Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

ok im pissed with all these loud exhausts

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2005, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you need to find your price range first, then find a exhaust that is quiet enough to your approval.

But get the car and then worry about the exhaust is probably the best way!
Old Nov 9, 2005, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
You don't have to contact us directly for the $825 price, you can order via online if you like. You will be charged the $825 regardless of what the online ordering says, we would correct it as to not rip anyone off.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Nov 9, 2005, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

I assume that you want it to sound good as well as quiet.

The best bet is to go with a system where you have the same diameter fron the turbo back. Changing diameter abruptly will make really annoying (and sometimes loud) noises at a certain rpm or when you back off the throttle.

I have the Tomei turbo outlet, Mine's test pipe, and Greddy Ti. Funnily enough, it's not all that loud. [all are same diameter].

The best bet is to listen for yourself. It is possible to make an exhaust sliencer to keep things real quiet at say, 3000rpm and go ape at 7000.

Even worse is just to look at the dB rating. It's a log scale, so a 3db difference is about 10times the sound pressure level. How much a loudness increase will be perceived it totally different again.

p.s. I think it's illegal to employ someone to work in an environment of greate than 120dB without ear protection....
Old Nov 9, 2005, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an Injen full 3" turbo-housing-back with cat delete and my exhaust is very quiet from the inside at normal driving speeds. You can hardly tell the difference from stock.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by x838nwy
t's a log scale, so a 3db difference is about 10times the sound pressure level. How much a loudness increase will be perceived it totally different again.
That's not right. A 3dB difference is double the loudness/energy, but the average person with healthy ears cannot discern a 3dB difference in a normal environment (it is different if you are in a controlled, testing lab). Human ears do not interpret all frequencies linearly, however, as we attenuate lower and higher frequency sounds. So in reality, what we perceive as a 2x increase of loudness is much closer to a 10dB difference.

Instead, we use the dB A-weighted scale, or dBA, to more accurately represent what our ears perceive. Using a dBA scale, I have tested exhausts before at a local Evo meet. Ranges were generally from the stock 74dBA, to 82dbA HKS/JIC exhausts, 96dBA Buschur (with racing muffler).

96dBA, measured at about 3 feet from the exit of the muffler, was pretty damn loud. I imagine the sound is somewhat dulled from inside the cabin but I cannot imagine it to be much better. Since everyone's ears are different, and people with damaged ears will have a better tolerance for louder noises, my suggestion stays - to hear them for yourself in person.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the correction.

It's a log10 scale. So 10dB difference is 10x greater. So yes, you're right 3dB would be about double.

My point is that while the numbers tell you which is louder, the relative difference shold really be heard.

From what I have seen, most sites advertise loudness in dB, and not the weighted dBA, which as you point out would be more accurate. I don't know if the meters measure and weight the value and dB in this case actually implies dBA.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
crap... checking what i said.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Note: My Greddy is a Power Extreme Ti and _NOT_ the Power Extreme Ti-R which I believe is fairly mental (93dB @ 4875rpm).

The Ti (no R) is Jasma compliant, which is a Japanese noise level standard of some type. I don't know their figures but I think they measure it at 0.5m from the rear of the car, at a 45deg angle to the length of the car and the same level as the exhaust outlet.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
didn't know they had two kinds... is there a resonator on yours?
Old Nov 10, 2005, 01:40 AM
Evolved Member

From looking under my car, there's a slim silencer-like thing in the 'centre' pipe. I think the Ti-R has nothing at all but just a straight pipe right up to the tail silencer.

As I recall, the Ti has a 70mm pipe diameter and a 115mm tip, the Ti-R has an 80mm pipe diameter and the same tip.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by atlvalet
You could also add resonators to an exhaust you already have too.
How?
Could u please tell me where to find them? I've never seen resonators on any vendor's web site. My Logic Perf. catback makes great power but it is too loud (no cat). I'm thinking about going back to stock or get a quiter TB.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOfunk
How?
Could u please tell me where to find them? I've never seen resonators on any vendor's web site. My Logic Perf. catback makes great power but it is too loud (no cat). I'm thinking about going back to stock or get a quiter TB.

LPI/Megan makes a resonated test pipe that will quiet the exhaust down a lot. LPI has it listed on their site. I just took LPI's off my car in favor of a straight pipe. Its for sale if your interested.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

I heard the rsr mag exhuast is the quietest
Old Nov 24, 2005, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
buschur turboback was too quiet for me so i changed the muffler... i don't give a puck about sound...pcuk the neighbors.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am seeing kick a** performance with the 3" Buschur cat back with the Magnaflow and it is almost as quiet as stock too.

Quick Reply: ok im pissed with all these loud exhausts