Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

ok im pissed with all these loud exhausts

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ibanez_926
just get buschur with the hfc and magnaflow exhaust, even my mom said it wasnt that loud
Same here lol.. my dad has even commented on how good it sounds. Even with a test pipe it's not bad. HFC is very queit for sure!
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i used to run a test pipe with stock exhaust. sounds exactly like stock and it gained more hp than a catback. i think thats what u should do.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

AFIK, the Fujitsubo RMO1A does not neck down to 2" at the resonator. It's a one-piece cat-back so I'd like to know how these "shops" know it necks down to 2"? Did they cut it open? At $700 a pop, I think not. You can see the first resonator from the engine side of the exhaust and I don't remember thinking "crap" it necks down to 2"! They advertise it as a full 3" straight through exhaust (or metric thereabouts). I went from an HKS Hi-Power (used for a week) to the Fujitsubo. One would definitely know the exhaust has been modified with the HKS due to the angle and the noise. It's pretty darn quiet, but it doesn't pass the "wife test" like the Fujitsubo does. I seriously doubt the Buscher exhaust is anywhere near stock sounding. Noise can be cancelled out several different ways and frequencies can be tuned. Ways of doing this include number of mufflers and/or resonators, distance between resonators/mufflers, tubing wall thickness, material, core perforation shape, core material, etc...as David said, a powerful exhaust that's quiet can be made but it takes lots of R&D. I just swapped in a resonated test pipe with the RM01A and it's damn quiet for a full turbo back exhaust. Yep, louder than stock, but not as loud as the HKS cat-back by itself with the stock cat and downpipe. No kidding. Ok, all things being equal, maybe the HKS makes 5 more hp. Think you're going to notice? I don't think so.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Greddy Evo2 is quiet as a mouse...until WOT..then its a little louder, but not overtly obnoxious. Fit and Finish is perfect. I am very happy with mine.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 04:01 PM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Mr. Stock,

First of all, don't think that I'm dissing any exhaust systems out there, including the Fujitsubo. My posts simply represent my own experience and viewpoint on the matter.

That said, here is a post from Kami (vendor) who opened up the Fujitsubo RM-01A exhaust and measured the inside diameter *within* the resonator (I noticed you said my claim was that it necked down at the resonator...it's actually inside it). My mistake, by the way, it necks down to 2.5" not 2". Either way, a neck down of any kind in an expensive exhaust system is unacceptable to me.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...8&page=4&pp=15
Old Oct 13, 2005, 07:16 AM
Account Disabled

Unless you are going for a 500 whp monster, that neck down that far back in the system is not going to amount to a hill of beans...a few hp at the peak, tops. For some, the reduced volume, and the fit and finish of many of the larger brand exhausts is worth it...to others, it's not...pick your poison.

Loud is a completely relative term - there are some who say the HKS is not loud, others who think it is obnoxious. It is in the eye of the beholder, and no soundclip is going to give you any idea unless we start lining up exhausts and bd meters and use the same equipment on the same car and test one after the other.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; Oct 13, 2005 at 07:19 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 07:22 AM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
...and no soundclip is going to give you any idea unless we start lining up exhausts and db meters and use the same equipment on the same car and test one after the other.
Like this?

http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/modu...view_album.php
Old Oct 13, 2005, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi guys,

I had a Helix CB, and it was just to loud with my Helix DP and RT HFC, even with the silencer.

FWIW, I dynoed my car at Pruven with and without the silencer, and it was a ~50 WHP loss.. I didn't think it "felt" that much slower either... It may not be that bad, since the A/F probe was in the pipe as well, making the opening even smaller, but it's probably a significant loss, even worse than stock.

Sooooo, I ended up going back to stock cat-back for now. I'm either going to get one of these "quiet" catbacks, or try an exhaust cutout. I'm a little worried about the cutout, since I've "heard" that they always fail after awhile, and I don't want it to fail open while I'm driving home from work, lol... Oh well, I wonder if I can rig a manual failsafe for an electronic cutout, so I can close the opening with winguts or something like the other manual cutouts...

