***. also it idles pretty loud too which i hate.
Don't compare the Evo exhaust sound to your tib. The turbo itself already makes the exhaust alot quieter than on a NA motor. But def check out some Evos at a meet and see what you like.

Quick Reply: ok im pissed with all these loud exhausts