~lates,

FB
Old Oct 13, 2005, 10:17 AM
Account Disabled

Hey Mr. Stock,

Any dyno or track results after swapping to the Fujitsubo RMO1A?
Old Nov 3, 2005, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Well I see we got quite a few votes for being quiet, thanks guys.

Bottom line is there are a few ways to make a system quiet. Making it restrictive as hell is the easiest way and that is what many companies do and you can see it when you get a car on the dyno and the power sucks.

The other way to do it is to use good parts that still have great flow and DON'T cost you a ton of power.

Our full 3" turbo back does this. The pricing is the same no matter how you order or our exhaust, which works out great in this situation as it ends up saving you a ton of money.

Order our system with the 3" highflow cat and the Magnaflow muffler option. IF it is too loud then you have no business in an EVO Seriously it is quiet and still flows extemely well. System shipped to your door complete like this would be $825.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
On the website when you add those parts it comes to $895. If I want to purchase this TBE for $825 should I just pm you?
Old Nov 3, 2005, 11:28 PM

Hey guys...no one has mentioned about the RSR Exmag exhaust. From what I've been reading, It's one of the most quietest aftermarket exhausts out there. Heres a thread on it: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...5&page=1&pp=15

Let me know what you guys think because I'm interested in this exhaust as well.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

I dont know what half the guys are talking about saying the HKS exhausts are loud. Two of my friends have 3" turbobacks (1 with cat, 1 w.o) and I think theyre quiet.

My Helix is 3x as loud and would completely silence them.

On another note, Ive heard the Greddy Titanium is very loud, however, I heard one on a stock DP/cat combo and it was hardly louder than stock. It was a joke how quiet it was.

I didnt get the Helix because it was loud, I got it because it was 3" SS and true 3" no neckdowns and was angled... and under $400! Nevertheless, its probably the loudest 3" exhaust for the EVO and I really love the sound. Everyone comments how good and just straight up nasty it sounds (I mean that in a good way). WOT sounds so mean its hard to believe its an import! Quiet exhausts arent for me, their for Lexus!
Old Nov 4, 2005, 04:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR 8U
I just picked up a silencer from AMS this evening. Once installed, it's a complete night and day difference. Obviously with a silencer I'm going to lose a little hp because of less exhaust gas being able to come out, but it's hardly noticeable at all. The car still pulls like crazy and is super quiet now.

What's cool is that if I want the extra ~5hp (of course I'm guesstimating) that I lost w/ the silencer, I just have to unbolt 1 screw. If I had access to a vid cam or a microphone, I'd be able to record in-cabin and outside with & without silencer. Anyone local have one handy?
5 hp? My silencer was robbing 39 whp on a mustang dyno.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=167223

Now that I know it, I'm on a mission to find a quieter catback or put back the original.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Nada. Don't take her to the track unfortunately. I'll have the car back on the dyno sometime soon as Jester Tuning will be doing a custom flash. Really won't be much of a comparison because I now have a resonated test pipe and will have a manual boost controller here shortly.

Originally Posted by turbo4
Hey Mr. Stock,

Any dyno or track results after swapping to the Fujitsubo RMO1A?
Old Nov 4, 2005, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Well I see we got quite a few votes for being quiet, thanks guys.

Bottom line is there are a few ways to make a system quiet. Making it restrictive as hell is the easiest way and that is what many companies do and you can see it when you get a car on the dyno and the power sucks.

The other way to do it is to use good parts that still have great flow and DON'T cost you a ton of power.

Our full 3" turbo back does this. The pricing is the same no matter how you order or our exhaust, which works out great in this situation as it ends up saving you a ton of money.

Order our system with the 3" highflow cat and the Magnaflow muffler option. IF it is too loud then you have no business in an EVO Seriously it is quiet and still flows extemely well. System shipped to your door complete like this would be $825.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Hey David,
Don't think I'm highjacking ....
I am currently running your 2.5" downpipe, stock cat, and 2.5" muffler delete. I am upgrading to your 3" TBE, but need your advice whether to go with the BR muffler or Magnaflow. I am looking for a little more noise than my current set-up, but don't want to wake the neigbors or set off their car alarms. What would you recommend?
Thanks

Quick Reply: ok im pissed with all these loud exhausts